Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:43 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Aren't the 964RS seats identical to the Pole Positions with respect to the seat/base and therefore the mounting set up should be identical.
From what I gather, no, they're not identical. The OEM RS version is slightly smaller. It fits without mods. But it also is like $10k+ for a pair haha!
Old 12-18-2016, 01:49 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, that's it.

That will work as well. The most current recaro sliders do not come with the seat belt receptacle attachment, so however you get it is fine.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:56 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok! I didn't knew that; given that I bought them 2 Month ago I thought they were the latest model.

Now, I have this slider. But the original seatbelt receptacle would still no work with them, if you go tunnel side. That's the reason I'm searching for longer belt receptacles...
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Think ya'll are making this harder than it should be.
I bought just the sliders. Bolted in to standard seat mount position on floor of 964. Bolted Recaro seat mount sides on then mounted seats to these. It is easier if you take a few measurements and assemble al the bolt sliders on to floor with seat attached. Slide back slide forward to access Allen bolts to floor. I can remove seat by just taking out the four anchor Allen bolts.
I used outside stock seatbelt anchor point and drilled hole in rear area of center tunnel for inside seatbelt anchor point. On the outside anchor ring bolt I heated and compressed the circle out of shape to allow the seat to slide back freely. It hit the ring on slide back so had to shift seat a little and compress ring to allow clearance
Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

I am not sure what you mean with inside or outside anchor point but drilling holes into the tunnel doesn't sound simple to me. Additioned to the fact that it's a one way thing, you basically damage the car to a non-return point, what you wanted to do first was just mount a bucket seat

Do you have pics of your setup Gus? Maybe other might be interested.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Ok - out side is the belt anchor point on the left side of the drivers seat on a US car. Inside anchor is on the right side of drivers seat (US car). This is the anchor requiring hole to be drilled in tunnel. Drill ½ inch hole and use 2 inch seat belt anchor washers top and bottom to pinch sheet metal . 2 half inch holes that the carpet can cover is not going to damage the car to a non return point. But, my car is so far passed that point it doesn't make any difference. Will take and post pictures.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:44 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

Great thanks!

Yes you are right, but I paid too much for my car to start doing things like this. That's why I need it proper, the car has still to be very functional.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM
apanossi
Banned

Originally Posted by Gus
Think ya'll are making this harder than it should be.
I bought just the sliders. Bolted in to standard seat mount position on floor of 964. Bolted Recaro seat mount sides on then mounted seats to these. It is easier if you take a few measurements and assemble al the bolt sliders on to floor with seat attached. Slide back slide forward to access Allen bolts to floor. I can remove seat by just taking out the four anchor Allen bolts.
I used outside stock seatbelt anchor point and drilled hole in rear area of center tunnel for inside seatbelt anchor point. On the outside anchor ring bolt I heated and compressed the circle out of shape to allow the seat to slide back freely. It hit the ring on slide back so had to shift seat a little and compress ring to allow clearance
I agree. It's actually simpler than one may think. For me, most of the assembly took place out of the car (slider to mount, mount to seat). The only thing you need to do is measure the mounting points on the car. If you want a second rear anchoring point (as in the stock configuration) on the Recaro slider, you will have to measure out the forward bolt location and drill a single hole there. I, like others and yourself, did not want to drill the central tunnel either, so the RS seat belt bracket is what I used and it slides with seat adjustment.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

Hi Apanossi!

Great! I wonder how you could achieve the seat belt bucke coming up there. Is the belt buckle original? It seems thath you took the tunnel cover off; you are going to put it back?

Without the tunnel cover it looks that there is no issue...
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM
apanossi
Banned

Full disclosure: I did tear out all of my interior, so I had a bit more room between the seat and the tunnel to work with. I run a very spartan setup. And in fact, you may need to pull off the center console while installing the seats, but that may not even be necessary. It ultimately shouldn't matter. The seat belt bracket and receptacle are far enough inside that they would clear without issues. That is the stock seat belt receptacle I used off my old seat. Make sure you mount the receptacle though before anchoring the seat to the floor.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Apanossi - nice seat install - but the seat belt leaves something to be desired as the buckle is not going to allow the seat belt to hold you tightly in the seat unless you run the clasp (right side) through the right side seat opening to allow this to happen. Not sure what you do - but that would not pass safety here. You installed basically the same way that I did - configured the seats out of the car, bolted mounts to seat , sliders to mounts a,d then installed in the car and tighten everything in place. I made a special allen tool ( a short allen head wrench) to allow me access to the seat side allen bolts to make removing and installing just eh seat easier.
Nine11 are you installing a 5/6 point seat belt system or just seats and trying to use stock belts - what are you going to do - Stock belts with PP seats is not the way to go in my opinion, the seat is design for a harness 5/6 belt set up - stay with a stock seat setup if you want to use the stock belt system - save money - If you are trying to keep car perfect then why change seats as this will certainly change car configuration from stock just like drilling a hole in the tunnel. There are several schools here so don't want to go into that at all.
I have attached some pictures of my seat belt set up -
much like Apanossie I have removed much of the interior to obtain access to places and parts. While my roll bar is 100% removable I did modify the interior to insure a safer mount location and minimum bar bends. I also welded in anchor nut points and various locations to insure that the roll bar is as strong as it could be given the configuration.
Pictures are of the front slide mount bolted to the stock seat anchor position. 2nd picture is of the rear seat slide anchor bolted to stock seat position. Note anti-sub belt that is mounted to the floor through a 3/8 inch hole with 2 inch washers. 3rd picture is of the side mount and anti-sub mount for the belts - The side mount uses the stock seat belt anchor position. The last (4th) is of the anti-sub belt anchor bolted to the floor using a drilled hole in floor and large washers top and bottom.
The upper shoulder strap belts are anchored to a cross bar on the roll bar. IF you look closely at the seat belt anchor clips you will see that they are all pinned closed to keep them from coming loose.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

OOps - pictures - sorry
Attached Images     
Old 12-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Just so you know my car here are a few pictures
Attached Images      
Old 01-28-2017, 11:39 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus
Nine11 are you installing a 5/6 point seat belt system or just seats and trying to use stock belts - what are you going to do - Stock belts with PP seats is not the way to go in my opinion, the seat is design for a harness 5/6 belt set up - stay with a stock seat setup if you want to use the stock belt system - save money - If you are trying to keep car perfect then why change seats as this will certainly change car configuration from stock just like drilling a hole in the tunnel. There are several schools here so don't want to go into that at all.
I didn't had the original seats anyway. So I'm kind of upgrading old sparco seats to new PPs.

I have to say it is a PITA to get everything secure, legal and proper, but I had to notice that the shoudler harness belts would not fit anyway because I am to tall for the seat anyways. My butt has also no more space. I had a very good discount from a collegue's friend and I went for them. Should have tried them first. I though it's impossible the seat would not be large enough for me (im just under 1 meter 90). Anyway, I want to try with them before I change again, and that means getting belts correctly.

Bought 2 used OEM 964 rear seat belt buckle receptacles on ebay, and will try Bill's way to do, as I am sure the belt has to go through the center bucketseat hole to ensure safety.

Gus, Very nice track toy by the way. Doesn't look too stock
Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

looking Great Gus!

Quick Reply: New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s