Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reward offered - diagnose my problem - Flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

Just to clarify, "Pcar SBA" made a copy of the porsche memory module, and fitted it to his hammer. He did not make a homebrew diagnostic unit. The closest you get to a custom made Porsche diag system is probably the engine management system in the 964/993. As far as I know, there's only a handful of systems that can do all the OBD-connected things in our cars. (Motronic, ABS, air bag, alarm and climate control) Jennsiken diag tool. Here's the Porsche 964 compatible tools available:
The Bosch Porsche "hammer" (KTS 301)or later Bosch Porsche tools as PST2, KTS500 or PIWIS
Freeware Rennlist Scantool Windows software (serial port adapter as the T-OBD needed)
Durametric Windows software with a proper serial cable
Jenniskens OBD UDT/PDT999 diagnostic tool

Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
It is surprising that there isn't a Hammer emulator by now that exactly relocates it's functions. It's pretty primitive technology by modern standards.
What else is missing from Doug Boyce's software besides cycling the diff locks?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Car was dropped off this morning. It was acting up on the 1.5 mile drive over there (after I swapped one, but not both distributor caps) with a more randomized CEL that stayed on for longer periods of time.

Hopefully new wires, plugs, caps, rotors and coils will resolve the issue!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Fingers crossed - hope this solves your problem. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 PM
dhc905
Banned

Thanks Rob. I got a call last night and he said car should be ready today or Friday but that he himself was heading to Austin for a race (Lamborghini's). He said they did a compression test and all cylinders came back fine - 150's plus-minus. Not sure why they did that, but guessing it's a "while you're in there" when you have the plugs out?

Anyway, good news so far. Final determination should be coming out today.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Fingers crossed - hope this solves your problem. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Freeware Rennlist Scantool Windows software (serial port adapter as the T-OBD needed)
Durametric Windows software with a proper serial cable
Jenniskens OBD UDT/PDT999 diagnostic tool

Cheers,
Tore
The last update that I got on the scantool was the codes for the TIP. Has anything else been added in the last 5 or 6 years? I have the original scantool that I put together using the board that John in the UK use to sell.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Among other things, I have added fault codes for all CCU versions in both 964 and 993 Scantool files. ANy faults from such units would otherwise be shown with number and "Unknown fault code".
Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 PM
dhc905
Banned

Got a call yesterday that the car is done. He said he cleaned up the engine bay some by removing the sound deadening and tying cables and such things down. He didn't make mention of the CEL, so I'm **VERY** hopeful that it got resolved.

He did try to put in some washer fluid (that's the only error light besides the convertible top) but he ran into the same issue I did - my new tank (located in the frunk) apparently needs a gasket or something and all the fluid leaked out.

But neither here nor there.

Will pick up tomorrow to confirm!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:13 PM
dhc905
Banned

Got car back - modderman (and Bill, a retired 964 owner who "volunteers" there) did a good job doing the requested work as well as additional maintainence items. Total labor cost for the plug wires, plugs, distributor caps, compression test was $850. Other misc. work items and cleanup of the engine bay came out to another $150 for a total of $1k in just labor. They tested the coils and they were fine, so they didn't replace them with the new ones I bought.

Therefore, in total, parts and labor for plugs, wires, and distributors was about $1,400. all indications suggest all parts (besides plugs) were original and therefore last 108k miles and 27 years. Probably not the go-forward replacement schedule, but just FYI.

Unfortunately for RRob (although really just for me) CEL flashed at me on my way home. Before I take it back into the shop, I have a nagging suspicion it's a shockingly silly fix. I will update tonight when I have a chance to address....

EDIT: when the wrench said he didn't notice any CEL, and then I did after about 5 minutes of driving off his lot, I for to thinking that the one difference was my Metromile being plugged into the 19-pin outlet. I drove to Costco to pick up supplies for a dinner party I'm hosting and as soon as CEL flashed, I pulled my Metromile and ****silence****. CEL off, has not come back on.

So basically I spent over $1,600 and really the problem the whole time was just my doggone MetroMile messing with the computer!!!

Last edited by dhc905; 04-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Congratulations at isolating the problem. What is a MetroMile and how does it connect to the car?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

The last information in this is very important. Connecting an off-the-shelf OBD device to the Porsche 964 could be problematic.
I do not know what 19-pin adapter you are using to connect to the car, but I guess a OBD diag device using CANbus or other modern signals on OBD2 interface pins could interfere with the 964 diagnostic circuits. The 964 had a very early OBD implementation, and have circuits connected to the diag port which is very different from modern cars.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 PM
dhc905
Banned

I think Tore hit the nail on ethe head. The Metromile is the connector to my 19-pin OBD port that logs my mileage and other basic stats to bill me for miles driven. It has a basic diagnostic element as well (on my Cayenne it will tell you if there are any engine codes, for instance). As a result, I think it pings the system every 25 or so seconds (see original video, it was so consistent I could set my watch by it) at idle and that was triggering the CEL. Further to Tore's point, I had to buy an aftermarket OBD2 -> OBD1 exchange to make it work, otherwise the alternative is plugging into the cigarette lighter socket which was a PIA, especially given our non-uniform socket size.

Basically, my car is allergic to the Metromile

Good news is I should have a strong electrical system for years and years to come, and got a fairly clean bill of health for my engine!

I appreciate all the input from everyone on this thread; if you ever find yourself in the Palo Alto area, would be only fair if I bought you a beer!

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You could trying disconnecting/isolating pin #15 (on the aftermarket connecter) which is used by the Bosch Hammer to illuminate the CEL. The DME ECU will also illuminate the CEL when the L line is interrogated but the metromile shouldn't be connected to that.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

holy crap. this was an amazing thread to read. subscribed.
I had no idea what a metromile was either. sounds like a insurance device to monitor your miles, so you pay less for a car seldom driven.
wow. Thanks turtle (aka dhc905) for documenting your journey.
=Steve
Old 05-31-2017, 02:49 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

nice .... i think the issue is not knowing .. now you know why the CEL shd be easy to live with

Quick Reply: Reward offered - diagnose my problem - Flashing CEL