Sponsored by:

Our new 964: Help Make this RS America Great Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:43 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Our new 964: Help Make this RS America Great Again

I've been a long time reader on this site, but I mostly stick to 981 related topics as I have a 981S. I've been very active on planet9 as there seem to be more Boxster / Cayman guys there. I've always wanted a 911 and through some interesting, unfortunate, and unique circumstances, I was able to purchase THE first Porsche I ever rode in: a Grand Prix white 1993 RS America. Since the first time I saw the the car, I knew I had to have a Porsche as soon as possible. Now many years later and at the same timing having a 981S, I never thought it would be the same RS America. I am grateful that this car joins the 981 in the stable.

1993 RS AMERICA
Grand Prix white / black
Factory options: Sunroof, AC, Radio

The car hasn't been turned on in three years and was basically sitting in an industrial warehouse since that time--paint is only ok, a few random dings, and one tiny spot of surface rust (driver window seal). Haven't tried turning the car on as the fuel smells spoilt and it needs a battery. I have knowledge that prior to three years ago the car was running--again I can only hope it ran well and was otherwise mechanically sound. This car, to me, is the ultimate project car. I'm happy to have this true nostalgia car and plan on slowly and carefully bringing her back to her full glory. I've been a couch gearhead for many years, but I am looking forward to actually working on this car. I look forward to people's advice and knowledge about this car.

In short and not being political or offering any political support (today out of all days), but with that pun, I feel that together we can "Make this RS AMERICA Great Again"

Here are a few pics and I hope to create a thread showing the work I and a few friends plan on doing so hopefully we may also contribute to this site .

Last edited by RADONCulous; 11-27-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the car and welcome to the air-cooled side of the house. You will find that everyone here is very helpful and a wealth of knowledge.

Is this a car that you plan to keep in your stable or plan to sell when you complete the work...as this will have a bearing on if you plan on restoring her to her original glory or looking to mod her a bit.

either way I look forward to following the progress and happy to see another 964 get roadworthy again.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Congrats on the car and welcome to the air-cooled side of the house. You will find that everyone here is very helpful and a wealth of knowledge.

Is this a car that you plan to keep in your stable or plan to sell when you complete the work...as this will have a bearing on if you plan on restoring her to her original glory or looking to mod her a bit.

either way I look forward to following the progress and happy to see another 964 get roadworthy again.
Excellent point and thanks for your cordial welcome...since I have a history with the car, in an ideal world I would like to keep this car forever and slowly restore it. I've always wanted a Porsche and fortunately I was able to purchase my Boxster a few years ago. I got the bug then and I kept looking for air cooled 911s thereafter as I felt that every review I read about the newer (and frankly more capable P-cars), there was something that everyone felt was lacking that the air-cooled cars had in terms of character. When I found out this car was for sale I took my chances.

I will post more detailed photos soon and add to the list of modifications, but superficially the previous owner added an aftermarket stereo, wheels, exhaust, seats, gauges, and suspension. I would be inclined to find original seats and gauges.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The car looks to be a detail and fluid change away from being fully "restored" and back on the road. Might want to put fresh tires on it too.

Was this a Texas car? Looks familiar.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats man!

I can't believe that tow truck driver put the J hooks on the wheels.

-Jason
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new car. It doesn't look like it will need too much to get back up and running.

I assume you are in Florida? There is a good group of 964 guys in the South Florida area that meet up from time to time for some drives and track days. Shoot me a PM if you want to be added to our email distribution list.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:22 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Thanks for the kind words!

The plan for this weekend is to drain and replace all fluids (gas, oil, transmission, brake, coolant). I also need 6 spark plugs, a battery, oil/air/fuel filter.

I am planning on ordering these items soon. Are there any specific recommendations or sites I should buy from?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
The plan for this weekend is to drain and replace all fluids (gas, oil, transmission, brake, coolant). I also need 6 spark plugs, a battery, oil/air/fuel filter.
Call your local Porsche center for the coolant recommendation. Sometimes it can be climate specific. In those hot Florida climates, they might even suggest a coolant additive such as Water Wetter.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant what? this one is air and oil cooled. Make sure to get 12 spark plugs instead of just 6.

Looks like a nice car that will shape up easily, congrats
Old 11-09-2016, 11:11 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a find, do you mind sharing the story behind finding this sleeping beauty. Obviously aside from names and location. Amazing
Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Call your local Porsche center for the coolant recommendation. Sometimes it can be climate specific. In those hot Florida climates, they might even suggest a coolant additive such as Water Wetter.
+1

Today's additive was 0.010 kg/m3

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 11-10-2016, 12:26 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I am planning on ordering these items soon. Are there any specific recommendations or sites I should buy from?
Suncoast Porsche in Florida is the go to dealer in the southeast for discounted OEM parts. Sunset in Oregon is equally as good so it pays to compare prices on bigger ticket items. Lastly, Pelican is a good source as well.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

What an absolute beauty! Congratulations. As far as parts, I've listed some links below for you:

Spark plugs - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Oil filter - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item6
Air filter - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Fuel filter - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item9
Transmission fluid - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ion-Clutch.htm
Brake fluid (I use the Ate Typ200 Super Gold) - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item5

And for anything else please be sure to check here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...58_catalog.htm. If you have any questions please don't heistate to let me know.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Thanks guys...as per MTR's recommendations I checked out Parkhaus1--for anyone in So Fla this place is incredible nearly a dozen 964s, 993s, a 991 R, and a Singer among other unique Porsches.

From Parkhaus1, I picked up oil, transmission fluid, DME relay, battery and 12 plugs.

From eBay I picked up some rear trunk struts.

From Pelicanparts or classified, I'm planning on picking up the front struts.

Looking forward to this weekend ...
Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love these threads.

You should post a video of the initial cranking and starting.

Quick Reply: Our new 964: Help Make this RS America Great Again