Looking for RS rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Looking for RS rear wing

I'm looking for a used OEM or good aftermarket RS style rear tail/decklid. The car I just bought has a 3.8 wing which wouldn't be bad if it actually fit right and didn't kick me into the modified class in PCA events. Since the car lacks most the other "go fast" mods expected in modified class, I'd like a wing that lets me stay in improved class - meaming the front of the tail/wing must be flush with the car. Bi-level wings are not allowed in this class.

Anyone have one or know a good source (or have one in the garage)?

What I have:

Last edited by Tom W; 11-04-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:14 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Techart, FVD, Cargraphic - they all offer good quality Porsche parts.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Tom,
The RS had the same retractable spoiler as the standard narrowbody 964. I am sure you mean a RS America rear wing. If you do mean the RSA you need to shop around in the USA for it. I am sure people over your way can help you out. There was a firm that used to advertise on Rennlist but I cannot remember their name for the life of me. There is no point contacting German based companies unless you are looking for a Turbo S style rear spoiler.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

Thanks. After I posted, It dawned on me that was probably the case. While I've learned a lot about 993's over the last couple years, I'm just starting to learn the finer points of 964's and the options available. Some guy wrote a book that might be helpful if it was actually published Until December is a long time to wait.

Does the RSA wing replace the entire deck lid? The thing thats on the car now is one piece and I wonder if I'll need a new deck lid too (if I find an OEM RSA wing).
Old 11-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Cay
Instructor

Tom,

check this link to get a good overview - prices are also listed:

http://www.albertweb.de/Porsche/Karo...Spoiler964.htm

rest of program:

http://www.albertweb.de/1-main.htm
Old 11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

MA Shaw, in Califorina, makes a great product. See 'em in Excellence etc, or maybe Mike is lurking.
No connection/ just very satified!
Bill
Old 11-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I should clarify. I did a search of the web and have looked at most of the normal sites for Porsche aero parts (including MA Shaw, a Rennlist Sponsor, and others). I was hoping to find a good, used one (cheap). If a search for a used one was unsuccessful, I would spend the money for a new one.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 401 Posts

I agree w/ the others post, you want an RS America wing. They are a separate piece from the lid.

I just bought one from MA Shaw, at 10#s its nice and light. Finish and fit is good as well.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:11 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

You may need a new decklid as well:
2003 PCA Club Racing Rules: Stock Classes A-K
6. B. Chasis/body, with the exception of bumpers and spoilers, must be the same material and configuration as supplied by the factory.
i.e. the decklid needs to be original or of the same material. You can get the complete rule book from the PCA website.

I hear you on the "Prepared" mods. Some of the Club Racers I know make many of the allowed mods when running prepared: big brakes, LWF, revised ring and pinion, non-Factory LSD, dyno-tuned chip and one guy even removed his sunroof! That's on top of the VERY EXPENSIVE, double-adjustable, remote reservoir, monoball-equipped suspension, race exhaust and extra wide, lightweight, forged race wheels running pricey rubber (with a fresh set for the actual race).

Stock class isn't exactly cheap entertainment but a Prepared car will definitely put you in a different financial league.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 11-04-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One option is to take the top element off.

I'm not sure exactly what class this was but I've heard some 993 club racers to do that in order to not get bumped up.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, I'm just a poor beginner at the track. It will be a long while (if ever) before I do club racing. I was worried about the autocross and time trial rules for the GGR region. I thought about taking the top of the wing off. But, to be honest, I thought it would look too stupid and would be embarassed to drive it in public. (I think my wife may even buy that as an excuse to get a different tail.)

I'm all too familiar with putting lots of money into a car. I've done that with the 993 by putting in the LWF and having the transmission re-geared (shorter) before I knew about car classes. Of course, after I knew about the issue with the class, I added PSS-9's, RS-sway bars and a few other goodies for good measure. Now I have a very nice N/A daily driver that gets to compete with Hank Watts 650 hp turbo because we are (obviously) in the same class. Ya, right.

I tell myself that I will not spend the money on this car. And here I am spending money to reduce the cars class. Does that mean this is a "go slow" mod instead of a "go faster" mod? Must be a HWFM Racing car.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:51 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

For autocrossing, Tom, I don't think the wing is an issue. You need to be going pretty fast (70-80mph?) before it makes a difference. I guess if someone wanted to split hairs, they COULD say that you lightened the car by using a fiberglass decklid which puts you in the "Modified" class. The autocross guidelines are contained in the PCR (parade competition rules), which is also available at the PCA website. Check the "Library."

I'm not sure about time trial rules. Are you considering SCCA? I'm sure Hank Watts can fill you in.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 11-05-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:37 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Are you considering SCCA?
If he is looking to go SCCA Solo II - Stock Class, then fugeddaboutit!

You can't do much at all and stay in stock.

Springs? Sorry ASP class.
Rear Sway Bar? Sorry ASP.
Do anything whatsoever to the body? Sorry, ASP or maybe worse!

I did shocks and springs, which now gives me the pleasure of running against non-streetable, lightweight race cars like Lotus Elan's.

Like most sanctioning bodies, there are no provisions for half measures. The jump from stock to street prepared is huge. And while there are some newer street-mod classes, they are unfavorable to P Cars.

BGL
Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Tom,
The RSA rear spoiler requires a different engine lid. I say this because it is much better to keep your original for refitment later.
Just some info.
The maximum safe speed of a 964 without the need for a rear spoiler is 115 kph (72 mph).
The Porsche version of the RSA rear spoiler and engine lid add 10 kgs to the weight of your 964.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joey: My thinking goes like this: since I'm replacing the wing on the car due to poor fit and the "class" issues, I have two choices (1) stock moveable wing or (2) fixed RSA style wing. Since the motor for the moveable wing is gone and I have put the hot lap display where the switch for the moveable wing goes, I'm left with a fixed wing.

I know the wing does little or nothing in autocross and if I was in real competative events the RSA wing may not fall within a strict interpretation of the rules. However, our local group is pretty laid back for the regional events. The autocross guys in Np know that my 993 gearing technically puts me in Qm, but have agreed that it's acceptable for me to run in Np. Since it's local, we are more flexible. I'm a long way from being a good enough driver to be competative in a national or regional event. The 964 will be used for PCA autocross, DE and time trials only for at least a couple years as I build my skills.

Quick Reply: Looking for RS rear wing