Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood release cable replacement diy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hood release cable replacement diy?

Hi All:

After having two 997s I finally made the leap into air cooled ownership. I've owned my '92 Carrera 2 cab (midnight blue, linen or raspberry interior, 58k miles) for about 3 weeks now and I am never going back to water cooled Porsches (except for my Macan turbo, natch). In any event, tragedy struck last weekend when the hood release cable snapped as I pulled the handle. A little "nub" of the cable is sticking out behind the handle so I'm sure I can grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it to get the hood open. I ordered and received a new cable and shroud from 5150 Motorsports (best price, btw, $15 under everyone else for an OEM cable assembly, if anyone cares). So, my question now is how to replace the cable! There are numerous DIYs for how to use/fit an EMERGENCY hood release but I can't find any DIY instructions for replacing the standard cable. Anyone have a DIY summary, with pics, that they can share? I am not terribly mechanically inclined so the more detail, the better.

Thanks!

Pete
Old 05-24-2017, 11:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I haven't done the cable, but I had 'fun' with the release handle. This thread may help with part of your job https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-under-it.html
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Thank you sir!

I am sure your post will help. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to use my emergency release cable the other day for a slightly different reason--the main cable had slid in the latch just enough that it wouldn't release the hood any longer. If you haven't already taken the time to put the emergency release cable inside a bicycle brake cable housing, it is a wise investment of time to save frustration and panic later. I hadn't and what should have been a simple exercise turned into a bit of an ordeal that almost had me taking the car to my indy mechanic.

When routing the cable thru the bicycle cable housing, be sure to attach or secure the end of the cable housing by the latch to an end stop as well as multiple other points along the way to keep the cable from moving when being used. At the cable end, I used a zip tie to secure it to the same stop as the main cable. The housing pushes easily thru the It took a bit of fiddling and testing to get everything setup correctly but everything is as right as rain now.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Good tip!

Quick Reply: Hood release cable replacement diy?