908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks really great.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:48 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all! The wheel locks were really holding us back on making progress with the car--brake work / new tires. I was quoted $150 by the nearest dealership to open the wheel locks and locksmiths were charging about similar. I went on amazon and bought a lock picking kit and with some practice I thought I'd give the wheel locks a go...I spent some time with the car today and am proud (probably shouldn't be?) to report that I was able to pick the wheel locks off the car although it took me a lot longer than anticipated

I kind of want to post a DIY on this topic, but don't know if this is allowed given the topic would be how to pick your wheel locks if you lost the key, but I doubt a thief would want to pick these and they are more likely to take the entire car or drill the locks off.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's very cool you were able to pick them! 20 years ago my 73 911 had wheels locks and I ended up drilling them off.
NTB will take them off for 10 bucks per lock, I just had to do that on my daily.

-Jason
Old 11-26-2016, 11:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just jamb the small blunt blade of a 2" pocket knife into the slot wiggle it left to right while pulling it off. It will ruin the lock but they come off easy. They are not very sophisticated.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

We were finally able to put some work into the car in preparation for Das Renn Treffen 2017 in South Miami this weekend. As such, we were inspired to enter the car in the event and finally get back to working on it.

Battery: the car has not been driven at all in the last month so the battery is dead. We jumped the car with a battery pack a few times today and probably drove it around 30 miles but the battery (about 3 months old) won't hold charge after the jump--there is concern the alternator may be out because of this. The battery is currently on a tender charger.

Tires: we purchased Michelin Super Sports and I had these installed at a local tire shop. Unfortunately, the tire shop did not tighten the valve stems and one of the tires basically went flat in a few hours. Being that it was a front tire it was very evident with the lack of power steering that there was an issue. We tightened the stem and refilled the tire hour later it seemed to hold air. We will check again tomorrow or its going back to the tire shop on Saturday.

Wandering idle: this has been a constant since we got the car running. When idling the car likes move about in the 11-1500 RPM range and when applying the throttle it will sometimes drop RPMS in the sub 800 range leading to a momentary lack of power followed by a quick jump in RPMS as if its trying to catch up. This erratic behavior makes it quite difficult to get off the line. Oil pressure doesn't really change during this symptom. When the car is in motion it works just fine and the RPMS are what is expected. To help assuage idle issue, we replaced the DME relay, but the problem is still there. Is there some other sensor or something we should look at next? I've read a bit about O2 sensors, idle sensor valves (ISV), "lose hoses"...but anything DIY that would be worth trying? We are considering taking it to a shop soon.

Quickjack 5000SLX. We purchased this after the numerous threads discussing the product. Putting the product together is pretty straightforward; however, we had to use the jacks in a perpendicular instead of parallel position. Some members were able to use this lift in the recommended parallel position, but perhaps our 18" wheels were too large for clearance--literally needs an inch or so to be fine. Pelican Parts had briefed me on the perpendicular position and it seems to work fine. The key issue we had was that the jacks would lose height and were held up by the safety bars. This is definitely not ideal and despite the obvious concern for a leak we were unable to find any. I will discuss this with the company for sure. Furthermore, it should be noted that later this summer they have intention of creating a "Porsche specific" lift that will also fall under the max 5000 lbs category.

Front Valence: We have the classic "smile" syndrome as seen on http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/te...nt_Valance.htm. We followed the instructions and replaced one of the sides as it had deep scuffs. The "smile" was only temporary fixed because the plastic bumper tabs don't appear to like staying in the grill despite seemingly securing them--seems to be a pretty poor design and would probably have looked fine without the horizontally straked grills. Anyway, I'll try again to get it right.

Apart from the above issues, we were content with one part of the project.
Paint: the paint had terrible oxidation and if you look at the previous photos its apparent. It almost looked like a tiger from up close. The car was a great 10 footer when she came home, but now she's looking great Fortunately, the paint is not shot and we were able to bring out the luster. We spent half the day with two orbital polishers on the car and we are grateful for the results.

Our pom admiring his reflection...or the RSA?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

As far as the battery going dead, I think all 964s draw them down when not driven regularly. Mine does so I keep a Ctek trickle charger on it. One of my Audis had a dead battery because the car sat for well more than a year without being run. Pulled the battery and left it on the big battery charge at the mechanic's over night and it came back. Tested good after doing that and works fine now.

As far as the hunting idle, I could be wrong on this, but I've seen 964s do this when the owner has replaced the dual mass flywheel with a light flywheel. Do you have records from the previous owner showing a clutch and flywheel replacement?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Looks great have fun..

As far as the tire. Were the old tires on the rims for a long time. A lot of shops will not clean the old rubber that bonds itself to the rim from the old tires being on their for so long. This can also cause slow leaks.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

In terms of the idle and RPM loss, try checking all your grounds. I had an intermittent idle and engine-kill issue that I hunted for over a year in my RSA and eventually it came down to some loose/oxidized ground wires that would cause problems as they lost/re-gained connection. Since this car has sat for a while you may get good results by pulling and cleaning all your grounds.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Alright, I'm going to revive this thread after a long hiatus as we've been enjoying this car tremendously since we brought her home and definitely over the last 18 months or so since she was well sorted. I was hoping to use this thread as a means to archive our experience with this car, so here goes:

Initially my buddy and I spent a lot of amateur hours on the car, but ultimately the car went to a local air cooled specialty shop where she received the tender care she needed. Apparently, the previous owners did a great job taking care of the car overall, so I clearly mis-spoke into labeling the car a "project". I think a few of you also pointed out that she was a wash and some new fluids away from being completely road ready. We greatly appreciate all the advice on getting the car up and running. This forum is a tremendous resource.

Originally, we had intended to slowly work on the car; however, impatience got the best of me and we basically did all of the recommended work on the car including original airbox, brakes, all belts, clutch, alternator, transmission reseal, AC work, fuel injectors, original flywheel, fresh fluids all around, minor cosmetic touch ups...etc. We also reworked the suspension with PSS10s / camber plates / toe links. The car was string aligned and corner balanced to make her track-worthy although I doubt she will see a track. Overall, the car handles superbly and is completely flat in the corners. I had an issue with wandering idle which is no longer an issue as the original ECU / MAF was sourced. I also made a few vanity changes to the car including a Porsche classic radio (aesthetics / blue-tooth are worth it alone), original seats, and a Momo Steering wheel. We also picked up an original set of Cup 1 wheels that go with the car that right now are being stored as the current wheels have grown on us. The paint now looks stunning after some proper paint correction and ceramic application. Fortunately, its appears to be original paint from what was measured.

We go back and forth with the car in regards to getting her completely original versus just enjoying the car as she is with said modifications. With that being said we have a relatively low mile car that I have been racking up the miles so I also go back and forth with the idea of saving the miles versus just enjoying the car. At this time we are more the latter with both dilemmas and are truly enjoying driving the car. She's been on long road trips, daily commutes, rallies with other enthusiasts, and numerous car shows in the area. The 964 truly is a treat! Here are some recent pictures:

Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great update. It's nice to get owner insight on how they view the car, what mods they do, and how they use it. Especially as that evolves over time.
These cars get under your skin.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:53 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Love that you returned her to stock, do you have pic's of the interior ? and some close ups of the paint and engine compartment ?

Air cooled Love
Old 10-18-2018, 02:30 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Car looks great ! I'm sure you've discovered that the wheels are Kinesis SuperCup RS , a lot of people prefer this set up because they come both 17 and I believe 18 ..oh and a helluva lot cheaper than real deal Speedlines ! Haha !
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Love that you returned her to stock, do you have pic's of the interior ? and some close ups of the paint and engine compartment ?

Air cooled Love
Here are some interior pics with our pom Chico... as well as pics of the paint to show how vibrant and glossy it now is .

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great update. It's nice to get owner insight on how they view the car, what mods they do, and how they use it. Especially as that evolves over time.
These cars get under your skin.
Thanks for the kind words. These cars truly are special and they are a reflection on the owner. Again, I go back with restoring her to completely original and leaving her the way she is with certain subjectively taste-ful mods...looking forward to her evolution...

Originally Posted by budge96
Car looks great ! I'm sure you've discovered that the wheels are Kinesis SuperCup RS , a lot of people prefer this set up because they come both 17 and I believe 18 ..oh and a helluva lot cheaper than real deal Speedlines ! Haha !
You are correct, these are the Kinesis! We are digging the look

Quick Reply: Our new 964: Help Make this RS America Great Again