Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much valve clearance, known item???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Too much valve clearance, known item???

Hi,

I am finished with the engine part in my 100 000 Miles service, the engine runs well and smooth. But........ I think I hear a little too much valve clearance...... I double checked the clearance [0,10 mm] but I imagine that I hear this, especially on the left side.

Is this a known issue, and what would you do???? Probably a little too much clearance would'nt damage my engine, only the sound...

Do it your self valve adjusters, please response. Start all over again, or let it the way it is???
Old 11-18-2003, 05:20 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arjan

not sure what to say. I checked all my valve clearances and only one was, in my view, out of spec. I checked them and left them all bar that one.
You have removed all yours and adjusted and put it all back together. Were you REALLY CAREFUL that each cylinder was at TDC when you adjusted? This, I feel, is the only obvious error. The only other thing is your use of the gauge. Did you just use a long 0.1mm feeler gauge - or the correct valve clearance tool? The valve clearance tool (the one with the little hooked handle and very short 0.1mm blade) allows you to get the gauge in nice and flat.

Is the noise louder than BEFORE you did the valve adjust?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Arjan,
Following your service with great interest as are many fellow 964'ers. You are doing an outstanding job and thanks or the detailed breakdown of procedures.
On this valve clearance question, FWIW I think that if you have another car to use meanwhile and seeing as you have probably done more than just simply adjust the valves that you should maybe do the adjust again. I know that you say it is just the noise but while you are tearing round that track you will have that doubt in the back of your mind. Besides, if you or any of us collected our car after service and the engine was noisey we would send it back to be redone.
Just my views, interested to see what you do.
Cheers,
Old 11-18-2003, 09:36 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan,

At the risk of showing my complete ignorance regarding automotive mechanics, I am wondering if using new valve adjustment screws may be causing the additional clatter? Or if there are other new parts which may be causing the additional noise? Would it be louder on the left side because it is further from the exhaust? Do you know someone who owns a 964 that you could use to compare engine sounds?

Sorry for all the questions; I know you were looking for answers. It just seemed that you were very dilligent and patient during the entire process, so I am just wondering if there is a simple answer you may not have considered.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:56 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arjan,
Can you here them when you are inside the car? If not, you are probably OK. A little extra clearance is obviously better than not enough. With that said, excessive clearance can beat up the tips of the rockers & you wouldn't want that As suggested, I would double check my work. If it's still buggin' you, go have someone you trust take a look. Don't lose any sleep over it though. Sounds like you are OK!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:23 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

I'd adjust them again! It's funny how the valves can be that way - it seems to be set perfectly, and I have been reading your posts so I know you are very detail oriented you are (I like the paint on the rockers to designate tightened bolts... good idea!). You may have had one of the adjustment screws snap itselft into place - the little wiggly part that touches the valve stem can sometimes get stuck in a wierd position, and maybe the reason why after running, everything got pressed into their final positions. Just an idea.

I try to be as careful as you when doing my valves, but it seems after most every rebuild/refresh of my 65 911's engine (same valvetrain), I will have a valve tapping a bit loud that needs adjustment although I painstakingly go through the process before hand. I almost expect it now!!

The good thing, is that a valve lash that is loose won't hurt anything other than performance since the valve will be a little delayed and disrupt the timing. Otherwise, no worries. I don't think it would affect the wear on the valve, since it is moving at the same rate, same force, just in contact less - so maybe your valve stems and rockers would wear less!!!

Given how careful and meticulous you are, I'd search out the "tapper" using your ears and a long screwdriver like a stethoscope and readjust!!! No fun, to say the least!!! That's my two centavos. Great thread! I have learned a lot from your experiences!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:56 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Guys, I made a mistake............ I adjusted the valves between the camshaft and the 'push side' of the rocker and noton the adjust bolt and the valve....... I tought that it would be ok, but probably it gives more clearance then you wish. I will contact my "advisor" www.lammertink-porsche.nl and ask him for sure. I think I will go for the new adjustment and start all over again.....
Old 11-19-2003, 03:21 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Was I dreaming, or did Dave just give someone some advice On DIY?

Pity you're not over here, Arjan. I dare say there's a few people who could do with a friend like you!
Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Thanks Mr. B.

I got a new gasket set and a special tool for the valve adjustment right now, Mr Lammertink, my advisor in 'hard times' said that the best way is the re adjust the valves with the right tool. Otherwise the camshafts and rockers will get too much on their head.............

So, I will start tonight with the job.......
Old 11-19-2003, 07:00 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Arjan

good move re: the correct tool - it will make the job easier. ALso, since you have just done it, it may be quicker. BTW, I don't think you will need to drain the oil out of the engine again to do this.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I think the oil will come out the 6 pipes in the lower engine part........
Old 11-19-2003, 09:34 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not had the pleasure of adjusting valves on the 964, but I maintained a 1970 911T for 26 years. I am hoping the 964 is not too different. PB Tweeks sold a special holder to mount a dial indicator on the valve cover stud to measure the valve lash. It always gave perfect results. I also have the bent blade tool, and it gives essentially equal results.

Many thanks for the great thread. I am getting close to the 60,000 mile service, and this will be very useful.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Nice to hear that comment Springer! Thanks, I try to do what ever is im my time sceduele every day.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:54 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Arjan

maybe empty just the cranckcase, not the oil tank.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arjan,
You are correct. The oil will continue to drain from the tank since it is higher then your lower valve covers. You'll have to drain it

Quick Reply: Too much valve clearance, known item???