Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone keep their old original parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:50 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does everyone keep their old original parts?

I don't have the storage room I used to and parts like the original door panels, rear seats, rear parcel shelf etc are taking up a lot of room. Does keeping these really make much of a difference if I ever decided to sell the car? They weren't in great shape to begin with.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I am keeping some parts but not others that are worn out. I have my original seats, rear seats and one of the engine trays but I sold the other. I also sold my original D90 wheels.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss
I don't have the storage room I used to and parts like the original door panels, rear seats, rear parcel shelf etc are taking up a lot of room. Does keeping these really make much of a difference if I ever decided to sell the car? They weren't in great shape to begin with.

Thanks
You will be surprised what people want. I had loads of the original stuff stored (as I took it out and transformed mine in to a lighter C2). Everything from rear wiper arm to the comfort seats.

I was left with it all when I sold the car earlier this year so set about selling what I had left. 964 Specific stuff sold easily by advertising them in the for sale sections of Porsche forums. Stuff that could be sold to non 964 owners went on Ebay. I had huge interest in the front seats which eventually went to a chap doing up a VW camper van.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Wrapped up and boxed baby. A great tech who is. Aporsche nut told me "real men keep their parts". I dunno if that is true but I do keep them for the odd chance I may turn a car back stock. Will I? Fk no. I like them better when I'm done but the next guy might want to. The upside is a garage costing me x00 a mo where I keep 2 of the cars filled up w **** I'll never use !!!! Ok the spare tire pile I will use.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Any advice on storing the stock seats? I have had some Pole Positions sitting in the house for over a year and I'm not sure how I'd store the stock seats. Would the attic be too hot? I don't have the space to have them sitting in a corner of the garage without them being in the way.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I am keeping some parts but not others that are worn out. I have my original seats, rear seats and one of the engine trays but I sold the other. I also sold my original D90 wheels.
ditto ... got seats, trays, aircon, ps pump, door cards
sold exhaust, d90s (sometimes missed, so silky on bumpy roads)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Canneryrow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every. Single. Piece.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:29 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
...which eventually went to a chap doing up a VW camper van.
Now that would look awesome Steve!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:37 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Very worn or damaged trim or interior parts, or parts that are common/cheap to replace I have just stacked for a cheap garage sale or giveaway. Mechanicals, electrics, switchgear etc I have a habbit of keeping - no particular reason other than 'just in case'.

Have a pair of linen color (working electrics) Sports seats and rears to match I've had lying around the garage for the last 6 months I should sell... if anyone nearby wants to take them off my hands (near Milton Keynes, UK).
Old 11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save it. Even if you never put it back, somebody probably can use it.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss

Thanks
I keep all of mine - including broken replaced parts just in case I can salvage something.
What colour is your interior? I'm in TO as well.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

I kept most of mine but I'm tempted to sell them.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I have a shed and two attics full. I buy hard to find parts when they come up cheap as well. I foolishly thought parts wouldn't appreciate that much years ago and I am kicking myself for selling 5 or 6 sets of both CupI's and speedlines NIB.

To think I sold 5 sets of speedlines NIB for $5k to $5500 now look what they are worth. Not to mention how many sets of CupI's i sold used for $800.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:02 PM
julesdoty
8th Gear

I'm inclined to keep pretty much everything except for worn mechanical stuff like relays and pumps. After visiting the Toy and Lit Meet in L.A. last year, even though that meet is basically for all the pre-'74 cars, I can see that there will eventually be a market for the "newer" cars as well. I have the space for now in the garage, so I just assume that the passion for these cars means that my trash might eventually be someone's treasure.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:12 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely.

I have amongst other items.

Two sports front seats
Two rear seats and squabs
Two rear quarters
One rear shelf
Two door cards and arm rests
Mats and carpets
Indicators
Standard diff
Standard ARB's
Rear spoiler
Fog lights
Rear bumper LHS lower
Cat
Standard exhaust
Secondary silencer
Set of MM cups and tyres

and probably a bit more if I could be asked to count it all up.

Why, well mines a bit Marmite, so i do have the opportunity to return to stock, and given the prices just lately....

Quick Reply: Does everyone keep their old original parts?