Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much valve clearance, known item???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....... I will have enough oil for my lawn mower then for the next 50 years....
I don't mess with oil, I will fill a new 9.5 liters of oil. Engine is too expensive to mess around with dumm savings. Probably this christmas we will eat rice crackers
Old 11-19-2003, 07:09 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seemed like everyone misadjust their valve clearance /w too much cleareance.

When I did mine for the first time months ago, it ended up sounding like a tractor with all the clackings. Opened it up and did it again. Sounded better but still clicks.

Sigh. Too lazy to do it again. Been running fine so far for 10K. I'll do better the next time.

I think if the valves are too loose, you lose power. If too tight, then you have problem. It's better to have it a bit on the loose side.

----
anthony
Old 11-20-2003, 03:08 AM
jchaley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have adjusted 911 valves more times than I care to and like springer3 I now only use a dial gauge. I have tried with the engine out of the car and on a stand to get repeatable results with the little feeler gauge. I would set the clearance with the gauge and then use the dial indicator to see what the exact clearance was. I finally determined that it was not possible for me to get repeatable results with the feeler gauge setting the clearance on the same valve on a stand (no way I would get close with the engine in the car). I use a dial indicator and the fixture made to hold it for setting the cam timing. Now can set the clearance exactly were I want it every time on every valve fast and easy.

john
Old 11-20-2003, 03:22 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I started all over again last night, and by the time I came to the first valve to check, I noticed that the 0,10 between the camshaft and rocker was still ok, but between the valve and the rocker screw [where the adjustment should take place] was the clearance far more............

So, this means that re opening the valve covers had sense!

Tonight I will adjust all the 12 valves with much care, and then it should be less loud in ticking then the first time................

IT MADE A REAL DIFFERENCE, AND NOW I AVE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE ADJUSTMENT.......................
Old 11-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

John,

I am sure when you take your time, the valves can be adjusted correct with the engine in the car and the right tools. I am 100% sure of that.
I will proof that when I am done with adjusting.

Thanks for your input,......and eeuhh, can you show the tool you use in a picture over here??
Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JChaley, So you are saying that the jig for cam timing can be used for adjusting valve clearance. I didn't realize these were one and the same.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:22 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

the clearance spec will be different checking at the cam lobe vs. the rocker adjustment tip. This is due to the rocker ratio not being 1:1. Not sure to the actual rocker ratio, as this has been debated before, but its definitely not 1:1.

Great job on all your work and documenting it!!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:41 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adjustment done, all set, engine runs very smooth again and.......wihout ticking!

I worked till 1 a.m. last night, and I am happy again.
I worked a lot on 993's in the past but a valve adjustment from a 964 was new for me, I tought I did the right thing...........

Now I will continue with my 100 000 miles service!

The 0.10 mm clearance between the rocker and camshaft was almost a 0.30mm on the other side
So, this mistake learned me also new things.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply: Too much valve clearance, known item???