17" D90s?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default 17" D90s?

What are your thoughts?!

from Ammo's Facebook page:
Test fitting the new D90's. FYI these are custom milled in 17". Porsche only made them in 16's, but because I have big brakes, the 16's wouldn't fit. So @augmentwheels made an exact set from scratch so they would fit over calipers. Dan from augment scaled the 16's to a 17. Crazy!!!!#ammonyc #detailersofinstagram #jbbodyworks

The new AMMO D90 Wheels are here from @augmentwheels #ammonyc #detailersofinstagram #speedsporttuning #jbbodyworks #toyotires !!!! Video coming soon
Old 05-24-2017, 04:07 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

AWC x AMMO NYC = 17" Forged D90

https://www.augmentwheels.com/blogs/...-17-forged-d90

A few months ago I had a pleasure of chatting with Larry Kosilla, owner and founder of AMMO NYC and his largely successful Youtube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom). With both of us being Porsche owners, we chatted about current build statuses and Larry explained to me that he had a problem. The problem was Larry's love of the classic Porsche wheel, the D90, but his recent inability to continue to use the wheel on his car due to a much needed brake upgrade. The size of the newly fitted Porsche 965 "Big Red's" simply didn't leave enough room in the wheel to house the brakes without contact with the caliper...and the D90's were retired.

Our mission was obvious...bring the D90 back to life...but in an augmented form.

A set of original 16" D90's were located (thanks to our friends at Engineered Automotive) and the measurement process began, carefully measuring and recording each element of the D90's profile. For this mission to be completed successfully, the end result needed to be a wheel that looked exactly like 16" D90, but scaled to 17"

Several rounds of design and render took place in order to accomplish the desired outcome. Half-way through the process, the decision was also made to move away from a monoblock construction to that of a 2-pc. The shape of the raw monoblock forging simply did not enable us to recreate the desired convex face of the D90...and moving to 2-pc made it possible...

more txt and pics: https://www.augmentwheels.com/blogs/...-17-forged-d90
Old 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Creative guy. I like his car care products and he made a better D90, good for him.

No doubt there was a lot of time and money spent. They should be stronger and better in every way.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love that guy. Who else has watched him wash cars for hours. Actually learned a few things.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 PM
CP_964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 his videos are the best
Old 05-24-2017, 05:42 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Those look expensive. Wonder if they will produce them. 9" and 7" hmmm I would have thought 10" and 8" or would that not fit?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:51 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. I have the same problem. Put the D90's on the 968.

I think I found an error in your math:

AWC x AMMO NYC x $$^3 = 17" Forged D90
Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 AM
JKav
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys... the prices for these wheels is actually pretty reasonable:

https://www.augmentwheels.com/

... and those prices are in Canadialand dollars, so USA gets 25% off due to the exchange rate. Not bad at all, especially for custom wheels.

No affiliation etc.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:12 AM
JKav
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And those 17" D90s are pretty hawt. There's maybe just a tad too much visual mass at the center, but really a nice execution overall.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Northwest European
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKav
Guys... the prices for these wheels is actually pretty reasonable:

https://www.augmentwheels.com/

... and those prices are in Canadialand dollars, so USA gets 25% off due to the exchange rate. Not bad at all, especially for custom wheels.

No affiliation etc.
I have to agree, that seems like decent pricing for FULL custom wheels. The design labor alone seems like it should cost more! I like the D90s that Larry did, cool and unique. And yes, I have also spent hours watching his videos.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Augment has an awesome custom wheel program! (no affiliation)

Bring on OEM +1 replicas.... 18" Cup 1s please!

$999 a wheel....

https://www.augmentwheels.com/produc...-manufacturing

Augment Wheel Company is very different when it comes to the design and manufacture of extremely high quality, forged wheels. How's that you say?

Well, simply put, we don't design your wheels...you do.

Each and every set of AWC Forged wheels is the bi-product of your design input and our wheel building expertise. What this enables us to do together is design and build a wheel set that is exclusively yours, based on your preferences.

Does this mean you need to be a designer? No.

We have worked with some clients that have simply verbally articulated the look they want and have given us the authority to design. Some others have shared sketches on a napkin...and we've made it work. Most have looked at other wheels online and have identified the design elements they really like while some more advance clients have gone as far as designing their own wheels in modeling or drawing software. Regardless of where you lie on this spectrum, we have the experience to understand your vision and make it reality.

With that said, we invest a huge amount of time and money into the design and engineering of each wheel and as such, require a project deposit.

The deposit is non-refundable and will go towards the total wheel set price. Wheels must be ordered in sets of 4 (staggering is pssible). Below is a wheel build pricing list:
Rim Diameter Price Per Wheel (CDN)
15" (Modular design only) $799
16" (Modular design only) $899
17" (Modular or Monoblock available) $999
18" (Modular or Monoblock available) $1099

* Pricing outlined above is for standard finishes. Premium finished and custom machining can be discussed and quoted accordingly.

AWC understands that getting custom wheels designed and manufactured is a fun and exciting process and our goal is to get you your completed set as quickly as humanly possible, but please anticipate that our process can take up-to 8 weeks based on current production volume.

Should you have any questions about our process, please never hesitate to contact us at sales@augmentwheels.com

Once this deposit is made, we will contact you to begin the process. Please be sure to accurately share both email and phone number when creating your AWC profile. We look forward to working with you on your custom set of AWC Forged.
Also looks like they have a 964 Turbo wheel project going on...
augmentwheelsBroke out the calipers to measure up for another iconic wheel the 911/ 964 crowd should be excited to see. In the last week AWC has had no less than a dozen people ask about it. Any guesses as to what it could be?? #augmentwheels #customwheels

augmentwheels@nedimaruz Nice guess, and I have had much request for a forged Speedline...but those are not coming just yet.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Ebola
Track Day

I'm normally not a fan of the d90s, but I do think they look better in 17". I do love how they made them to scale and not simply just to appearance. Looks like a cool company, just wish I had 4k burning a hole in my pocket for wheels.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Derek911
Racer

The first thing anyone does to a 964 is get rid of the D90's. Why make a replica of something that most owners don't like? Ammo is one of the kings in the detail world, but I'm scratching my head on this one.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek911
The first thing anyone does to a 964 is get rid of the D90's. Why make a replica of something that most owners don't like? Ammo is one of the kings in the detail world, but I'm scratching my head on this one.
Classic "Thinking fast and slow".
Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I am not a fan of the D90's either however these seem to look much better as 17's than 16's. My questions are what testing was done to verify that the design is street worthy? The changes to the design have elongated the spokes although being made from billet vs pressure cast I would assume it is a nonissue. I was also initially concerned about brake venting/cooling. Again the openings are larger so i would assume that they would flow air better but nothing like the Cup I or other aftermarket wheels. On track you can generate a lot of heat with the big brakes especially with racing pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17" D90s?