Sponsored by:

Front speakers replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Gmyres
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speakers replaced

Just replaced the door speakers on my daily driver. Originals were in very bad shape with the cones completely deteriorated. Was looking for speakers that would not require much in modifications. Purchased some Pioneer TS-G1345R due to about the only speaker that had detailed dimensions on outside of box. I was surprised that these fit perfectly without any modifications to car or speaker. Thought I share in case anyone else looking for same fix without chopping anything up. Probably better speakers available, but these sound better than the rags I was using and were very inexpensive.

Next, the rear units... Probably not going to be as lucky.

1990 C2 sunroof coupe
180,0000 mi
Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you leave the original tweeters hooked up?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

I used Polk 4x6 db461 speakers in the back and they fit fine, original covers needed some minor mods to fit over the speakers.

Also were you able to reuse the original speaker covers? Some of the 5.25in 2 way speakers I've seen look to have tweeter cones that stick up past the rest of the speaker and so you would have to use the cover that comes with the speakers, which usually look kind of cheesy. thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Gmyres
6th Gear

Haven't done anything but look at the tweeters with covers removed. Door tweeters weren't in as bad of shape... But being 27 years old, I am sure a replacement wouldn't hurt. Will probably be hard to find a suitable replacement, but sound is not distorted now, at least at volumes I listen to.

With the units I replaced, I was concerned about the height as well... The pioneers are little bit taller, the center being about 1/8" from grill when installed, but the moving parts are far away. The tall center of the speaker is fixed.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

For those that don't want to chop things up or who want the oem speakers to remain, you can simply refoam the speaker with a new surround. It's very easy to do...

They sound almost like brand new once that is done. Which is to say, they sound like absolute crap, as they were when new...lol...

#sonicallychallengedcockpit
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

That's why I gave up and did a radio delete. I never listen to it anyway and I probably save me 30 pounds
Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I found 6" speakers at Walmart that almost fit. A thin wooden spacer painted black provided just enough room to where the magnet was clear and the cone where it tapered down. They are all black so they look stock.

Quick Reply: Front speakers replaced