ABS cut out of the brake system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Cebae
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS cut out of the brake system

Hello guys,

Since I'm having a warning on my ABS system and the ALARM which sounds after engine start i'm thinking about to delete the abs system on my car.

It's costs a lot to have it repair and on track do you really need this?!

I'm doing a brake upgrade to the BIG REDS for the front. And now I was thinking about taking out the ABS pump/mecanism.

Does any one of you have any experience with this? Will I have a lot of lock up?

Thanks a lot

Cebae
Old 11-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Do you know what's causing the the system to generate errors?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pull the fuse first!

Please do yourself a favor. Pull the fuse on the ABS system and then put the car through a proper thrashing at the track. Do that long before you start seriously considering removing your ABS system. Will you see a difference in what happens with your wheels under braking? Oh yea, and you'll also get the pleasure of feeling what it's like to drive on flat spotted tires. Ask me how I know? Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, etc.

My point is that by simply pulling the fuse on the ABS system you can easily simulate your car's braking behavior without ABS. See for yourself and decide accordingly.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:51 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the ABS tester from the Rennlister that makes them.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

You don't want our terrible abs system on the track.

Well- let me rephrase - were you t be racing in a class with compatible cars and needed to worry about marginal lap time differences, you wouldn't want our terrible abs system. It's a horrible old school, early abs and is fine for the street. But you slow the car significantly faster without it.

If you then are flat spotting your tires, fix the driver and not the car. And learn how to feel your brakes better. These cars have excellent road feel.

As to actually deleting it- there is no way that you are racing in a series with compatible cars in a 964. So you don't need to worry abt hundredths of seconds in lap time. It's not spec Miata...so disable the system as was suggested above. Track times on track days are always a race against your own previous time. So make the car work well to your liking and have fun. If you delete the abs, you delete sake value from the car. So I'd leave it alone and when you get a chance to fix it...get that done. And always shut it off on the track if you like that better.

Quick Reply: ABS cut out of the brake system