RUF suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:41 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RUF suspension question

Hi,

(Dare I post another question about suspension setups??)

I was looking at some new suspension, and see that the RUF kits use the standard springs (well, outside the US, anyway). Does this mean that the lowering effect is achieved solely by setting the spring perches that much lower?

I understand that they're re-valved Bilsteins... A good number of people have a Bilstein/H&R setup using lowering springs. Are these different Bilsteins or something?

Hope someone can clarify, (RUF not answering my emails).
Dave.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:06 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
RUF will answer your email - but not very quickly.

Outside the US, you do get two new springs - the rear ones. But you're right you have to use the original fronts.

I don't know how the lowering is done - although I can tell you my car is noticeably lower as a result of having the RUF kit fitted.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
You get special spring perches if you use this kit. They take the spring further down the outer cylinder of the struts and shocks. The effectively reduces their overall length which in turn lowers the 964 accordingly without loosing the original ride comfort.
The only issue with this kit is that you have to modify the shaft of the struts and shocks (make it shorter) because you run out of thread at the top for the nut.
RUF replying to emails is a serious problem. They are being worked on to improve the service but they get thousands almost every day and too few people to handle them.
They are very slow to answer everybody including myself.
You might have better luck calling Elite Sportwagen www.elite-sportwagen.ch they are the RUF agents in Switzerland. Do not forget you will need an approval or garantie formular if you change your springs otherwise the Swiss inspection people will reject your 964 at the next MFK. I am having this exact problem right now. All for the want of a bit of paper and an unco-operative company called Eibach.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I have a direct email for someone there. She has answered a few questions I have had about my car and she responds pretty quickly. If you email me at work, I will attach a copy of her email address to you.

dhanson@gewwlaw.com

Last edited by Doug H; 11-06-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:12 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys.

Dave.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:29 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

The only issue with this kit is that you have to modify the shaft of the struts and shocks (make it shorter) because you run out of thread at the top for the nut.
Adrian,

Just to clarify - does this mean that I would actually have to modify the supplied parts? i.e. it's not exactly a bolt-on kit?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
No! You "may" have to modify your existing parts to use the new parts. A lot will depend on how low you go before you run out of thread on the shaft of the strut and shocks.
The RUFs are out of town this week on business. Got an email this morning.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: RUF suspension question