Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi dlb, I was in the same boat not too long ago. I know there is an urge to pull the trigger because of the rising price and competitive market, but you HAVE to be patient. From my buying experience this year, I would stay away from dealers. If you insist on a dealer's car due to convenience, PLEASE do a PPI at a reputable place.

With that said, I think this car is overpriced. It's probably worth ~$45k if you REALLY want it. But you won't know what you're up against until you get it inspected.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aceking4u
Hi dlb, I was in the same boat not too long ago. I know there is an urge to pull the trigger because of the rising price and competitive market, but you HAVE to be patient. From my buying experience this year, I would stay away from dealers. If you insist on a dealer's car due to convenience, PLEASE do a PPI at a reputable place.

With that said, I think this car is overpriced. It's probably worth ~$45k if you REALLY want it. But you won't know what you're up against until you get it inspected.
You have basically expressed what my research and input from this forum has helped me define this weekend. I'm keen to stay private seller. If they are willing to drop significantly then this car would go back into consideration, but as flippers I suspect they won't be, and i'll walk.

I have developed some patience, which is not usually my strong suite! Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlb
You have basically expressed what my research and input from this forum has helped me define this weekend. I'm keen to stay private seller. If they are willing to drop significantly then this car would go back into consideration, but as flippers I suspect they won't be, and i'll walk.

I have developed some patience, which is not usually my strong suite! Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.
One final note. It also doesn't have genuine wheels on it. That to me is an issue for sure.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlb

I can relate and that's why I was able to put it in those words. Because I know the pain all too well. Especially from failed PPIs...one involving me flying down to see the car in person. Patience is not my best virtue either and if you do have that kind of money 50K+ for a C4, I would also consider a few reputable dealers including:

Holt Motorsport (Pennsylvania) - none available for now.
Parkhaus1 (Florida) - none available for now.

Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aceking4u
I can relate and that's why I was able to put it in those words. Because I know the pain all too well. Especially from failed PPIs...one involving me flying down to see the car in person. Patience is not my best virtue either and if you do have that kind of money 50K+ for a C4, I would also consider a few reputable dealers including:

Holt Motorsport (Pennsylvania) - none available for now.
Parkhaus1 (Florida) - none available for now.

Good Luck.
Thanks, man.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
One final note. It also doesn't have genuine wheels on it. That to me is an issue for sure.
That would not worry me the least bit, as long as the rest of the car is in good shape. If you do a check on this forum to see how many of the cars on here, still have the "genuine" wheels on, I think you will be very surprised.
My car came with the Mille Miglia replicas, and in my mind is a better fitting wheel than the Porsche wheels. The fronts are 1/2" wider with 3mm less ET, and the rears have 8 mm less ET.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Keep on searching and hit all the usual sites multiple times a day.
Btw, you won't find any coupes from Tim H. for under 70 large nowadays.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd wait for the market to cool over the summer and get more aggressive this fall/winter. If we happen to dip into a recession in late 2016/2017, cash is very powerful and could be a great buying opportunity as it will be a buyers market.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:54 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
I'd wait for the market to cool over the summer and get more aggressive this fall/winter. If we happen to dip into a recession in late 2016/2017, cash is very powerful and could be a great buying opportunity as it will be a buyers market.
Looks like we are searching for a similar car mate....let's try not to drive these prices up!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:59 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Don't worry, I'm not desperate. Knowing these cars were worth 50% of what they're going for today just two years ago, if we hit a recession the demand will change very quick. Most people buying these cars are not millionaires but rather middle class people that are financially stable, but if a recession hits then things change quickly. Its like chasing a stock, if it gets out of control, wait for a dip to buy. Too many people are trying to polish a turd and assume it will yield top dollar on the open market if they need to sell.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Don't worry, I'm not desperate. Knowing these cars were worth 50% of what they're going for today just two years ago, if we hit a recession the demand will change very quick. Most people buying these cars are not millionaires but rather middle class people that are financially stable, but if a recession hits then things change quickly. Its like chasing a stock, if it gets out of control, wait for a dip to buy. Too many people are trying to polish a turd and assume it will yield top dollar on the open market if they need to sell.
I'm with ya man. I let the dealer of this car know today that I wouldn't pay anywhere near their price. Let some other mug take the hit. As Mr Carini says ' the thrill is in the chase'. On we go.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer though, they're the ones trying to take advantage of the current buzz. I wonder where these dealer get their cars, why would an enthusiast sell a car to a mom and pop dealer? Most enthusiasts would rather sell their car to another enthusiast at a fair price and make it a smooth transaction. If the owner wasn't an enthusiast, the car probably hasn't been treated that well over the past ~25 years, that being said they were lazy and sold it off to an dealer.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This is true but there is also something to be said about convenience. My last 10 or so car sales have been 2 private party, 8 dealers. Why? Dealers pay fast and don't ask a lot of questions :-) There is some value in that, if the price is right. In fact, one car I sold a dealer offered more than ANY private party offered over almost 30 days of marketing the car. And offered me what I wanted out of it. My buddy just sold a car, posted it here for a VERY fair price, guess what? Dealer offered him asking, mailed check next day, truck pickup the car day after.

Also, some of these dealers do consign work too...
Old 04-11-2016, 06:34 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This is true but there is also something to be said about convenience. My last 10 or so car sales have been 2 private party, 8 dealers. Why? Dealers pay fast and don't ask a lot of questions :-) There is some value in that, if the price is right. In fact, one car I sold a dealer offered more than ANY private party offered over almost 30 days of marketing the car. And offered me what I wanted out of it. My buddy just sold a car, posted it here for a VERY fair price, guess what? Dealer offered him asking, mailed check next day, truck pickup the car day after.

Also, some of these dealers do consign work too...
I should add to this. The guys at the dealer I was talking with (Lux Sport) got a lot of stick on this forum. I found them to be decent guys, and honestly the car was solid. At least at first inspection. It was just priced to highly, and I think I have educated my self with the help of the inter webs to such a point that I knew I could do better for a little less. Not a lot less, but a little less. And with two kids I have to be fiscally responsible. Hoping something great shows up, as I would like a car for when spring really starts in NYC.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer though, they're the ones trying to take advantage of the current buzz.
Right; I've never seen an enthusiast overprice a car he/she is selling

Quick Reply: 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car