Sponsored by:

964 headlights upgrade options at present

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 964 headlights upgrade options at present

I am getting into upgrading/rehabbing a lovely old 964.

I had seen on RL last year a vendor that made so-called 'Singer style' headlamps for older Porsche's with upright headlights... doing a search for that RL member's threads looks like he/she was banned!

Not sure what is up with that, but I am just curious at this point, for you experienced 964 owners - what are the best options for upgrading and/or modernizing the stock headlamps units on 964's? ...both in terms of functional light output as well as having a cool, updated look, for example, those installed on the Singer cars?

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
motts (05-05-2020)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Option 1 - "Singer Style" HIDs from Francois (frank2009).
Option 2 - LEDs from John Audette (jaudette3)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:41 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find complete information about my JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 headlight assemblies at my website:

http://www.audettecollection.com/leds-for-porsches/

Please feel free to contact me for more information or to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

LumeTechnic kit from RPM Technic.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Option 1 - "Singer Style" HIDs from Francois (frank2009).
Option 2 - LEDs from John Audette (jaudette3)
Just a personal note, I did option #1 and was very pleased with the result. I have no experience with the other options, but I believe there is also a plug and play LED bulb option that is very inexpensive.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:58 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks gents

very helpful

am in contact with the vendors
Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Just a personal note, I did option #1 and was very pleased with the result. I have no experience with the other options, but I believe there is also a plug and play LED bulb option that is very inexpensive.
I also went with the HIDs from Francois for the 964. On my Jeep, I have the same LEDs John uses and I love the light output, I just did not like the looks of them on the 964.
Also forgot about the Woodypeck LED bulbs some members have been running, much cheaper alternative compared to the other two options.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with OEM Euro H4 housings and these LED's:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb-_p_83.html

If I were to do this conversion today, I would use these LED's instead:

https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...d-headlight-h4
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

retrofitting led bulbs is not legal here. not that anyone seems to care.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I worked with Francois on doing a custom set. Unfortunatly they didn't work properly and Francois was great to work with and very responsive. He offered a full refund plus shipping cost and or a new standard set. We took the new set and have them installed and they look great. I measure how good a vendor is by when you have a problem and how they respond. Francois was fantastic and highly recommend dealing with him.

Originally Posted by LPMM
I also went with the HIDs from Francois for the 964. On my Jeep, I have the same LEDs John uses and I love the light output, I just did not like the looks of them on the 964.
Also forgot about the Woodypeck LED bulbs some members have been running, much cheaper alternative compared to the other two options.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

OEM H4 (or H1 if you have the funds) are a marked improvement over the H5. I wouldn't touch any aftermarket HID/LED type headlights with the proverbial 10' pole.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I have h4 on mine with "normal" wattage bulbs and they are quite good once adjusted. Much better patter than the h5 on my 89.

I've seen an hid setup installed on a 964 behind a fluted glass lens and cosmetically it looked good installed in the car. . But no idea on lighting performance. I'm personally not a fan of the "singer" look or those that look like and eyeball behind the lens.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with an oem h4 setup because I didn't like the eyeball look that spyrex mentions on the singer cars. It's one of the few details on their cars that seems out of place. I believe my lights are 55/100watt and the output is a huge improvement over h4s, though not as good as fhe LED headlights I installed on my jeep
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What last 2 guys said... Although i may try led's if i can find with p45t base. ( i have swb old 911 h4's)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

I apologise for a double post but it seems there are a few threads on the same subject so I hope it helps. I've had these in for several months now and all I can say is I wish I'd done it earlier.

Here are some details ripped from my thread So It Begins here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...begins-38.html

For some time I've been deliberating what to do about the dismal headlights, and to be fair I don't go out much in the dark, it's scary Well, it certainly is in a 964 with the standard headlight fare.

I had been thinking of going for the Lume Technic LED's offered with either clear or standard lenses but to be honest I wanted to keep the car (from a distance) to look basic with the normal Porsche Bosch H4 senses so it seemed like a lot of money for their upgrade and not change the look.

After a quick search (thanks W90) and a couple of emails back and forwards to Steve at Woodypeck www.woodypeck.com he recommended the new R3 which push out 4800 lumens and are a straight fit, yep they are simply plug and play. You're up and running in 15 minutes, including the sidelights

These are they, and what you get in the box (not sidelights) and it all fits nicely into the receptacle bowls unlike some of the previous LED offerings. You don't need the small rubber ring seals in the box.

The side lights are extra but when I tell you that you'll get change out of £100 for the R3's and the sidelights it will probably be the best upgrade you can ever do to your car for the money.

The metal webbing is to allow heat dissipation.

Diagram 2 shows to take the white plastic fitting ring off but we need to keep that on 964's (and Carrera 3.2's etc.) to position and fit into the holding clips with our H4 setup. To be honest you don't need the rest of the diagrams either, it's self explanatory just plug them in.

These are the LED sidelight bulbs.

The proof of the pudding, despite being on a sunny summer's afternoon.

Sidelight only.

Headlight dipped.

Main beam.

I can't wait until it gets dark :grin:

And this from the following post with night shots.

Some night photos of the R3's for anyone who may be considering this upgrade, all I can say is the photos speak for themselves but do yourselves a favour if you do any night driving at all, be safe and join the illuminati As I said previously, for a little under £100 this could be the best upgrade ever.

These lights plug straight in, no cutting of, or adding wires, strapping things up, trying to make drivers or heat sink fans fit.

I have no affiliation with Woodypeck but I love it when things just work
Cheers for now,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 10-28-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: 964 headlights upgrade options at present