Sponsored by:

Sat in on a RWB build...my .02

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Suspension looks like it is bottomed out. How do you drive that on the road with out damaging body work?? How long did build take??
I have a 993 RWB that I built last year and a 964 RWB backdate that I'm building in two weeks. The cars look lower than they are. On a 993, the front rubber lip extends far below the body work, and the fiberglass lip that the rubber lip is attached to is actually on a hinge...so it will lift up if you were to bottom out, and the rubber would take the hit. I have yet to bottom out in my car. My 993 has Bilstein PSS10 suspension, and the car basically drives the same as before the RWB conversion, other than the front steering is a bit heavier due to the larger wheels.

Each build takes about 20-25 hours of Nakai's time; he's usually only onsite for about 48 hours total. For my 993 build, he arrived on a Wednesday afternoon and took off on Friday afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
Fabio421 (03-21-2020)
Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
emissary
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vandit
I wonder at what point this reaches saturation. Seems like he has done a ton of cars in the last few years. Anyone have those stats? It only take him 2-3 days, right? So maybe 40 cars per year?
Originally Posted by juntsky
he was says by he had about 20 cars left this year, so that's probably a good guess. My understanding is there's about 300 of them out there in the world.
At this point, he builds about 50 cars a year worldwide. About 25 of those are US cars. My 993 (built last September) was USA car #53.
The following users liked this post:
Fabio421 (03-21-2020)
Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Is it a track car or a narrow RWB want to be? Would most people know the difference?

Eddie sez, "woahhhhhyeaaaahhhhhh!"

Last edited by Ken D; 06-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

The vape pen of Porsche
Old 06-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure hope the police caught the juvenile delinquent that marked this guy's car with those lines. This is a shame, you park your nice car and some kids paint lines all over it. Damn!

Do you think he had this exact paint scheme in mind or did he give the painter artistic freedom.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1 My thought too...

I didn't realize there were that many. wow.

We all know how polarizing RWB cars can be, which got to to thinking about this kind of car, seen at C&C this past weekend.

Its it a track car or a narrow RWB want to be? Would most people know the difference?
(answer: striped track/autocross/weekend fun car.)
I might have been turned off if it was a super wide, winged beast... instead it looked like a true focused, driver's car where someone was having a lot of with it (modding it and driving it).
Everything stripped and visible, with lots of little mods and touches everywhere you look.

I'd definitely like to have something like this that is solely built for fun and you can do whatever mods you want....
Regardless, a car like this looks very similar to an RWB but gets a completely different reaction.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Guys,
Aside from who's installing it. What's the difference between the RWB kit and the one made by Werks911?

Picture of the Werks911 kit

They look very similar and are made of the same material.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by klokwerk
Guys,
Aside from who's installing it. What's the difference between the RWB kit and the one made by Werks911?

In my opinion (which means nothing) there is no difference between the two. Plastic bolt on fenders have no place on a Porsche and they look like S%!t.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 PM
emissary
Advanced

Guys,

Hard to say. Looks like a similarly-intentioned kit. The question would be whether the quality is comparable, how much prep is required, and how consistently it can be installed. But it is certainly possible for other vendors to build a quality widebody kit.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:18 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would prefer he focus his attention on 996's
Old 06-07-2017, 06:14 PM
emissary
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedbagger
would prefer he focus his attention on 996's
A 997 kit is getting prototyped this year.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys,

RWB car would be worth countless more scene points, instagram hashtags, and retweets. Initially you may get groupies, but the nut swingers will diminish quickly once they find out Nakai-san didn't bespoke your car.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM
juntsky
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Plastic bolt on fenders have no place on a Porsche and they look like S%!t.

Now I'm not saying these are directly comparable to RWB. They're not. But there's a reason plastic bolt on flares are a thing on Porsches. To say they have no place on a porsche is ridiculous. Even the 997s run "bolt on flares" on the front for extra front tire width.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 PM
juntsky
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

They look similar at first glance but at second glance I think the only similarities are really the fact that they're bolt on flares and likely made of the same material. To me it looks like the front flares on the RS Werks kit are actually wider and the Rears are not as wide as the RWB. The shapes are also quite a bit different and overall style is different between the two. The RWB also probably has more options between the different types of kits and what accessories you can add onto of it. I'm assuming the RS Werks kits go by a more "traditional" porsche part list.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Two factors come into play. One is are the proportions correct and esthetically pleasing to the owner and observer? The other does it have the go for the show? I have seen lots of one off custom jobs done with owners that are very proud of their work only to have everyone I know say they just threw up a little. The craftsmanship was top notch but the proportions were grotesque not much different than the original gemballa's with their overly exaggerated add ons.

The 934 is a stunning car in person. Much harder to do a quality 934 conversion justice than a bolt on 993RS style. Although to my eye the proportions are correct and purposeful. Some of the RWB become what I consider grotesquely exaggerated for a street car. My friend does wide body conversions all the time but mostly they fall into one of two categories. Dedicated track cars using stock 993 style parts or show cars that are only driven to C&C events and are more show than go or even if they have engine work it is either absurdly unusable for bragging rights or is never driven fast.

Some of the Chinese kits that have been supplied by customers are junk and nearly all the time the amount of fitting involved is considerable and costs more than the kit. However I must assume the body shop is responsible for doing most of the initial fitting or checking, along with prepping and painting prior to him coming in to do his thing.

Even using factory parts on 993's requires a lot of work prior to paint.

Here is a 993 in progress. The only thing unique to RWB are his molds the rest is standard shop work and is nothing unique other than the fact that he does the install. Is it worth 5 times or more than what my friend does this for. I would say no but to each their own.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Some of the Chinese kits that have been supplied by customers are junk and nearly all the time the amount of fitting involved is considerable and costs more than the kit. However I must assume the body shop is responsible for doing most of the initial fitting or checking, along with prepping and painting prior to him coming in to do his thing.

Even using factory parts on 993's requires a lot of work prior to paint.

This is exactly what I was getting at when I asked my question earlier. If the kits quality is the same and I know there can be a lot of deviation between manufacturers of fiberglass parts, but if they're equal, then what differentiates the kit from Werks911 and RWB is the fact that Nakai San did the final install versus Joe Schmoe.

Having seen one example of his work and countless pictures/videos, I can appreciate the work done. Would love to have something like that done one day. But really just so I can run fatter tires/wheels in the back.

Quick Reply: Sat in on a RWB build...my .02