Sponsored by:

Re-seal or re-sell...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-seal or re-sell...

The little marshmallow had a laundry list of issues that I need to take care of:
- sunroof cables need replacing
- a/c needed to be recharged
- abs lighting up - looks like it's a rear speed sensor that needs to be replaced.
- brake line flush
All of the above, no problem.

Problem is it's bleeding oil worse than ever - this past summer I had a few instances of burning oil on the exhaust. Shop has gone over car - cleaned all oil and up on hoist running - so far, cam housing, chain housing, #4 and 5 cylinder, various hoses, are leaking - within 20 minutes oil was dripping on the floor in various places. My (trusted) shop is recommending a full engine out reseal (do it once, do it right?) - obviously lots of unknowns once they are in there as far as any pitting, cams, etc. So, they figure I'm gonna be looking between $15-24k for all of the above work most likely, maybe a bit less if all is AOK in engine.

I can (gulp) foot the bill, but will be very tight. Knowing this, do I sell as a fixer-upper - (I bought it for 22K) - maybe get that much or a bit more if I find a do-it-yourselfer - or do I bite the bullet, fix it all knowing that I could at least break even if I need to sell (and no other major work needed) and of course have my baby back purring "like new".

Thoughts? I know once it's gone, it's gone, and won't likely ever be able to afford to be in an air-cooled porsche again.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I was in a similar place a few months ago, and I bit the bullet, paid the big bucks for a complete engine rebuild and mechanically refreshed everything else that needed it while I was at it. Glad I did it.

If you spend the big $$$$ and do everything all at once, you'll pay the price, but also will mostly likely have a trouble free car for a very long time that you'll love.

Another way to look at it; lets say it's $24K for the bill for every last thing the car needs now. That's only about 2 years car payment on a really nice brand new car that's depreciating. Instead you've invested in an appreciating classic that you love that you can enjoy with very few big $$$ problems for many years. Over time, it'll be cheaper than anything else, I'd bet.

I'd say keep it and fix it. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

In my experience the sale price of a car doesn't necessarily reflect the cost of all the work required to get it in good condition.

If you are not a long term holder or a diy type I would sell the car as is. If you do pay for the work you will likely end up upside down on its value.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:32 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're happy with your spanner skills this would be worth a read:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What other car can you buy for $22,000 (purchase price) + $24,0000 (est. repair costs) = $46,000 that you would like owning and driving as much as the 964?

What it would take for me to part with my 964 is a lot more than $46k.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

I would fix it. There are plenty of 0% interest credit card offers out there so you can always divvy up part of the expenses and pay them off over time.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

can you isolate the big leaks/leaks that hit the exhaust? minor leaks aren't that big of a deal, imho.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Another approach - You can pull the engine ($1000+) fix the majority of the oil leaks, except the cylinder leaks, put in a new clutch and it shouldn't be more than $4-5K. If it runs well and leak-down is good leave the rest of the engine alone.
PS - AC is likely more than a re-charge; the evaporators develop leaks over time.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is the way to go!

Originally Posted by ffc
If you're happy with your spanner skills this would be worth a read:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
But again, depends on your skill level.
I recently did EXACTLY this myself. I bought the P-Fixit DVD, used online forums, and got a little advice from knowledgable people online.
My skill and experience level at the time extended to removing an engine from a 911.. I had also rebuilt a small twin cylinder Honda motorcycle engine too..

It really isn't THAT hard... I took the opportunity to have my heads sent out for refurbishment... and I changed my headstuds to Supertec.. re-assembly is actually very simple as long as you take your time.

You do need some space, lots of shelving for storage, and take your time.

I'm happy to assist remotely if you take it on..

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/946...ngine-rebuild/

Last edited by Michael D'Silva; 03-09-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added a link...
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael D'Silva
But again, depends on your skill level.
I recently did EXACTLY this myself. I bought the P-Fixit DVD, used online forums, and got a little advice from knowledgable people online.
My skill and experience level at the time extended to removing an engine from a 911.. I had also rebuilt a small twin cylinder Honda motorcycle engine too..

It really isn't THAT hard... I took the opportunity to have my heads sent out for refurbishment... and I changed my headstuds to Supertec.. re-assembly is actually very simple as long as you take your time.

You do need some space, lots of shelving for storage, and take your time.

I'm happy to assist remotely if you take it on..

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/946...ngine-rebuild/
An encouraging post. I have removed and refitted my C4 engine and am about to do a reseal using that DVD etc. Just waiting on my engine yoke which should arrive next week.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
An encouraging post. I have removed and refitted my C4 engine and am about to do a reseal using that DVD etc. Just waiting on my engine yoke which should arrive next week.
I never worked on a flat 6 like our cars have till I did a reseal on my car's engine spent most of my life working on Harley's to me the only part of doing my 964s engine reseal that made me sweat was timing the cams not that it was difficult just nerve racking knowing if I didn't get it right I'd destroy my engine. I must have went thru the process 6 times before I was convinced it was correct. Then I let the engine sit for 2 weeks before I got brave enough to fire it up. It was fine 😁😁😎👍 with the DVD and all the great advice tips and encouragement from out fellow Rennlisters you got it under control
Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the insight!
I'd actually love to do it myself (I put bones back together for a living - so I'm a mechanic who works in a bloody environment as opposed to an oily one!), but my wife and kids give me a hard time when I do SMALL projects like fixing my HID lights, much less a BIG job that will take weeks or more and space in the garage. (The timing of the cams does scare me too!).
The car does pull well and no blue smoke. I'm leaning towards doing all of the work, just hope it lasts! I know the cars will always have some leaks, but I'd hate to fix the big ones only to have small ones become big ones in the near future.
As someone pointed out, right now, there is no car I'd rather own for $45,000.

Heck, I got through the last 3.5 years with only maintenance items like brakes and oil changes and tires - so cost/yr has been around $8500/yr including service etc. This would bump it up to $16000/yr for the past 3 years - so a lease on a boxster (maybe) - only to have nothing at the end of the lease. (I've had a few good stiff drinks, so this line of reasoning makes sense to me!!)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
...I know once it's gone, it's gone, and won't likely ever be able to afford to be in an air-cooled porsche again.
Seems this line captures the dilemma. Is keeping this air cooled Porsche of significant value to you? As others have inferred, if you're in for the long haul the annualized cost isn't terribly substantial. Comparing its cost against whatever your alternatives would be is a good exercise.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

So how many PM's have you gotten offering 22k for the car?

In all seriousness, only you know what you can really afford. But if the cars condition/milage/history support a value of 46k with a fresh motor, then you really have very little risk involved in getting the work done.

Good luck either way. And of course, if you do decide to sell, call me I've always wanted a white 964.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by salty87
Seems this line captures the dilemma. Is keeping this air cooled Porsche of significant value to you? As others have inferred, if you're in for the long haul the annualized cost isn't terribly substantial. Comparing its cost against whatever your alternatives would be is a good exercise.
I've gone through that exercise many times in the past and thousands today! My plan was definitely long haul.
Any car I'd get now would be short term (I usually get bored and move on within 2-3 years), bumping from one fun car to another, but none like the 964...

Quick Reply: Re-seal or re-sell...