Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension opinions for track/street car

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004 | 06:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Joey:

I do have several clients with Motons on their street-track cars and if the spring packages are selected properly, its firm (like PSS-9's on their higher settings) but very streetable.

They will handle the street environment as long as its not truly brutal,.... (SUV's are better)

Bilsteins (sold in the US) carry their limited lifetime warranty, but Motons being race parts carry no such thing. That said, they stand 100% behind their products and will replace a defective shock without hesitation. Its a VERY customer-oriented company and that's why we are associated with them. Motons should be checked for gas pressure annually.

I would base the decision on what priority handling and performance is to you,....

LOL,...I'm pleased that the bars and brace worked well for you,....thats always the "Prime Mission" around here,.....
Old 01-17-2004 | 07:14 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Hey Joey, why do I get the impression that those Motons are on your mind?!?!

Have you test driven any car with them installed?

P.S. My Roock's are being installed this weekend!
Old 01-17-2004 | 08:54 PM
mnettles
AutoX

Hi Joey-

I had very minor rubbing on the driver's side on the inside. My car started life with rolled fenders so that wasn't a problem. The rubbing was resolved with a bit more negative camber but it's a close fit. Rubbing on the back was severe and was resolved with spacers.

mj

mj
Old 01-18-2004 | 12:30 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve and MJ!

Ruairidh,
You are correct. I've been considering the Motons but that's still a ways off. I usually take rides with Moton, JRZ, Pennske-equipped track cars on pool-table-smooth tracks so I have no idea how they perform in the real world. I had also heard about the warranty issue and was looking for confirmation that racing parts were viewed differently. But as Steve pointed out, that's not the complete story.

Make sure you guys and gal let us know how your upgrades go.
Old 01-18-2004 | 04:43 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by forklift
............but I am finally confident this is my decision after speaking w/ Steve and doing a search on Moton here. It is just a bit $ more than the 9s, but sounds like get much more than that $ difference....
Great choice, Jim. I have only heard great things about the Motons, and have seen their performance capabilities in 964's first hand. In addition, Steve W. is VERY well known for his expertise - plus he's a Northwesterner! You can't go wrong with his advice.

What spring rate are you going with?

I can't wait to hear your impressions!!!!!!!!

Erick
Old 01-18-2004 | 11:55 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Hi Erick,

Not sure on the spring rates, I will yield to Steve's and ASGs expertise.

I can't wait either, my first DE of the season is 3/19 (for the real test), but hopefully we can get this done in the next 2-3 weeks.

I will let you know (I am eager to find out!).

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-19-2004 | 02:03 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Joey,

Do you think you'll be club racing your car in the next year or two? If you do, you should consider a more aggressive shock set up.

I have the PSS-9's and love them. On the street, others have said that full soft is firmer than stock, but it doesn't feel that way to my butt. Full hard is pretty damn rough on surface streets.

But now that I've made the decision to go racing, I might perhaps be wishing I had the Motons or something like them. Depending on how this year goes financially and depending on how I do with the racing, there's a good chance I'll sell my PSS-9's and get a set of JRZ's or Motons to run in D stock. If I'm placing well, I'll leave well enough alone. But if I'm the only 993 in the field with PSS-9's and am driving every corner on the ragged edge just to keep up, I may change my set up.
Old 01-19-2004 | 06:05 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mark, for the suggestion. I don't think I'll start racing just yet but when I do I'll probably end up with some remote-reservoir, double-adjustable shocks with spring rates >1,000 lbs/in. I still need a little more seat time, though, and I think the new setup will suit my needs for at least a couple years (famous last words ).
Old 01-19-2004 | 08:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Joey:

Just an application note here,....

Let the provider of any remote-reservior race shocks make the call for you on spring rates.

There are many variables here such as aero package, vehicle weight, tire size and type and most importantly, driver skills and experience.

The stiffer the spring rates, the more unforgiving the car is and since these are relatively cheap parts, its better to always start soft, until you get used to the newfound handling,....
Old 01-20-2004 | 01:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
I still need a little more seat time, though, and I think the new setup will suit my needs for at least a couple years (famous last words ).
Joey,

Funny, that's what I said only eight months ago....

Good luck with whatever set up you choose.

Quick Reply: Suspension opinions for track/street car