Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a collapsed engine mount? (see pic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Is this a collapsed engine mount? (see pic)

Any experts know what a collapsed engine mount looks like?

I am experiencing vibration under acceleration, and was told it could be the mounts. I was thinking of going with the Euro RS tranny and engine mounts... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Greg,
Yep but you need to pull it out. You cannot tell with it still mounted. You need to lay it down on its side and take a photo. Then I can get a better view.
With the TT installation I would have recommended from day one that you install stronger engine mounts.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-16-2003, 06:44 PM
C4TT
Pro

Adrian,
Since we are on the subject what would you recommend? I was thinking Euro RS... Do you think I should go solid?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Greg,
Depends how much torque you are developing. The twist on the engine twists the engine mounts. If you are tracking this puppy then I would look at the design of the GT-3RS engine mounts. For normal road use the RS ones might be okay. All comes down to as I said the amount of torque being produced. If you are exceeding by 50% the RS torque figures then go solid. Remember if you go solid you are also going to have to stiffen up the rear end a little but more so the body can take the torque.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you removed the gearbox and lowered the enigine on the gearbox side? This could be lowered to far, so the engine mount damaged this way????
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
C4TT
Pro

I have done nothing to the car. I would say that I may track it here and there. Mostly road usage. I'm concerned that solid mounts may cause other problems in the drivetrain. Like stress the gearbox more...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no answer for you then,sorry. I know something, some is broke or over torque.... Did this happen in the last couple of days, or did you notice just now and did'nt you notice this when you bought the car?
Old 11-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from your description it probebly is a collasped mount. no way to be 100% certian until it comes out though.
if your car is stock the most i would do is the euro RS mount - i would not go solid at this point. for a 100% stock car that is likely to stay that way i would just replace the mounts with std. peices. - cheaper for parts too - install is going to be the same so this is a negligable savings.
my 2 cents
Old 11-17-2003, 01:01 PM
C4TT
Pro

This is a new thing... It has happened the last couple of weekends...
The car is not exactly stock, so I expect things to fail here and there. With the twin turbos, I'm pushing 600+ hp, and over 500 ft/lbs of torque...

I am going to look at the car with some friends who are technicians, to spot potential weak points or failures...

Thanks for all the input

Greg

Quick Reply: Is this a collapsed engine mount? (see pic)