Sponsored by:

Heater Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:25 PM
And
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Fault Codes

Does anybody have the fault descriptions corresponding to the fault codes that the Hammer can display w.r.t. the heater system or know where I can find them. I've only managed to find engine codes...

I had a mechanic dump all the codes, one of them was a seized oil cooler fan (I'm assuming fault 11, 24 or 45) and then I kinda lost interest (stupid, I know...) I've got that fixed, now I figure I might have a look at some of the other faults...

Thanx much,
andrew
Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should indicate what year the 964 is.

when the hammer is connected and the system checked, most 964 models will show several heater "fault' codes. The reason is that the hammer, made by Bosch, has different test parameters than the heater control unit.
You should note down and erase all the codes and then check every function of the heater/ac using the car controls. On later (after 91) this can be done with the hammer. Usually the faults are "inside sensor', "rear blower seized', "defroster flap". Until it can be confirmed that these items are NOT working, repairs are not required.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:40 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew:

GMS is DEAD ON with his advice. Another thing that can cause a ton of faults to be generated is a failing batttery. Since the controllers are all digital, a failing battery can cause the volatage to dip periodically into states where the controllers really can't convert data properly and thus record faults where faults don't exist. When I got my car, the battery was on the virge of dying so I had the battery replaced with a new one. Back in February when my DMF was being replaced, the shop put the hammer on the system to clear the infamous air bag fault light and the system ended up damn near reporting that everything that could possibly be wrong with the car was wrong with it. I had them reset everything and re-check it and the car came up fault-free.

If faults re-appear after a full reset, they're probably real. On mine, they were bogus.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:00 AM
And
6th Gear

Here's how it played out with the mechanic...
When he first connected the hammer, it showed 12 heater fault codes (11, 15, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45). He cleared the codes and only three reappeared (11, 24, 45).
I assume the first bunch of codes was largely due to me replacing the two blower fans and the final stage. The three that reappeared after the clear I assumed were genuine problems - one was a seized oil cooler blower fan, the other two - I don't know...
My problem is that I have all the fault code numbers, just not the corresponding fault code.
My car is a 1990 C4. Battery should be ok, it's only 3 mo old, though I'll check the voltage to confirm.

thanks again for the advice.
andrew
Old 11-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Andrew,
In my book I deliberately left out these fault codes because they are so unreliable it it not funny. I will not go into details but the Bosch hammer software module is critically important. It must match the control unit you have fitted. For instance if you have a 993 unit fitted and the software module used is not updated you get a whole bunch of fault codes. Secondly the hammer cannot work out if you have a Turbo or C2/C4 and the wiring of the C2/C4 has a jumper installed for the rear blower fan so you get double fault codes.
Another issue is the hammer operator. They have to clear the DME fault codes first then read the aircon/heating system otherwise you get many spurious faults.
The last issue is the person working on the car. If something is disconnected and power is applied or the control unit is removed and power is applied all kinds of strange things are recorded. The DME and ccu are connected. The DME gets upset when the ccu is missing.

Now to your post.
The fault codes you have supplied are not complete. Therefore it is hard to know if they are genuine. All aircon/heater codes are preceeded by
81 or 82 then the fault code.
I have to assume that 8_ was present. I do not like doing this.
11 = Interior temperature sensor failure.
24 = Fresh air flap motor failed.
45 = Inside sensor blower motor failed.
These three faults indicate either one of the two connectors on the rear of the ccu is not correctly located or the control unit has failed.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I would love to know how you came up with a failed oil cooler fan. This is fault code 8_42. Unless you read them around the wrong way. You do not need the Bosch hammer to check any of this by the way.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
And
6th Gear

Adrian,
Thanx much for the help... I've been following the board and figure I might try cleaning the temp. sensor fan on the back of the CCU and see if that helps.
The mechanic I visited had a KTS300 (that's what it said on the invoice... it appeared exactly like the pictures of the Hammer I have seen) I was peering over his shoulder. He did clear the DME fault codes first, though I can't speak to the software module that was installed. The display indicated a fault number (I only recall a 2 digit) though it also indicated in text what the fault was, intermittent or not, etc... I must have noticed the failed oil cooler fan fault before he cleared the codes (fault 42 was in the first list of faults...)
Thanks again for all the help,
andrew

Quick Reply: Heater Fault Codes