speakers !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 AM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a mail back from rob birch
he recommends 2x8" image dynanics ID8 subs
and Focal Polykevlar components.

i got a spare mcintosh cd player and amp knocking about , so i want to save some money and use these , i just gotta find out if the amp is gonna be good enough to run the full system ( 2x50w + 1x100w )

otherwise i'll have to get another amp for the subs
Old 10-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

See if he will upgrade your tweeters from TN45 to TN 51. I also like the K2 better than the K as far as woofer is concerned. I have a pair of 165 K2s, but the CDT High Defintion system cost the same and sounds better and is more efficient (louder at same wattage). 50 watts would be cutting it close in a loud car especially if you have a convertible so efficiency would be a good thing. Also, for the same price of an IDQ you could get a decent Adire sub or elemental design sub.

Amp wise, McIntosh amps are regulated and remain at rated power whether 2 ohm 4 ohm or 8 ohm. 100 watts per sub may be a little shy for image dynamic subs that are not very efficient. You could get more efficient subs (JL 8w0) that will almost acheive Xmax at or around 100 watts. I would use at least 400 watts to drive an IDQ and have run one off an 800 watt Orion amp without problems. If on a budget check out Cadence or JBL monos for the subs.

The polykevlar and IDQ will not sound bad and will sound sweet if your used to stock, but you can do better for the same $$$.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:04 AM
ian c - u.k

thanks doug
have you got a model number for the cdt's , website , retailer that will ship to uk ??
likewise for adire and elemental design sub ???

if i use this mcintosh amp as just a stereo , i can get 2x100
then i can use the 300w mcintosh mono amp i have for the subs ........... but this is reserved for my golf ................ and theres not much amp space in the cab anyway !!!
hence the reason for just the 1 amp to do everything
Old 10-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Not sure, but I believe CDT is made in England. Been a while since I have been looking to buy new subs. Last year, ID, ED, DD (Digital Designs) and Adire were the rave in subs. All four were small companies and ID was having all sorts of delivery issues with the ID Max.

You could order DD, ED and Adire directly from the manufacturers and I believe ampman.com used to sell the good stuff like Brax, Rainbow ($ 4,000 components!), Simphoni, Adire, ED and etc. Check there.

These are the pimp daddies and they make the 2nd best 6.5 inch driver (behind Dynaudio) and it is inly like $ 90.00 a speaker. People were buying them with delivery dates 3 and 5 months out do to demand.

http://www.ddaudio.com

Here are a few more sites that may help.

http://www.meisearch.com/directory/M...rs/index3.html
http://www.edesignaudio.com/products.htm
Old 10-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Here is Adire audio.

http://www.adireaudio.com/
Old 02-24-2004, 06:18 PM
ian c - u.k

hey , hey , hey !!!

UPDATE :

i no longer need the rockford head-unit doug !!
it hasnt arrived yet , so i dont know what customs are gonna charge . but i can sell it in uk to get the money back .

i got a denon z1

so now i got denon z1 to play da toons
mcintosh 420m 2x100w into cdt carbon-fibre 6.5" comp set
mcintosh 431m 1x500w into ....................

........... don't know !!
still need a sub .

will place in removable small box behind passenger seat .

12" IDMAX running 2ohm has been recommended ,
sound good to you ??
Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 PM
jonesey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ian...I went with Boston Acoustics all around and kept the original look to the interior. I think for the money, BAs are the best speaker money can buy. ADS are also very good.

Speaker and crossover installation is very easy. I pulled some Infinity from the car when I bought it and the difference in sound is very noticable.

That's my recommendation

Chris
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Yikes. No head unit yet. I did send mail this time as Fed Ex was pretty pricey last time. I had no idea it would be this slow. Well work something out. Glad you got what you really wanted in the first place.

ID Max is defintiely one of the best. The other hot sub right now if the JL 12W6v2. It only runs about $ 350 retail and CA&E recently tested and said it was the best SQ sub they had ever tested and they had previously tested the W7 and the ID Max. I have both an ID Max and a W7, as well as an Eclipse Titanium and a Diamond Audio H6 Titanium. The W7 and the ID Max are the best two I have heard, but I have not heard the 12W6v2. I was going to install one in my red car, but the mounting depth of it was too deep for my box so I put the Diamond in there. Next sub I buy will be the v2 though.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:16 AM
ian c - u.k

doug
the problem i have is with the size of the box ....... its gonna have to be small to go where i want it .

diamond m6 ?
and that jl sub have also been mentioned , but apparently the idmax will work best in the smaller box ????

been to a uk car audio forum to have a look , and lots of people sem impresssed with the idmax , just wondering if there is anything better on your side thats not available over here .

BTW : there is a guy on that forum that has just chipped his vw turbo-deisel ........... says its as fast as a carrera !!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:11 PM
90C2_Cab
Advanced

The Rockford Fosgate FRC4306 6.5" front and the Rockford 5" HPC1205 rear, both 2-way speakers were my choice. Driven by a clarion 52w x 4 cd stereo and it ROCKS! Since it's a cab I was limited to the smaller set in the rear due to space considerations. some mods to the door panels were also required but the finished product is outstanding.

--Eric
Old 02-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I have an ID Max and love it. A very muscial subwoofer. I also have a W7 and Eclipse Titanium and all 3 are very musical and great choices.

The issue that made me go with the Diamond in my 964 was a depth issue. There are not many high quality subs that are less than 7 inches deep or whatever the depth of this sub is. The ID Max required a spacer to fit depth wise. The spacer, however, moved the cone further way from the box and close to the seat backs as my sub box fires down. With the spacer, the sub would hit the seat backs at full excursion which causes bad problems in sound quality.

Box size, both the Diamond and the ID Max will sound fine in small boxes. I think my 964 box is 1.25 cubic feet. You can get away with an even smaller box with the Diamond because the sub is about an inch shorter and the box does not have to be as deep.

Personally, I would consider going with the 12W6v2 in a small box. It is between the ID Max and the Diamond in mounting depth requirements, requires less power to acheive Xmax, cheaper, and is newer technology than the ID Max. CA&E magazine performs both subjective testing and uses very expensive gear to test both distortion, frequency response and other objective specifications. CA&E said the 12W6v2 was the best sounding sub they had tested both subjectively and objectively and they had previously tested both the W7 and the ID Max. They all are great subs though and you cannot go wrong with any of these choices.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I have recently done a rather extensive comparison and I choose Genesis speakers and amp made in the U. K.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:46 PM
69COU
Racer

Default July/August 1992 911 & Porche World

This had a bit on a chaps install who put his subs in the boot.
Apparantly this worked at low level bass will travel through into car.

Now if this was taken a small step further and you set up a box with sub and amp perhap this is the ideal take in/out solution.

Thinking along the lines of something like this but also having AMP enclosure fitted to box so that you could do simple plug in and out.

Cheers

Quick Reply: speakers !!!