Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSX is gone, C4 is here....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003 | 03:52 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Default NSX is gone, C4 is here....

Hello Everyone, I am new to Rennlist. I have recently sold my 1991 Acura NSX and purchased a 1990 964 C4 Targa. ( It's great to be in a Porsche again ) You have a very useful, informative forum. Regards, Brady
Old 10-08-2003 | 04:41 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Welcome!
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:25 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Welcome Brady,

How are you finding the C4? how does it compare with the NSX?

Ade
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:32 AM
eddychan
Racer

Hi!

I spent my summer in Calgary ( was driving a hired Camry) and honestly I did not see a single 964, however I did manage to find one in Edmonton. Correct me if I am wrong, 964 is a rare sight in Canada.
Welcome and wish you have a very enjoyable motoring!

Cheers!

Eddie
91 C-2 Tiptronics
Old 10-08-2003 | 08:09 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Welcome

ALEX
Old 10-08-2003 | 10:26 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome! I've actually been to your fair city on my way to a camping trip in Banff ... truly glorious!
Old 10-08-2003 | 10:35 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Nice to hear that someone made the "right" switch.

Recently, a good friend of mine sold his well-prepared 944T and bought an NSX - he loves it, but I don't understand it...guess I'm a "Porscheholic".

It is a fairly rare, and beautiful Brooklyn Green version though - pretty cool.
Old 10-08-2003 | 11:08 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Brady,

Welcome aboard!

I've always liked the NSX. Seriously considered purchasing one when I bought my C2 back in '92. Among other reasons, I wanted a topless car, so chose the P-car.

I would be curious to hear how expensive your NSX was to maintain. I still consider purchasing an NSX from time to time, but don't care to have a second expensive-to-maintain car in the family. I understand that body work is expensive is on an NSX, but have heard mixed reviews on its maintenance cost.
Old 10-08-2003 | 11:18 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Welcome from the Netherlands also!

Have fun with your great car!
Old 10-08-2003 | 11:24 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Welcome! I've actually been to your fair city on my way to a camping trip in Banff ... truly glorious!
Is that the hotel used in the Kubrick movie 'The Shining' ? looks just like it .

Welcome Brady.
Old 10-08-2003 | 01:37 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

WELCOME!!!
Old 10-08-2003 | 02:06 PM
91C2wrencher
Racer

Welcome, Eh? Glad to see you've come to your senses........
Old 10-08-2003 | 03:04 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I love Porsche owners, very few manufacturers have such an enthusiast following, perhaps Ferrari would be the only other to rival us. To answer a few questions. The NSX is a great car, slightly quicker than the C4, but truely superior in the handling department. The NSX is almost too good in my opinion, it never seemed to WOW me, it certainly wows the teenage boys as they always seemed to swarm around the car when I would take it out. It's still amazing how many people do not know what it is, or even know who Acura is for that matter ?? The 911 is so steeped in mystique and is probably the most recognized sports car on the planet, that is the allure to me, the sound, the feel, the quirks ( yes there are some ) the way the car communicates with it's driver. The NSX admittedly lacked alot of these traits. The Japanese seem to overly refine their cars. ( not always a bad thing ) Having said all that, I really enjoyed my time with the NSX, but will never have regrets selling it to purchase a 911. The NSX is fairly inexpensive to maintain. ( compared to a Porsche ) I replaced the T-belt, Aux. belts and waterpump for example in July and it cost $1400 CDN. Do the same thing on a 944,928,968 or a Ferrari and it can get ugly. Body panels are ridiculously expensive as the whole car is virtually aluminum. Some of the early cars had a snapring problem in the transmission, where the snapring would fail and a rebuild would be in order ($7000-$9000 US). Fortunately, my car was not in the snapring range and I would never purchase an NSX in the snapring range, unless the owner had it properly fixed. Honda does build the best gearboxes on the planet though. It is well known that Gordon Murry used the NSX gearbox as his benchmark for shifter quality and feel when designing the Mclaren F1. The NSX badly needs an overhaul, I would never consider buying a new one, had I the funds, as the new GT3 is similarily priced and would humiliate the NSX in all accounts. You gotta love an 8200 RPM redline in a Porsche !! and torque to boot. The Banff Springs Hotel was not used in the filming of "The Shining". It is heavily reputed to be haunted however. It is a beautiful Hotel !! Many a Celebrity has stayed there. There are not to many 964's in Calgary, I do see them and I know there are some in the Porsche club. We have a couple 964 Speedsters here as well ( Black and Speed yellow ). I look forward to getting to know you all. Best Regards, Brady
Old 10-08-2003 | 03:10 PM
delhi
Racer

Welcome!
I had a chance to drive a 90 or 91 NSX not too long ago in autoX. It's very easy to drive contrary to it's supercar status. It's a Honda afterall. Not a bad thing cus supercar needn't be a difficult car to handle right? That time I can't compare it to a 964. But now I can. I say the steering is a touch lighter than a C4. Great cars IMHO. the owner told me that his NSX is very reliable and gave him very very little problem. I can't tell which one is faster afterall it's on a slow autoX course and it's not my car. But remember how sweet that vtec engine is. No rice there.
Old 10-08-2003 | 03:23 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Greg_L
Is that the hotel used in the Kubrick movie 'The Shining' ? looks just like it .

Welcome Brady.
Greg,

I think the Hotel used in the Shining was The Stanley Hotel in Colorado.

Quick Reply: NSX is gone, C4 is here....