Sponsored by:

Rear fender Liners

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Indeed, Turbo's and WB's only for rhs rear liners. I ended up creating my own semi liner from a template I made. Easily done from a sheet of HDPE (aka commercial planter pots!). Wanted to protect the oil tank and pipes/hoses from water spray and grit thrown up. Made another semi-liner for the other side of the wheel arch that now protects the oil filter housing and pipe unions from the same 'splash and rash'. All looks very clean still after 4 years Crude, but does the job perfectly..
How did you secure the home made liner? The turbo has support bracket mounting points welded to the tub to keep them secure. You can see the brackets used just above the trailing arms on both sides. This has a bracket that screws to it and the opposite fender. This is dual purpose on the WB cars as it not only supports the liner but also supports the wider quarter panel flair.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:47 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
How did you secure the home made liner? The turbo has support bracket mounting points welded to the tub to keep them secure. You can see the brackets used just above the trailing arms on both sides. This has a bracket that screws to it and the opposite fender. This is dual purpose on the WB cars as it not only supports the liner but also supports the wider quarter panel flair.
My rear r/h liner is two separate smaller or half liners (couldn't achieve the arch curve angles for a single one-piece liner). For the (very rear) liner protecting the oil filter housing and unions, I made use of existing inner wing holes which were threaded and used a simple hard plastic L bracket from a hardware store - fixed that to the inner wing then dome head self-tappers fixing the liner to the bracket. The bottom of the liner attached using the same fixing as the bumper/fender support bracket. The bumper-to-wing fixing screws helped fix the other corner of the liner in place.

The half liner protecting the oil tank and thermostat, again I made up a simple bracket and attached this to a pick up point close to where the sharks fin is fixed. The other lower side of the liner I fixed simply using a cable tie to the oil tank pipe. The top end of the liner is again fixed in place using a cable tie back to the oil pipe support. Cable ties I know a crude option but critically the oil tank and oil tank level gauge fully protected - my level sender was badly corroded and leaking (cover plate hiding the damage) so needed to replace this. Now have piece of mind.

Hope the above makes sense. Essentially a case of utilising any existing attachment points anywhere you can find them, then add small brackets where it's possible to do so. I used a heat gun (hair dryer just as good) to help 'shape' the liner how I wanted before final cutting to fit and attach. Bother rear liners I now have essentially prevent any more collection of dirt, mud and damage to the rear of the light clusters - my fender corners were full of grit and dirt collected over 30 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by LM964:
cobalt (07-19-2023), Meatball964 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 11:36 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Finally was able to find this older post from one of my favorite builds:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11890813
Old 07-24-2023, 06:45 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Finally was able to find this older post from one of my favorite builds:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11890813
Yup, an excellent solution. I utilised the same bracket points as Rob. While I was attempting to follow some kind or wheel arch curve or profile, I guess the bottom line is that you don't have to - an upright or a vertical shield instead is probably the way to go imo.

Quick Reply: Rear fender Liners