Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil gauge not working??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 AM
polver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, I thought I was the only one who couldn't read the damned dipstick. Those twists in the normal range make it hard. Any tricks?

Also, I found out the "messy way" that I have a hole in my fill tube. Anyone done a DIY on that?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're definitely not the only one. I think part of being a new 911 owner is discovering that you can't read the dipstick at all.

I once saw a post suggesting you check the edge of the dipstick rather than the flat sides and this did seem slighty more reliable when I tried it. But I'm a bit lazy - these days I find the best solution is to ignore the dipstick and use the oil level gauge.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

As for reading the dipstick, I, too, have the same problem. I've read somewhere (on this list?) that a trick is to take a file and rough up the surface of the dipstick. This would give the oil something to cling too. Haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to.

Also: On my last (and only, so far) oil change, I overfilled it by about a pint. The oil level gauge shot way UP. I siphoned (using a turkey baster) off about 6 ounces or so and the oil level guage dropped back to 3 o'clock on the dial (engine hot and idling, of course). Just for kicks, I siphoned off another turkey baster-full (about 2 ounces?) and the level dropped into the red. I deduced from this that it doesn't take much in the way of capacity to cause the gauge needle to fluctuate from the red to normal to overfilled. Dunno if this would be the case for everyone but it was for me. My gauge needle has been in the normal range since and it's been over 1,500 miles.

For what it's worth, on this oil change I switched from whatever was in the car (10w40 synthetic, I was told by PO) to 0-40 Mobil 1 and I've noticed lots fewer oil drips on the garage floor.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

My guage is a PITA - I'll pull into my driveway, it will read 3 o'clock. Two days later, won't go over 4:00. Two days later, 2:45. I watch it at stoplights, when I get to work, in the drive through.

I think Porsche put this guage on the car to drive us all insane. I should just unplug the damn thing so I stop thinking about it.

Seriously, though - the oil capacity on these things is huge - I would get the temp to 9:00, get a case of M1, and start adding until it comes up. When I first bought my car, I thought the guage was broken, 'cause it was always in the red. I sat there with my mechanic, and we added over FIVE quarts of oil until the guage came up. I had no idea.

Now I drop in a quart about every thousand miles or so, keeps things happy.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
... Also: On my last (and only, so far) oil change, I overfilled it by about a pint. The oil level gauge shot way UP. I siphoned (using a turkey baster) off about 6 ounces or so and the oil level guage dropped back to 3 o'clock on the dial (engine hot and idling, of course). Just for kicks, I siphoned off another turkey baster-full (about 2 ounces?) and the level dropped into the red. ...
I've got a wee overfill at the moment, hoping to resolve it gracefully, but where are you using this turkey baster? Is there oil in your fill tube that you can get at that easily? Or am I missing something?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:24 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 463 Posts

Darryl, when the engine oil is cold, it's easy to unscrew the drain plug from the oil tank and let some oil out. With the cold oil, it slowly comes out with the drain plug not all the way removed. Just wear a glove since you will get your fingers oily. This has worked well for me when I found my car was filled too high when I got it (2 years ago - time flies!!!).
Old 09-04-2005, 03:30 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garrett376
Darryl, when the engine oil is cold, it's easy to unscrew the drain plug from the oil tank and let some oil out. With the cold oil, it slowly comes out with the drain plug not all the way removed. Just wear a glove since you will get your fingers oily. This has worked well for me when I found my car was filled too high when I got it (2 years ago - time flies!!!).
Thanks, Garrett, that was my plan until I read the turkey baster idea, but I've no visible oil in the filler tube. Couldn't see anywhere else to use a suction device, so just thought I'd try to clarify. I just had some work done on the car and the mechanic left it a tad too full for my taste...judging by Richard's post it's probably just about a half litre or so. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 AM
polver
Instructor

Wow, I wonder if everyone's experience is the same wrt how little change in volume it takes to get a oil level indicator change. That could explain why so many think the guage is worthless (even with hot, level, idle, etc. conditions). The level indicator would be low (in the red) long before any real problem was occuring. If I recall correctly, from the top of the normal band (B, or top of twist on dipstick) to the bottom (A, or bottom of twist) is 1.8 quarts. That is a much more significant "normal band" than the level indicatore would provide if 6 oz can move it from high to 3 o'clock. It also explains why a change from 3 to 4 o'clock isn't so surprising as 12.5 qts changes temperature and expands/contracts.

In short, what I get from this is as long as the oil guage indication is somehwere in range, then we are good to go. Much more sensitive then the impossible to read 1.8 quart range.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

The turkey baster will go a goodly ways down the fill tube, especially when the oil is hot. Tip: Do NOT use the spouse's turkey baster, or at least don't clean it and return it to the kitchen. Nothing good can come from this.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:57 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

... Tip: Do NOT use the spouse's turkey baster, or at least don't clean it and return it to the kitchen. Nothing good can come from this.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

The turkey baster will go a goodly ways down the fill tube, especially when the oil is hot. ...
Went out and bought my very own turkey baster ($1.99) and a measuring cup. Got car well hot and sure enough, oil in the filler tube practically to the brim - yikes. Stuffed some rags around the area, removed many "BasterFulls" to the measuring cup, very easy to titrate the amount removed. Ended up needing to take out a litre - my mechanic must have miscounted. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Oil gauge not working??