Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering response/upgrades - all in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Funny you mention it, I'm currently replacing "everything AC" and looked into an electric compressor. They just don't seem up to par yet. Not only is the btu ability a bit weak, but the amp draw is enormous. So much so that the alternator won't keep up with the power drain at idle. At idle in traffic on a hot day is exactly when AC is needed the most! As an upgrade path, the stock compressor with a lightweight battery is a much better approach than an electric compressor requiring the 47lb stock battery + loading up the alternator to its max output.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I justed talk to Jonny at classic retrofitAbout this the other day. The unit that he’s working on has an ECU which controls the scroll compressor according to the power available from the alternator. He says they’re working on a 964 plug-and-play unit that will use the 964 ccu. Additionally the unit should fit in the spare tire well with approximately the same height as the battery. These units have been used in earlier 911 for many years now and you seem to have a very successful business going. He also produces a high output alternator for the earlier 3.2 is etc. seems this would be a good way to go in addition to the compressor. The 964 unit has been in progress for quite a while as far as I can tell- so get in touch and give them a push!

http://classicretrofit.com
Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a manual steering rack in my 964. Road feel is fine but parking lots and slow corners are a real effort. Am considering putting the PS back in but after reading about the electric pumps, I may consider one.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I did electrical pump several years ago. Working fine and no regrets. Think harden part was removing old from engine and installing cam cap.
i picked up a small unit from a Mazda for $200, it was easy to wire. Suggest you wire on individual switch.

Quick Reply: Steering response/upgrades - all in