Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:51 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul. I agree with the other's comments, the 964 should have no bouncyness when cornering, at any speed.

By the way, you were lucky it wasn't an undercover police car!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:19 AM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by DaveK
I agree - after my moment of madness I am happy with my 964 again. Apart from the fact that I'm sure it's started making a noise when I turn left.....

Anyway - Paul, my car is chipped by JZM although I'm not sure it has really made a lot of difference. But for your bouncy cornering, I think Christer is right - you probably need to take a look at your suspension. I've cornered at 150mph and the car is completely stable. I've even had a girlfriend in the car at high speed and even she has commented that it feels just like it does at 50mph. But - I do have a RUF suspension kit and can't remember if I tried 150mph cornering before that.
Dave, I agree my car has been lowered but with what I have no idea,I did read somewhere that knackered shocks can do this when the car has been lowered due to the fact that the shock still needs a fair amount of travel to soak up the bumps,I think a full suspension kit installed and set up properly is the answer.In a recent thread www.chipwizards.co.uk were recommended by a member claiming an increase of 30+bhp at the flywheel
with cat bypass, airflow kit and chip.
Paul
C2 cab
Old 10-23-2003, 06:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys,
Cornering any road car at 150 mph is going far beyond the limits. The normal tyres are just not up to this kind of driving. Our 964s are getting on in years, they are not at their peak as they were when new. Regardless of what suspension mods you have done etc this kind of driving is asking for trouble. Please do not let your ambitions overcome your capabilities or the capabilities of your Porsche. I hate going to funerals.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have MANY friends with BMWs...I always joke that they are for women or G__ men.

Rest assured, I'm just joking.

They are plush, but they can be damned fast too!

One of my buddy's has an E36 M3 LIGHTWEIGHT and it's tough work to hang with him - but he's not "untouchable".

SO, go cure your woes by holding your drink between your thighs (after all, we have NO cup holder) and throw some more oil absorbant on your garage floor...right about where the engine sits when parked and you'll be cured, think about it - you'll miss ALL of that!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:09 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

OK as an ex Bimmer owner. I've owned 4 to date:

*325is- fully modified 240hp (experienced rear subframe failure)
*95 M3 (US spec) Supercharged 365hp
*99 M coupe Supercharge 380hp (experienced rear subframe failure)
*M Roadster stock 240 hp

I almost bought the new M, but when I saw that most owners have dealt with engine failure which really bothered me. To that effect, the 3.2L I-6 is so high strung, that the car simply can not cope with any type of serious modifications without exploding. The older generation engines could at least handle Turbo or Superchargers without major hickups, but not the newest version.

I FEEL THAT BMWs ARE SIMPLY MARGINALY BUILT... Just enough to get by.
With a few mods, the cars were falling apart! 2 Subframe failures because they under built most of the cars!!

How will the M3 engine hold up in 5+years or so when the good old warranty is expired?

Besides, most BMW enthusiasts regard Porsches as the next step up.

My 13 year old Porsche makes a healthy 600 crand HP, and is as tight as can be. I don't think the Bavarian cars could do the same after that long...
Old 10-23-2003, 10:52 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The E46 M3 is straight on a quicker car, but is no where close to being as connected to the road or as fun to drive as the 964. The steering is numb and the driving experience is somewhat sterile. In the year and change that I had my M3 I went thru two cars (the first one was taken back by the dealer) and enjoyed the car but it became quickly superfluous after I got my RSA this spring. The ignition problems I had over the last several months clinched it for me and I traded it in for a "family sedan" 745i. I really do not miss it. I think the quality is on par with Porsche, but the driving experience is not even close. Dont sell your 964!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't want to be bandwagonesque, but I shared Adrian's thoughts when I read the dove post. Glad my wife and daughter weren't out driving that day.
There's a time and a place for one-fifty, IMO.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:40 PM
the 964 KID
Advanced

Hey Dave,

guess you already figured it all out, but I still wanna voice my opinion, which is: the M3 is still based on the 3 series platform, and, to many layman, looks very much like the typical lesser inspired 3 series sedan. A 911 will always have more charm and, perhaps, respect on the road, I think M3s are lovely cars, but I doubt this will ever change; BMW would have to build a totally separate platform to really compete with the mystique of a 911. No offense to the BMW owners out there! Every single time I get in my C4 I'm happy, no matter how bad of a day I have it - always makes me happy. And even when my car acts up and has to be serviced, as soon as its back on the road, all problems are forgotten. Not many cars can do that for you. I never owned an M3, but I can't imagine getting the same satisfaction out of one... guess i'm preaching to the choir at this point!

Ken.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:46 AM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny G
I don't want to be bandwagonesque, but I shared Adrian's thoughts when I read the dove post. Glad my wife and daughter weren't out driving that day.
There's a time and a place for one-fifty, IMO.
I found this post quite interesting,which made me think what speeds have rennlist members had out of their cars? didnt I see a pic of a member getting 170mph out of his car?I used to be a member of an Audi forum who's members were crazy,regular pics were posted of souped up Audis doing 300k+,but the fastest speed pic Ive seen on the net is a nutter on public roads taking a pic of his speedo at 210mph on a Suzuki Hyabusa!!

Paul
C2 cab
Old 10-25-2003, 06:16 AM
Cuppie
Racer

a) think what the Beemer will be like when it is as old as your car;
b) buy a 964RS...

;-)

Mel

Quick Reply: I need help!