Sponsored by:

Heal and toe and 1 2 3...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heal and toe and 1 2 3...

As you know the 964 is a sporty car to drive. Even more so once you get the engine and suspension sorted. I'm loving driving the car, but I'm frustrated with my inability to heal and toe. Never been able to do it. I've got long, narrow, feet (13A). I literally can't heal and toe as my foot is too long. I can't roll my foot as it doesn't reliably hit the gas pedal if I have enough foot on the brake to feel secure. I think some combo of pedal adjustment or pedal replacement or shoe might work. But before I start trial and error, I was wondering if someone here is in the same situation and what you suggest might work for me.

Thanks for the help,

Dan
Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rennline adjustable pedal

http://www.rennline.com/Pedals-Fully.../products/279/
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

^ what he said
Old 04-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This is one of the easier cars to heel toe. My g body is impossible without a pedal mod.

With a size 13 you can't get to the gas? Ball of foot on brake, twist to grab the gas for me it's right lower side of my foot.

Some pics might help. Maybe you can get by with some heel toe extensions. I'll be adding those to mine to just make placement better for me.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Thanks for replies. With the ball of foot on brake my heel hits the floorboard. So I have to roll foot to blip throttle. The adjustable peddle linked above looks like the ticket especially with height and side to side adjustments.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 04-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Hargett' adjustable pedal would have been perfect for you. We are thinking to ask them to do a short run. See jmtama's thread about the adjustable pedal....

I'm figuring if we had enough people, they may help us out? That was and is still the best pedal I have used. I've had it in my car for 5 years.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Thanks for replies. With the ball of foot on brake my heel hits the floorboard. So I have to roll foot to blip throttle. The adjustable peddle linked above looks like the ticket especially with height and side to side adjustments.

Thanks again,

Dan
That was my problem. Or I would try putting my foot so high up on the brake pedal. Either way wasn't working and I've never had a problem heel toeing in any car. So Rennline pedals fixed it easy.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Made myself a custom throttle pedal extension and shaped to suit my foot size and the shoes/trainers I would normally wear. Easy enough to do; some marine ply of thickness that brings the throttle pedal height to that of brake pedal height then cut a pedal shape that takes it closer to the brake pedal. Couple of countersunk set screws, quick seal and paint, job done. Now I can just roll my foot on to the throttle easily enough.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also made my own. I just used spacers and tapped some holes into my pedal cover. Brought it out about 3/4".

I like Rob's idea about a Hargett one. The Porsche pedal is so cheap. I'm just waiting for that plastic to snap.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:37 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
I'm just waiting for that plastic to snap.
Likewise. Amazed that little plastic fold is all that keeps it going. Waiting for it one day to crack then come away. Have a couple of other pedals as spares
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Thanks for pointer to Hargett pedal. It looks sturdy. I notice the rennline pedal rev 2 has a built in spring return. This seems to be a good feature which the Hargett lacks. Plus you can get the rennline pedal extensions in black so the 'ears' aren't so obvious. I will need to roll to actuate so being able to adjust the ear placement would be valuable as well. I suppose I could even leave off the lower piece.

I can't say for sure I'd go with Hargett pedal if they made another run, so I hesitate to commit.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing to think about are shoes, heel and toe is a lot easier in a pair of converse than any running shoe etc! Dont be tempted straight away by race shoes, i got a pair of piloti's and while i can use them ok now they set me back a way due to stiff soles and a lack of pedal feel. Seat position helps also. I find it easier in my 964 with the seat very close and knees up high, i find it much easier to keep my feet hovering over the pedals especially with them being floor hinged. Practise is the next thing. I remember kaib once said every drive is a chance to practice, even if your just going to the shops. Ive done it none stop ever since reading that, its harder in the girlfriends fiat 500!

Quick Reply: Heal and toe and 1 2 3...