Sponsored by:

Dash deformed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 08:52 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dash deformed

There is a picture of a 1991 Cab. selling on ebay with the dash deformed (or bulged up) on the right side above the glove compartment, up near the defroster outlet. It could be a picture of mine as I have the exact same deformation. Does anyone know what causes this and if there is a solution to repair it (short of purchasing a new dash)?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was a long thread on this awhile back. I can't find it, perhaps lost with the most recent server or software change?

Anyway, there's a factory TB that seems to describe how to repair this warp. But, at least one rennlister tried this, with poor results (worse than what he started with). I think several people have tried fixing the warp, and wound up wishing they hadn't tried.

My own local upholstery guru confirms that this is common, and the only way to repair it is to buy a $new$ dash.

On the plus side, the "warp" is typically on the subtle side--almost looks like it belongs there, if you don't know the car better. Unlike a leather dash that's curling/shrinking, which can be very noticeable and unattractive.

Last edited by Randall G.; 11-20-2003 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:59 AM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

The warp is typically caused by a combination of (a) prolonged exposure to heat/sunlight and (b) the fact that the defroster vent lip on the pre-92 cars did not quite sit over the top of the leading edge of the dash, but instead almost parallel to it.

The only TSB that I recall didn't have much info on how to actually try and "fix" a warped dash. One they're warped, they're warped, IMO, and the only good solution is to replace the dash. The good news is that the dash isn't outrageously expensive (assuming its basic black vinyl, not leather covered), and isn't that difficult to replace, although some of the studs require patience to reach.

The text of the TSB is shown below. It deals primarily with how to reposition the center defroster vent so it sits on top of the (new) dash to prevent warping by either pulling out the brackets with a slide hammer, or using washers. A better solution, IMO, that is not mentioned, is to use the later style "12 Hole" defroster vent (which is also plastic instead of the earlier metal version, P/N 964.552.411.00 5XJ,) which seems to sit out a little farther over the edge and on top of the leading edge of the dash.

It uses the same five mounting screw bracket positions as the earlier version and, as far as I can tell, accomplishes the same thing without having to slide hammer out your brackets or stick washers in there. I'm guessing (although don't know for a fact) that this later defroster vent was the factory fix going forward, as the TSB is limited to '91 and earlier cars, and I don't recall seeing a warped dash on any 993's or '92 and later 964's.

Good luck,
Tim

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dashboard Cover - Deformed

91porsche05

October 11, 1991

Model Group

911 C2/C4 7
911 turbo

Part Identifier Number

7019 9101

Subject: Dashboard Cover Deformed

ATTENTION: Service Manager/Service Technician

Models Affected: 911 Carrera 2/4, model years '89 (K), '90 (L), '91 (M)
911 turbo, model year '91 (M)

Concern: Wavy appearance of dashboard cover in the area of the defroster vent.

Repair Information: Dashboard covers which have a wavy appearance in the area of the defroster vent can be repaired. In addition, after replacement of a damaged dashboard cover, the defroster vent should protrude over the edge of the dashboard cover.

Where repairs are necessary, remove defroster vent. Use slide hammer with a suitable tip (Figure 1) to move defroster vent brackets straight rearward (Figure 2).

Careful: Only light tapping of slide hammer is required to move the brackets.

Additionally, washers can be installed between the defroster vent mounting points and the brackets to obtain a good fit for the defroster vent.

Install defroster vent and check alignment.

Warranty Claim Information: Damage Code: 7019 30 000 1
Old 11-20-2003, 02:57 AM
botoo
Instructor

Hi Tim,
Yes, I saw that TSB and agree that their solution seems to be to prevent a new dash from deforming again, although they say the dash can be repaired. I do have the 12 hole plastic continuous vent, however it doesn't sit back and cover the edge of the dash.

I'm wondering if a high heat of the dash and a little hand work after the dash has been removed wouldn't reverse the damage. The dash is a really hard black material. I would then make sure the vent would cover the edge after reinstallation.

I will also keep a lookout for a new dash piece.
Thanks for the posts,
Old 11-21-2003, 03:53 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Very strange, I have the newer 12 hole plastic vent on my 03 /1990 built C4 and it sits further back covering the dash properly. I have no record of it's installation either. I also have 2 slight bumps which I initially thought were part of the dash construction as they are perfectly straight and look similiar to an airbag housing ( in cars that have airbags dash mounted ). Now that I read this post, I wonder if those are actually the annoying bulges ?? Is the dash supposed to be completely smooth to the right of the 2 dash mounted vents ? Regards, Brady
Old 11-21-2003, 11:41 AM
botoo
Instructor

Hi, Here is a picture of the dash. A link is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156
Old 11-21-2003, 01:19 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Your the newest member of the " Humpback Dash Club ". See the thread Remedy for Warped Dash. I just live with it.
The following users liked this post:
Adams (07-17-2024)
Old 11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Thanks for posting the pic. My bumps are completely different. Mine are veritical and go from the bottom of the dash towards the windshield ?? I will have to take a look at some other 964's here to see if they have the same thing. Regards, Brady
Old 11-21-2003, 02:24 PM
delhi
Racer

is this only a 964 issue?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's the typical warp, Rich. I have it, too. This is one I can live with.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was severely warped when I purchased it (ends by the doors were about 2" up). A recovered leather one from einmalig was only ~$400, and installed in about 1 1/2 hours (most of that time spend unbolting the #$&^*%$)$# 10mm nut just to the left of the dash vent.

carl.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carl,

Curious....was your original dash leather?
Old 11-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, that ebay car has one seriously banged up "smile." Needs a new spoiler wall, too. Nice tail-lights and center reflector, though.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randall,

Yes my original dash was leather, that's why i replaced with leather. The PO must have stored it outdoors since the rear deck leather was also all dried up and shrunk. I was able to re-stretch it and get it looking original.

carl.

Quick Reply: Dash deformed