Sponsored by:

Cold & Hot start problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Andy, please let me say this last comment to Adrian. Thanks.

Adrian

O.k. I accept the things you wrote, may be I have the reason for the disagreement between us.
I think it is the way I want to tell a story and help people with their problems. In my mind I know the things I want to do and check, but the English language is not a real big problem for me, but the humor, special stories and different meaning of things I do not understand sometimes.
Sorry! That means that some things said by me could seem sarcastic, but it is not ment that way, I try to make a joke then. Feel the point?

I will try in the future to study a story before I post it, may be it will work better that way and can I tell in words exactly what I think about a technical problem. I try to work on that.

So this means that I will stay on the board and try to forget what happened today. Please tell me if I don't understand a joke or other stories. May be it helps to learn faster.

So, for now I will make my appolegies for the "sarcastic" word choice and will go on to help Andy, as you may be also plan to do.

Adrian.......have a nice evening.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy,

The air intake temp sender in inside the air flow meter, the black/silver box which is connected to the air filter cover. [the one people drill holes in, see picture below]
When you remove the airfilter, you should have acces to it, and could see if it is dirty from oil residu. It is a little sensor, looks lile a very small sprinkler.

If it not works fine, you should see it on the hammer. All data from sensors should be seen displayed on the hammer.

I do not think that your ICV is not clean enough, look how strong the spring is, you have to push hard to move it and get a open spot where you can look thru.

So, for this topic I will stop giving info, I give the word to Adrian, he was first to give you help on this untill I showed up and messed up your topic. Sorry about that!

So I won't post on this one, unless you ask me personal. I think it's better for now.

I hope you will find the problem soon.

Greets from Holland!

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK! Thanks for the help guys. Guess you know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow morning then?!

For the archives - could an Oil overfill cause this then?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Adrian and Arjan, do you have any thoughts as to my particular problem where the engine cuts out periodically, while driving? This has happened while at highway speeds and while driving much slower. Do you think that this could be an intake related problem too. I also have warm start problems. Like the other, when this happens, if I wait a minute and try again, away she goes.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Syd,

Unplug your 02 sensor. There is a connector on the left side in the engine bay in the back. A faulty 02 sensor can cause strange things with a warm engine. When you unplug it, the DME takes a data between 100 and 1000 milivolts to let the engine run well. Normally the O2 sensor gives the DME a voltage that fluctuate between 100 MV and 1000 MV.

You can drive easely around with a unplugged O2 sensor for a unknown periode, no problem
For sure, the engine runs smoother then, but that's normal when you unplug the O2 sensor.

Note: If the problems you mention are over, It could be the O2 sensor who's is bad or a real possible item is that the O2 sensor does not have enough "ground" from the exhaust. It needs Ground or Mass [ 31 ]so you have to make a mass cable between the Catalytic converter and the body or engine. Main thing the mass connection between the those is good.

Give it a try, It will cost no money, just some investigation time.

Let us know the results.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Andy,
Yes an oil overfill is the main cause of contamination of the airlfow sensor assembly and the ISV. The 1989 and 1990 964s suffer more from this in the area of the ISV than the 1991 models and up. This is because the 1991 models and up have a muffler bypass system rather than an air intake bypass system for the excess air.

Dear Syd,
For your problem I would start with relay R41. Cutting out normally means fuel pump is being shut off. Warm start problems also suggest the fuel pump circuit so I would look at the relay first.
Rain is known to cause the O2 sensor (OEM non waterproof version) to short out and shut the engine down. This is different to the O2 sensor failing and being detected as a failure by the DME which will put you into limp home mode and activate the check engine light if fitted (US versions only). The O2 sensor failed or not plays no role in the start process at any time.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Syd,

Adrian is right, The relais can possible "stick" because of the high temp. in the relais.

We had the same problem back in the 90's with all our GM cars that had Motronic from Bosch, we had to replace all the DME relais then, they stuck inside and no hot starts where possible. After a few minutes cool down, it opened again, and starts where possible again. We even rebuild the relaisbox from the GM cars to a more cooler spot in the car. Problems where over with the new DME relais. Porsche uses the same Realais from Bosch.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen. I will let you know how I make out.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Cold & Hot start problems!