Sponsored by:

door locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default door locking issue

I know theres a few central locking threads kicking about but the symptoms dont quite match the issue I have.

Basically:
The key will unlock the doors but not lock them(both)
The manual locking ***** work on both doors
The lock/unlock button in the center console will only lock the doors but not unlock them.

Any ideas?

Heres a pic of the (new) car:
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money would be on the central locking relay. The symptoms are very similar to my own - passenger door would not unlock when opening form the drivers side but both doors would lock down. Passenger door could be locked and unlocked with the key. Once I had unlocked the passenger door from inside with the **** it would lock down from the console switch but then wouldn't unlock from it. And it was all a bit intermittent so I tried battery changes and stripped doors down to check micro switches and actuators to no avail.

Finally, I bought a second hand relay from ebay and everything started working properly!

Before doing that I would unplug it and clean up the pins to eliminate a simple dry joint problem. If that doesn't work, here's one for 35 quid on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-96...item2584cc65b9

That one is a 964 one but a 944 one is the same (just needs taking out of the plastic case and putting in your existing one.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 PM
jevvy964
Pro

superb thanks dude. I'm sure I have a spare one one of those kicking about somewhere so I'll give that a go. Hate pulling door cards so trying to leave that as a last resort.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a very similar problem with my car. I ended up pulling the door cards a couple of times before I solved it. It turned out that the micro-switch in the driver side door handle was defective. I found out you can't buy the sensor separately and ended up buying a new door handle and re-keying to match my existing keys. Central locking system work great now.

Last edited by Mixter; 11-25-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Before doing that I would unplug it and clean up the pins to eliminate a simple dry joint problem. If that doesn't work, here's one for 35 quid on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-96...item2584cc65b9
Thanks dude.

Based on the tips from boxsey I went hunting for this bad-boy on the car(Door lock module 911 618 113 01)

.....but I could only find this under right hand seat:

Which according to the http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/ 928 site is:
New alarm unit 928.618.260.00 made by Megamos. Used in 928 from 1991 onwards, and located underneath the right hand seat. It replaces the Alarm units and Warning light unit. Its a processor controlled diagnosis capable controller that handles anti-theft, interior light delay, window control and sunroof, and central locking. Its used in all Porsche '91 vehicles and onwards. It has diag capabilities.

Anyways I swapped it for a working one, no change. Put mine into the working car and it worked as it should so I think we can rule that out.

Does that unit replace the door-lock unit on 91+ cars? Or do I still have a door lock unit elsewhere, car is LHD.

The control module under the dash in the right hand footwell is for the spoiler so ruled that one out. I read that it is sometimes mounted up behind the right hinge of the front hood but I cant see anything in that area on mine. Any other ideas or is it that the 928 618 260 part shown above has replaced it?

I also pulled the drivers door panel + door handle and everything seems to work as it should, I didnt think this was really the problem as the key lock feature on both doors failed at the same time so dont really suspect the micro switches but thought I'd check.

I've pulled and inspected every fuse and swapped a few relays with working one but still no change.

So to summarise:
The key will not lock either door
The key will unlock both doors
Unlocking with the key unlocks both doors at the same time as it should
The interior manual locking ***** work on both doors
The lock/unlock button in the center console will only lock the doors but not unlock them

Any thoughts...?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be way out there in your problem & random but my passenger lock stopped working and after checking all the electrical stuff I found rusty metal in the lock mech itself from the old rusty inner door scraper....
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm having the same issue. Was there any resolution here?

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

So the humming sound is the tiny fan behind the climate control unit. It is always running. I have posted up on another thread to solution to that one.

In the meantime I do still have the problem with the central locking switch on the center console that will lock the doors when I'm in the car, but will not unlock them. I have to manually turn the door **** and both locks actuate and unlock. Any thoughts here? I assume the central locking system also unlocks the doors, right. Maybe it's only designed to lock.

Thanks all.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM
911S3.6
Pro

I'll throw in on this as well for any similarities:
mine will unlock both doors with key in locks, and central locking switch on console.
But, will only lock the driver side with key in either door lock and central console switch- the passenger side has to be manually pushed down down to lock.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 AM
914+964
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Thanks dude.

Based on the tips from boxsey I went hunting for this bad-boy on the car(Door lock module 911 618 113 01)

.....but I could only find this under right hand seat:

Which according to the http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/ 928 site is:
New alarm unit 928.618.260.00 made by Megamos. Used in 928 from 1991 onwards, and located underneath the right hand seat. It replaces the Alarm units and Warning light unit. Its a processor controlled diagnosis capable controller that handles anti-theft, interior light delay, window control and sunroof, and central locking. Its used in all Porsche '91 vehicles and onwards. It has diag capabilities.

Anyways I swapped it for a working one, no change. Put mine into the working car and it worked as it should so I think we can rule that out.

Does that unit replace the door-lock unit on 91+ cars? Or do I still have a door lock unit elsewhere, car is LHD.

The control module under the dash in the right hand footwell is for the spoiler so ruled that one out. I read that it is sometimes mounted up behind the right hinge of the front hood but I cant see anything in that area on mine. Any other ideas or is it that the 928 618 260 part shown above has replaced it?

I also pulled the drivers door panel + door handle and everything seems to work as it should, I didnt think this was really the problem as the key lock feature on both doors failed at the same time so dont really suspect the micro switches but thought I'd check.

I've pulled and inspected every fuse and swapped a few relays with working one but still no change.

So to summarise:
The key will not lock either door
The key will unlock both doors
Unlocking with the key unlocks both doors at the same time as it should
The interior manual locking ***** work on both doors
The lock/unlock button in the center console will only lock the doors but not unlock them

Any thoughts...?
Your summary sounds EXACTLY like the problem that I have been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. I just went out to my car ('93 964 C4) to verify that the centre console button behaved the same as yours. I found that, without the ignition on, it was the same but, if I turned the ignition on, it worked as expected.

Then, to top it off, I tried the locks (i.e. key in door lock) and everything works fine ... both doors. I hate problems like this!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by 914+964
Your summary sounds EXACTLY like the problem that I have been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. I just went out to my car ('93 964 C4) to verify that the centre console button behaved the same as yours. I found that, without the ignition on, it was the same but, if I turned the ignition on, it worked as expected.

Then, to top it off, I tried the locks (i.e. key in door lock) and everything works fine ... both doors. I hate problems like this!
Sorry to hear you are having similar problems. I haven't sorted mine yet, in fact I haven't even looked at it again since I'm not using the car. That said I've got some free time this weekend so I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 AM
Waltec
Track Day

Also mine car has the same symptoms, any news regarding solution?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Depending on the MY of the 964 they had two different latching mechanisms the earlier cars had only one tang or metal piece extending upward allowing you to unlock the door with the key and no power but will not allow you to lock the car with key and no power.

Sometime I believe in MY 91 they changed over to a two tang or metal piece that allowed the key to lock and unlock the doors without power.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Rennlisters

Had a hard fail on my central locking system. Weird symptoms. 1992 C2 LHD

Unlock with T-lock= yes but no alarm
Lock with t-lock = no
Lock and unlock with console button = yes but no alarm
Manual lock or unlock with key = no

Fuse 12 = ok
Door switches = move freely and Well insulated

After searching the threads I decided to pull the central lock unit from under the passenger seat. Cracked it open but didn't see any obvious dry joints or burnt components. Sprayed a little contact cleaner on the connectors and put everything back together.

Used my T-Lock and now the locks all fire and the alarm turns on.

You guys have a wealth of knowledge that gives me a more confidence to tackle these projects deeper than I might otherwise. Appreciate the community we have here.

Quick Reply: door locking issue