Sponsored by:

The making of a Porsche rest-volution

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

That's exciting.

I'm waiting for you to tell us you are going to build in hydraulic jacks so at the press of a button the car is off the ground...

Great thread. Keep it up...

Question on the targa hoop. Are you going to sofa blast the paint off and leave it stainless? Or will it stay painted....
Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
That's exciting.

I'm waiting for you to tell us you are going to build in hydraulic jacks so at the press of a button the car is off the ground...
That is why I love this forum...always more outstanding ideas

Originally Posted by Goughary
Question on the targa hoop. Are you going to sofa blast the paint off and leave it stainless? Or will it stay painted....
Goughary if I share everything there won't be any surprises for the end...yes, the plan is to bring the targa bar back to its stainless glory.

Now let me see where I can run the lines for those hydraulic jacks...
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Happy New Year's to all the fellow RL'ers...I had hoped to post earlier, but family visits, holiday plans, etc. Christmas came a week early for me thanks to Tom and team over at DSC Sport...The suspension arrived prior to St. Nick swinging by. I think Tom and his team as well as the Tractive Elves certainly delivered, but I will let you all judge for yourselves.

Unboxing....

two more boxes of the same

first glimpse of the kit

sorry for the poor phone photos...fortunately Jordan at DSC Sport has taken the professional photos and sent me them.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Tom, Jordan, the whole DSC Sport team and Tractive have been absolutely amazing in this process. The design brief was to create a modern suspension system similar to what the current generation of Porsche 911s are running that could deliver stellar handling on the track while still providing real world compliance on the street where this car will spend 90+%

There are a tremendous number of options of high quality suspension systems, but I wanted to have something unique for this project. I will have to wait a couple more months for the rest of the car to catch up before we can dial in the geometry and calibrate the system, but for now here are DSC Sport's beauty role of what they have dubbed the 964/993 RTx Plus system.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

As if the joy of dampers wasn't enough...Jae over at Mirage has made progress and completed the bottom end of the motor. Unfortunately that update will have to wait until I get back in country to post photos as I have to upload them.

I don't know how he found the time between building motors and sorting out a number of client's racecars, but he also hosted one heck of a holiday gathering at his shop with some of the tastiest tacos in San Diego. It was fun day and it was great to meet fellow Porschephiles.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Insane job, can't wait for the next updates and your final report on how it handles vs stock/with sport springs.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

It has been I while since I have updated the tread on the project....there were a number or factors, but the shop managing the work has really started moving the needle forward.

As a refresher - this is how my car has sat for a long, long, time awaiting to be worked on.

The initial plan was to focus on a mechanical restoration as the majority of the paint was original (minus a respray of the hood and front bumper cover due to stone chips).

CPR took paint thickness measurements all over the car. It all was looking really good (possibly save some money). There were a few rust spots on the window frame and targa bar, but nothing too bad. That was until they cut the factory welded studs to remove the front fenders.

The inner frame rails had some rust running from midway up to where it joined the front bulkhead on both sides. Looks as if the car sat outside on an upslanted driveway and the watter just pooled under the body panels.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

CPR's crew tackled the rusty areas they uncovered and all in all it wasn't as bad as I had thought when I first saw photos

This however led me down the path of "If rust is there, then where else is it hiding...so down the rabbit hole we went. So after multiple conversations on how to address paint, the whole car will be inspected, sanded down and resprayed.

While the panels were being checked and prepped, the metal magicians worked to make sure that all of the body panels sat flush with where they intersected with other panels.

Then the prepping of the body and fenders began

Old 07-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

While CPR is tackling the body, Jae at Mirage has been building the motor. I cannot go on about what a great guy Jae is and how he takes time to spend time to discuss each aspect of the work he is doing and why he does it. He is extremely detail oriented and I am happy that he lets me poke in on his shop so I can expand my basic knowledge of these cars.

The motor is pretty much all buttoned up, and we are awaiting a couple of final pieces and then we will take it to get bench dynoed to see where she is at. I wish that I had the forethought to bench dyno the stock motor for a reference point, but as with most on this forum...I am sure this is stage one and will serve as my reference point moving forward.

Here is the motor mostly done and buttoned up, but I will walk back from here to shoe some of the fun shiny bits that went into her
Old 07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

ON the one hand I am jealous and on the other I am HOPING I never have to tear this deeply into mine.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
ON the one hand I am jealous and on the other I am HOPING I never have to tear this deeply into mine.
The initial plan was NOT to paint the car...but if I am going to do this right, it is the best way to go.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

I am hoping that I may get to put wheels to the ground aound August, although that may be a bit ambitious. The motor is all but done, just working out a suitable solution for the exhaust that allows good breathing while retaining heat.

Here are some Motor build shots. I could go through and describe each, but you all here probably know better than I. It has been amazing to read the amazing build threads here on Rennlist, talk with Jae and other builders and understand the advantages and disadvantages of certain stratagies.

Although I am building out the motor as a 3.8 and have some cool components, the primary mission of this car is to be a daily driven street car that can be tracked. As such, the car has to be able to be 50 state compliant (also as I live in California) to include smog. This is reflected in some of the choices made for the motor. Long lasting durability trumps big numbers on paper...but we will know what those numbers are for reference in a few weeks.

Last edited by Nylasurf; 07-02-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: order of pictures
Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nylasurf

Although I am building out the motor as a 3.8 and have some cool components, the primary mission of this car is to be a daily driven street car that can be tracked. As such, the car has to be able to be 50 state compliant (also as I live in California) to include smog.
Serious question because I would eventually like to do the same.....

How does one do this? Is it as simple as building a stock stroke 3.8 and then using all if the factory engine externals?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Serious question because I would eventually like to do the same.....

How does one do this? Is it as simple as building a stock stroke 3.8 and then using all if the factory engine externals?

Thanks
Over simplifying it...yes, but there is alot that goes into the 3.8 especially to get the benefits of it being a 3.8. Considerations are in the fueling, air intake and volume, etc. We are using a mix and match of stock pieces that will provide better flow while keeping the stock look such as 993RS downtubes on a 964 plenum. As much as I would love to go and put on a GT3 intake and individual throttle bodies, I worry about the CARB. I know there are a number of members here in Cali that may have done it and they can speak to it better than I. I am not as concerned about SMOG.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:16 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Me too. If/when I rebuild my engine Id like to get as much out of it as possible but I need need to be able to take it to any smog station and get it passed and registered with no issues.

Quick Reply: The making of a Porsche rest-volution