Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Door panel (no locking knob?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default RS Door panel (no locking ****?)

Go idea or really bad?? Will I lock myself inside the car if there is no driver's side lock bezel?

I've deleted the radio face plate and built a homemade speaker delete rear parcel shelf, so the only remnants of the stereo system are the stock door cards.

Going for a clean, minimal interior, so Appbiz RS door cards are on the way.

The panel will have the cut outs for the door handle, door release pull tab, and window switches.

I'm thinking of leaving out the door lock bezels? At the very least the passenger's side door lock bezel (I don't think anyone has ever used it...)

From inside the car, I can unlock the doors via the driver's lock bezel, but you can't turn the passenger's side bezel (when locked). The central lock switch on the center console locks also both doors, but I'm not sure it unlocks the doors (need to confirm). If the central switch locks and unlocks the doors, then I'm set. (I think?)

What am I giving up by covering the passenger side door locking bezel?

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-24-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:17 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it!

It looks much cleaner without the *****

Here is my interior

Name:  ThwxO3q.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  A8nj351.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  44.7 KB

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 06-28-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM
memo555
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Do agree it's much cleaner without!

Even though I am not a safety freak by any means, I will be putting mine in so that I can get out of the car in case of an accident etc. Less concerned about having no power / battery drainage as I would already be out of the car (in theory) with keys in my hand.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
Do it!

It looks much cleaner without the *****

Here is my interior
Stunning. You interior is at a level mine can only hope to reach one day. Those seats! That steering wheel. Nice touch with the door handle and fire extinguisher also. Do you have a rear cage also?

I sat in the car and played with the lock buttons and *****... after pressing the lock button on the center console, you can only unlock the car with the door *****. You'd think that repetitively pressing the button would lock AND unlock the doors. No, just lock...

Therefore I'll only install the driver's side ****, and keep the passenger's side plain and install later if there are any issues.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:45 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Stunning. You interior is at a level mine can only hope to reach one day. Those seats! That steering wheel. Nice touch with the door handle and fire extinguisher also. Do you have a rear cage also?

I sat in the car and played with the lock buttons and *****... after pressing the lock button on the center console, you can only unlock the car with the door *****. You'd think that repetitively pressing the button would lock AND unlock the doors. No, just lock...

Therefore I'll only install the driver's side ****, and keep the passenger's side plain and install later if there are any issues.
Hey 911Jetta, for what it's worth, the central locking button will both lock and unlock the doors on my 1991 964. I think there may be something not working if yours only unlocks, unless it is an odd model-year difference. Maybe an actuator or a bad connection?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

That was the plan to have half cage. But I like the back seat space to carry stuff. Currently with the BK truss bar.

I have toreb's remote unlock. So that helps. I wonder if toreb could come up with a solution to make the lock button a true toggle. One press lock, subsequent press to unlock.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sooner964
Hey 911Jetta, for what it's worth, the central locking button will both lock and unlock the doors on my 1991 964. I think there may be something not working if yours only unlocks, unless it is an odd model-year difference. Maybe an actuator or a bad connection?

Interesting.... (mine only locks)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM
samfre
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Interesting.... (mine only locks)
Mine only locks as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by samfre
Mine only locks as well.
My understanding is that the central locking switch should both lock and unlock the doors. I haven't had issues myself, but looking at a few threads, it seems there are a few things that could cause abnormal behavior.

1. Fuse 12 (15 A) is for central locking
2. Microswitches inside the doors at the door lock barrels fail
3. Actuators can fail
4. The connecting rod/ball may be seized or disconnected

But those things all seem like your locks either will work or won't but not halfway.

The thing I think might be the issue is a failing Central Locking Module, which for early cars (89-91?) is located under the passenger dash, and later cars (91?-94) is under the passenger seat.

Here are a few threads that may be useful:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l-locking.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...problem-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ing-issue.html

Again, I have yet to have issues with my system's operation so I don't think I can be much more help at the present, but I'll try if I can.

Good luck!
- Ben
Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

But doesn't the pull strap unlock the doors?

Center button to lock.
Pull strap to unlock - even after a crash with no battery power.

Why would you even need the *****?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:11 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sooner964
My understanding is that the central locking switch should both lock and unlock the doors. I haven't had issues myself, but looking at a few threads, it seems there are a few things that could cause abnormal behavior.
Great info. and thanks for the thread links!
Looks like I have problem that needs a little research. Hope it's a simple fuse issue.

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
But doesn't the pull strap unlock the doors?

Center button to lock.
Pull strap to unlock - even after a crash with no battery power.

Why would you even need the *****?
You might be right, if everything is working correctly...

I tried that this morning, and with the doors locked via the center console switch, I couldn't open the doors with the door handle. I needed to turn the **** to unlock/open the door.

Either way I'm going to install just the driver's side **** (as a mechanical backup), and delete the passenger's side for a cleaner, simpler, look.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Mmmm, no. I think I am wrong. That pull strap only unlatches the door, it doesn't unlock it. Sorry for any confusion.

I know my center button will both lock and unlock the doors IF the ignition is on.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:57 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Mmmm, no. I think I am wrong. That pull strap only unlatches the door, it doesn't unlock it. Sorry for any confusion.

I know my center button will both lock and unlock the doors IF the ignition is on.
That is a good point, my button will only work if the ignition switch is in ON or RUN. If the car is totally powered off, I can only lock/unlock using the ***** while inside the vehicle.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:57 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

wow. we should get a pole on this. see whose cars have working central lock. Mine only locks too. Never thought it was actually faulty.

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 06-29-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:48 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine only locks. 89 C4.
Also it beeps when locked. So I never lock it.

Quick Reply: RS Door panel (no locking knob?)