Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Installation - Adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Windshield Installation - Adhesive?

Had the windshield replaced in my '91 back in November, a nice new Pilkington with OE seal. Fits and looks great!

However, it wasn't glued in (per the shop manual). One of the previous owners had the windshield out when the cowl was resprayed, and that's how the shop put it back in.

What type of adhesive does Porsche use, standard urethane? Is the OE adhesive (000-043-204-82) anything special or standard fare? A local glass shop does classics and I'm looking into having them do the re-install properly (so I can get the upper dash back in).
Old 01-10-2017, 11:24 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see no one has answered this. IIRC the 964 was the first 911 variant that didn't have a glued-in windscreen from the factory.

Again, IIRC there are some who do glue in the replacements.

Finally, and again IIRC [ ] there was some chatter on the Pelican 911 forum (not the 964/993 forum) about using the new screen/seal in the old cars and adhesives were discussed. Might be worth a look.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
IIRC the 964 was the first 911 variant that didn't have a glued-in windscreen from the factory.
You mean the last? or the first that had it glued?

FWIW no glue on mine, does not leak.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

I took a look between the 964 PET and 993 PET, and both reference the same adhesive items for the windshield installation. So it looks like it's urethane, then.

The local shop wants to squirt the adhesive under the seal on each side without removing the whole thing first.

FWIW, mine doesn't leak and it's noticeably quieter than the old windshield. It's that I'd like for it to be done per the manual.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Do you have a set of 964 workshop manuals? The procedure is in the Body book under pages 64-1 to 64-7. It lists the steps for windshield removal and installation including the use of adhesive.

Adhesive = 999-915-400-40
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Do you have a set of 964 workshop manuals? The procedure is in the Body book under pages 64-1 to 64-7. It lists the steps for windshield removal and installation including the use of adhesive.

Adhesive = 999-915-400-40
I have a digital copy, as well as the windshield-only file that Jason Andreas shared. The adhesive was superseded to 000-043-204-82. I wanted to make sure I would be using the correct type.

Appreciate the input, guys.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
You mean the last? or the first that had it glued?
I believe I have read that the 964 was the first 911 variant in which the windscreen was not glued in at the factory.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Who did your windshield replacement?

Also, did they remove the top part of the dash, so that they could install the antenna? I read on another thread that it must be done this way.... ?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM
-Teme-
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
I believe I have read that the 964 was the first 911 variant in which the windscreen was not glued in at the factory.
I think this is incorrect. The 964 did have the windscreen glued from factory.

I just had the windscreen replaced on my 964. There was glue that was quite a pain to remove and as with the OP, the shop installed the new windscreen without the adhesive.

As Rocket Rob mentions above, the Porsche workshop manual clearly instructs to use adhesive in the installation, but I have read arguments that the use of the adhesive is more likely to cause rust issues than to reduce them and hence there is no reason to use the adhesive. This is also the argument from the shop that installed the new windscreen on my car.

The obvious benefit of not using the adhesive is that changing the windscreen in the future is much easier., but would anyone know if there is any merit to the above rust argument or not? Also, is there any other reason to use the adhesive? Does it increase structural rigidity? Reduce noise? Is it necessary to secure correct airbag deployment? Or any other reason? I guess another way of asking is whether or not there is any downside in leaving the adhesive off?

The shop that installed my glass is willing to remove the glass and seal and put in the adhesive at no additional cost to me if I insist, but they do not recommend it. The Porsche instructions in the workshop manual on the 964 are more than 20 years old - would the recommendation from Porsche be the same if the instruction was written today when the rust issue is more common knowledge? So as the OP, I am wondering what should I do...
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

I have an BMW E30 M3 (1987-built), and it has a bonded windscreen from the factory --- the other E30 models do not have bonded windscreens.

The bonded windscreen in the E30 M3's was touted to increase rigidity, although I forgot what the percentage increase in torsional rigidity is...?

I would assume that this is why 964's have them bonded in. Similar era of manufacture, so it stands to reason.

Regardless of the reason, though... they ARE bonded in. So the Correct (big C) way to install one in a 964 is to use the adhesive.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoKart
Who did your windshield replacement?

Also, did they remove the top part of the dash, so that they could install the antenna? I read on another thread that it must be done this way.... ?
An AAA glass shop. I had pulled the upper dash pad myself before taking it in - and I still haven't put it back yet.

Originally Posted by -Teme-
As Rocket Rob mentions above, the Porsche workshop manual clearly instructs to use adhesive in the installation, but I have read arguments that the use of the adhesive is more likely to cause rust issues than to reduce them and hence there is no reason to use the adhesive. This is also the argument from the shop that installed the new windscreen on my car.
For what it's worth, mine had absolutely no rust on it when the old glass was pulled - then again, the cowl had been resprayed before so likely had any rust repaired at the same time.

Originally Posted by GoKart
The bonded windscreen in the E30 M3's was touted to increase rigidity, although I forgot what the percentage increase in torsional rigidity is...?

I would assume that this is why 964's have them bonded in. Similar era of manufacture, so it stands to reason.

Regardless of the reason, though... they ARE bonded in. So the Correct (big C) way to install one in a 964 is to use the adhesive.
I think the rigidity would definitely be more helpful on the cabrios, a little less so on the targas. The shop manual stating that the airbag-equipped cars need to allow enough time to fully cure to be "adequately strong" while non-airbag examples can be put right into use.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Yeah the pressure from two airbags going off inside a car with closed windows is pretty significant. Another reason to bond the windscreen.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:55 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Revival of old thread

to Op did you reinstall your windshield with the pn 000-043-204-82 . I am wanting to install my windows all the way around and have been confused as to which adhesive to use. If you search pelican parts as an example it comes back with a Mercedes product but the pn above comes back as a Wurth product
Thank You
Old 03-03-2019, 05:26 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had all my glass replaced dry, without sealant. It recently made installing my RS spec carpet easy. No leaks at all. I don't recall my qtr glass having any signs of sealant from the factory. The original rear glass had something like butyl. The front windshield had been replaced sometime before my ownership and it was dry.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:19 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
I've had all my glass replaced dry, without sealant. It recently made installing my RS spec carpet easy. No leaks at all. I don't recall my qtr glass having any signs of sealant from the factory. The original rear glass had something like butyl. The front windshield had been replaced sometime before my ownership and it was dry.
My rearwindow and rear quarter glass had what looked to be be dry crumbling butyl in between seal and glass also between seal and the pinch weld

Quick Reply: Windshield Installation - Adhesive?