Sponsored by:

Re-seal or re-sell...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Just did a 1,000 mile road trip in one of my C4s. It has 150,000 miles on the odometer and no top end rebuild yet. The cars following said they saw two smoke puffs out of my exhaust on the whole trip. While I'd love to pull the engine and do it, it makes no sense. Drive and enjoy.
Great insight from everyone.
My engine was leaking bad, wasn't running as smoothly and I had a broken sunroof cable, ac needs recharging, various warning lights on. So figured no point fixing all the non-motor issues without addressing motor as well. But yeah, now there is a more serious investment in the car. And there will still be the 27 year old parts that need replacing. Before I had an inexpensive car with high maintenance costs, now I have the expensive car with high ongoing maintenance costs.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:41 AM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The car is getting older, so maintenance will be more, the upside is you increased the value of the car, if you do sell, by the motor rebuild. Not sure if you will get dolls for dollar, but your car would be at the top of most people's list with the work you have done....just my two cents...
Old 08-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
The car is getting older, so maintenance will be more, the upside is you increased the value of the car, if you do sell, by the motor rebuild. Not sure if you will get dolls for dollar, but your car would be at the top of most people's list with the work you have done....just my two cents...
Raises the big question - what's a 169k mile 964 with full engine rebuild worth these days?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
In the NZ market a rebuild doesn't recover its cost on sale which is why I wrote what I did at the start of the thread and also why I'm resisting the urge to rebuild mind, even though I enjoy the DIY experience.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Recently, someone provide some sage advice on Rennist regarding the costs to maintain an older Porsche. The advice went something like: If you are passionate about your car, don't add up the receipts.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Recently, someone provide some sage advice on Rennist regarding the costs to maintain an older Porsche. The advice went something like: If you are passionate about your car, don't add up the receipts.
True. 964s are very well built but any 27 year old car is going to need more maintenance than a newer one and if you are not DIY capable then it's $$$. To me there are four 964 ownership options:

1. Drive it and let any non critical repairs mount up for the next price-based buyer.

2. Drive it and fix all issues as they come up

3. Keep it as a garage queen

4. Go through the car in one massive effort to forestall any breakdowns.

The OP has done number 4 and the right buyer will value that. The big question is how much they will pay.

The good news is that the base car is strong and can easily be driven daily on long trips if taken care of.

Quick Reply: Re-seal or re-sell...