Tiptronic fluid check

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tiptronic fluid check

Probably a dumb question but I have looked for a thread on this forum and thru my owners manual trying to find if there is a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level. After looking all over the engine bay I found no sign of one. Is the only way to check the level is to go under the car? Occasionally when first starting out in automatic mode with a fresh started engine I feel a slight hesitation like it is searching gears. If I start in manual it feels normal. I plan on having the transmission fluid, screen change and valves adjusted sometime around march but want to make sure i am not low on fluid in the mean time.
Car has 65K miles and had transmission service done by to PO 7K mile ago.
Maybe a chip reset may help?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is correct there is no dipstick. You can do a quick check on the site glass at 20C. The instructions are in the owners manual. However you really should do it properly which means taking it to a facility with a Bosch hammer which reads the transmission temperature when hooked up to the control unit and then checking the level at 80C. The level in the sight glass changes with fluid temperature. One of the small complications of owning a tip.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed yesterday that it took about 3 seconds for the trans to engage into reverse when I started my car to pull it out of the garage.. Has me a tad concerned. Anyone suggest what these symptoms may be from? 58,000 mles, no clue to when the Tip was serviced (I purchased w/48,000 on it). Too cold here in NJ to have the top down so it will be a garage queen until December. In December it gets shipped directly to a capable Porsche shop in Florida for the 60M service, I will be sure they attend to it.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hesitation/slow in shifting can be caused by a number of things. Sometimes a simple DME/Tip rest will resolve it or it could be the filter screen is clogged. I did notice better responds, smoother, quicker shifting after I serviced my Tip.

Last edited by PC2; 10-27-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:02 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks PC2... Everything seems fine except when it's cold and shifting from Park into Reverse. Once it's moving it seems totally normal.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
douglass
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL is also a mystery for me. I just acquired a 85.5 Porsche 944, automatic transmission. The manual and Haynes say the level in the auto-transmission may be checked on the reservoir located in rear of the transmission. But I cannot locate the reservoir, behind, in front of or anywhere near the transmission. In rear of the transmission/differential there is only a battery box, which I assume is empty since my battery is in the engine compartment. If anyone can help me find the reservoir, and also recommend the best fluid change, and how to do that, I would be grateful. Douglass

Quick Reply: Tiptronic fluid check