Sponsored by:

90 C2 with leaks. Value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I agree on the values here...

But, to the point etjb616 made on 'someone else rebuild' There is more to it, there is the customers 'wallet tolerance' that impacts rebuilds. some idiots like me will do everything, like every bolt will be new. you want to buy my cars :-)
Others may not... so the point as I read it is, "Was the rebuild done to a standard that you would be happy with"

For example my 964 motor was rebuilt about 6k miles ago. It's VERY strong. Done by a very well known porsche engine builder/shop. And the parts list, well, it's like the one I would have were I to pay (and unfortunately so was the price!)
Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all of the valuable feedback. I will be looking at the car in the next few days and hope to have a better understanding of the condition then. I also have no idea where the seller is, price-wise.

Two related follow-ups:
1. Assuming the engine is just "weeping" here and there AND there is no major leak AND a compression/leak-down test comes back clean, will there ever be a need for a total tear-down? Or could this motor go another 50 or 100K miles as is? I know that's a pretty general question. I guess I'm wondering if the BIG fix is inevitable.

2. Assuming the clutch hasn't been replaced yet, would I living on borrowed time at 100k miles? What's the typical lifespan of a 964 clutch assuming it's been well maintained and not driven by a hooligan?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:07 AM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Quick Reply: 90 C2 with leaks. Value?