Sponsored by:

Function First Shift Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Function First Shift Install

I ordered the Function first gear shift **** and extended base on special that they offered recently. Nice set up and well done
I have a little taller gear shift lever so had to make a few adjustments. The install is covered on other post but I found a few things that may improve the install well at least for me it helped.
On fitting the leather cover on the Function First shaft it will help greatly if you soak ( in water ) the upper leather that fits around the base of the FF lever. This makes fitting it on the base a lot easier as it will stretch enough to allow a tight fit. As the leather dries it will form a tight fit and no cable ties will be necessary ( well at least not in my case).
To Function First - I would suggest that you raise the location of the lower allen screw so that it is not covered by the upper leather which makes access to the screw difficult once the shaft is installed on the shift lever and the leather is mounted in place ( see yellow arrow). If you want to raise or lower the gear shift **** assembly it is very difficult to do with the lower allen screw being covered. I ended up making a small hole in the leather to obtain access to the screw head. This may be because i had such a tight fit with the leather that I could not raise it from the bottom side once I installed. But I also needed to check the fitting location of the leather boot with the gear shift lever in position to make sure I had enough flexibility.
Other than these I am please with the new set up and it does feel very nice. One thing that does bug me a little and you can see in the picture is the fact that the new **** assembly is rather heavy looking, but once you get down to the transition point from new to the stock steel gear shift lever it look rather thin and small in comparison. While this may not be an issue mechanically, or for those with a better fitting leather cover, in my case it looks just a wee bit strange. Guess you can call me picky.
My 2 cents worth and I realize nobody asked for it -
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

The stick is so much closer to the wheel now. Very nice.
Also big thanks for the DIY feedback, lots of good suggestions.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 385 Posts

I just installed one of these FF gear shifters on my 993. Great product! There’s no need to cut a hole in the leather to access the bottom set screw. Simply tighten down the lower set screw BEFORE you pull the leather boot back down over the shaft.

One word of caution. It’s not mentioned in the directions, but use some loctite on the set screws! The shaft previously came loose on two occasions while tracking the car. Not fun. Loctite will prevent the set screws from vibrating loose.

Tighten lower set screw BEFORE pulling the boot back down over the shaft.

Great product
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Gus for posting this! (I'm the guy you sold a cat bypass years ago...)
I would like to change the shifter in my C4... my only problem is that i love the rothsport shifter so much, but it won't fit on the C4.
Thinking of going with the FD C4 short shift kit and then coupling it with this...
Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Friend of mine just obtained a C4 and we have been looking at short shift set ups for it. HAve even talked about designing our own shift set-up. Keep us posted on the route you take and how satisfied you are. I modified my old shifter to have a really short throw but have since changed to a CAE. Trick-
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

D'oh! Just seeing that this was originally posted in October. CAE shifter sounds perfect.
Will let you know. Should be going out to the next Porsche's and coffee. Will see if I have it done in time!

Quick Reply: Function First Shift Install