Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do this engine holder mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone do this engine holder mod?

Not exactly a factory finish but practical. and provides access to the crank bolt without having to lower the motor and remove the engine holder. crank bolt torqued to 173 lb ft...
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Yikes.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Why would you ever??? There are 6 easy bolts to remove to pull the whole carrier. I wouldn't think that the huge crank holding tool would fit with the carrier in place. I'm hoping that an impact wrench wasn't also involved. The carrier is not known to be strong to begin with. Nothing good about this idea.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Yikes.
Double yikes. How do you get the pulley holder tool on?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Most people add metal to the carrier in the form of a gusset for reinforcement. I see no logical reason to do this.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Interesting.

Andreas
Old 05-27-2016, 01:48 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

thanks for the comments. perhaps a little impulsive. i dont have that pulley holder tool and torqued the bolt by holding the other end of the crank.

i found it very difficult to spin the crank while trying to index the distributor so chopped the hole. i may not keep this engine holder long term and may be looking to purchase the rennline or other. also need new pillows...

what about when checking valve clearances? do you lower the motor to get access to spin crank or is there a special tool also?
Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No need to lower the engine for to check the valve clearances.

You use the alternator shaft to turn the engine. Should have the tool in your tool kit. It's a 12 point (3 - square) allen wrench.

Good info here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...tool-list.html

I'd really think about reinforcing that carrier since you put a hole in it, if you haven't already done so. It's a known weak part.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
peter_jansen
Instructor

^

Especially if adding stiffer mounts.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:22 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my...
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, here are my observations.

Yes the carrier is a weak spot, but not where you have cut the hole. The weak spot is at either end of the carrier where the sheet metal is welded to the round tabs that bolt to the engine mounts. If you had drilled a hole rather than cutting in the manner you did it would have been better. You have introduced stress points where you have cut the hole, (extended the cut past the hole) if you are keeping the bar then i would address them, if replacing don't worry.

You should never torque the pulley bolt by holding the flywheel end of the crank, always use the pulley holder. You run the risk of tweaking the crank shaft, which can cause a myriad of issues including catastrophic failure....
Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 PM
vt10vt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by trophy
You should never torque the pulley bolt by holding the flywheel end of the crank, always use the pulley holder. You run the risk of tweaking the crank shaft, which can cause a myriad of issues including catastrophic failure....
I torque Audi (400ft/lbs) and VW (200ft/lbs) by sticking a block of wood between one of the rod ends and block every time. Never causes a problem. The crank deals with a LOT more stress getting beat on than torquing the crank bolt induces.

To the OP- That maybe isn't ideal but I don't see it ever being an issue. I've seen a lot of failed engine carriers but never in the center. I think the loss of strength is negligable, but maybe gusset/reinforce it next time you have it out just to be safe.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

A Texas fix on a Toronto car. Go figure.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vt10vt
I torque Audi (400ft/lbs) and VW (200ft/lbs) by sticking a block of wood between one of the rod ends and block every time. Never causes a problem. The crank deals with a LOT more stress getting beat on than torquing the crank bolt induces.
I can't comment on twisting a crankshaft but I know the reason PAG introduced the pulley holding tool was;

Originally Posted by Porsche Pulley Holding Tool TSB
Torquing of the Crankshaft Pulley
March 19, 1985

When removing the crankshaft pulley or loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt it is possible that the hole for the locating pin in the pulley may get damaged. Reinstallation of the damaged part with an elongated hole could cause the valve/ignition timing to be maladjusted. To avoid this, inspect pulley for elongated hole. If damaged, replace.

A new pulley, part number 930.102.024.03, has been introduced with two bores. A pulley holder, tool number 9236 is now available to aid in easier removal and preventing the possibility of damage.

Originally Posted by trophy
The weak spot is at either end of the carrier where the sheet metal is welded to the round tabs that bolt to the engine mounts.
The one thing I've always been curious about is how much front-to-back twisting motion is imparted on the engine carrier where it attaches to the mounts? Whenever we see a failed engine carrier it looks more like the problem was initiated by the improper removal/install of the mounting nut.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

thanks for the comments and proves there are rednecks in Canada also!! and going to be more with President Trump (Doh!!) Okay. Off Topic.

i'll look into the pulley tool and i cannot spin the motor with the 12 point (triple square). engine is too tight to spin it from the belts... perhaps where my timing issues originate..... which i am going to address this weekend.

Quick Reply: Anyone do this engine holder mod?