964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:02 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car

Hi All,

I went to see and drive a few air cooled's today. I wanted to drive a 993 and 964. I had heard from more knowledgable people than me, that the 964 would win me over once I drove one. Well, it did. I drove the below car and a 993 C4S and the 964 was, for me at least, a much more enjoyable experience. The noise (it has after market exhaust on), the steering, the power in the later rev range....even the smell.

Details -
The car is a driver, but seems in good condition. It's a C4 with 63k on the clock. Total and thorough service history mostly from Porsche dealerships. Car fax is extremely detailed and seems solid.

The obvious bad -
Once parked after the drive there was a little oil leaking back left of the car. I should also add that there were many warning lights on, including the seatbelt light, even though both seats were plugged in. The guy tells me that they will check it thoroughly, but may be a simple electronic issue (he would say that of course). Bumper needs a repaint.

They are asking 58 - I think I can get it for around 55. I will obviously have an independent PPI performed.

Thoughts on price or any concerns from the pictures would be very much appreciated. I need to let the guy know on Monday if I want to move forward with a PPI.

Thanks guys

Old 04-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Too much for a C4....

Even strong money for a very well sorted C2 coupe.

Continue your search
Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! You can have my C4 with fresh rebuild for $35k. It is a convertible with a hardtop though.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

So, price seems like an issue. Hegarty seems a bit off for these cars. Any thoughts on where the price should be? Especially considering the addition of sales tax.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Too strong. If bumper was sorted, no leaks, and no lights he's still a bit high. But for newly 60 for a c4 I feel it needs to be fully sorted.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Too strong. If bumper was sorted, no leaks, and no lights he's still a bit high. But for newly 60 for a c4 I feel it needs to be fully sorted.
I agree. Pretty car though.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And C4's are the best.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:47 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
Hi All, I went to see and drive a few air cooled's today. I wanted to drive a 993 and 964. I had heard from more knowledgable people than me, that the 964 would win me over once I drove one. Well, it did. I drove the below car and a 993 C4S and the 964 was, for me at least, a much more enjoyable experience. The noise (it has after market exhaust on), the steering, the power in the later rev range....even the smell. Details - The car is a driver, but seems in good condition. It's a C4 with 63k on the clock. Total and thorough service history mostly from Porsche dealerships. Car fax is extremely detailed and seems solid. The obvious bad - Once parked after the drive there was a little oil leaking back left of the car. I should also add that there were many warning lights on, including the seatbelt light, even though both seats were plugged in. The guy tells me that they will check it thoroughly, but may be a simple electronic issue (he would say that of course). Bumper needs a repaint. They are asking 58 - I think I can get it for around 55. I will obviously have an independent PPI performed. Thoughts on price or any concerns from the pictures would be very much appreciated. I need to let the guy know on Monday if I want to move forward with a PPI. Thanks guys
Way too much money.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:53 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Guys - Checking the comps on line, the car certainly seems overpriced, but doesn't seem a million miles off. I'm seeing 90k mile cars asking $45/50k? - This has KW suspension and aftermarket exhaust of some kind....dont know if thats good or bad, but worth mentioning.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
Guys - Checking the comps on line, the car certainly seems overpriced, but doesn't seem a million miles off. I'm seeing 90k mile cars asking $45/50k? - This has KW suspension and aftermarket exhaust of some kind....dont know if thats good or bad, but worth mentioning.
You said it left some oil just after driving it? I'd be worried about that. Plus all the warning lights? Too many unknowns without a thorough PPI.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:59 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

/\ Exactly my thoughts. It will get properly PPI'd. Don't mind if those things are easily fixed, but would be worried they were signs of something bigger. I know this is a 25 year old car, so it certainly isn't perfect, but I need it to be solid mechanically.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Needs a ppi for sure especially with the dash all lit up.
Red c4... Seems like he's asking all the money.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:05 PM
-Teme-
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd want genuine Cups, too. Not the aftermarket copies that are on the car in the pics.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:09 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

/\ I think they are genuine wheels. Center disks/crest were black but have faded. What make you think they are not genuine?
Old 04-09-2016, 05:09 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it has a decat pipe fitted but made to look like CAT still is in place ? That would make it sound different from stock and also make a few lights come on dash if not done correctly!
Prices are on the up however, more so in dealers hands rather then private. Oil leak sounds like timing chain cover seals or rear seal which means timing chains will have to be reset as they will need to be moved to access rear main seal.

Quick Reply: 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car