Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ruf 964 SCR! Watercooled, PCCB and LWB option

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, with the proper mounting hardware both to the window frame and to the back.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
In other words, safer than other well known tuner cars?
Robert, RUF is a by all rights a Manufacturer and not a tuner. So they must meet certain safety standards.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Perhaps that explains why firms such as Singer can remove the airbags from 964s and not replace them.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:50 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Ruf is only a manufacturer when they don't use Porsche serialized (VIN'd) chassis. I believe in this case they are a tuner.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to remove airbags if the car was originally equipped with them. Perhaps it's different from state to state. I know it's illegal in Canada. If you get in an accident your insurance could be nullified.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
I think Ruf is only a manufacturer when they don't use Porsche serialized (VIN'd) chassis. I believe in this case they are a tuner.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to remove airbags if the car was originally equipped with them. Perhaps it's different from state to state. I know it's illegal in Canada. If you get in an accident your insurance could be nullified.
No they are and will always be a manufacturer. With that said they will modify your Porsche with one of their conversions. So yes, they will tune and modify the right Porsche....for a nice chunk of change.

Yes you are correct, each State has different laws but if I'm not mistaken airbags are a DOT(Federal) concern. When a car is sold without airbags(when originally equipped) it is usually deemed for off-road use only.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
No they are and will always be a manufacturer. With that said they will modify your Porsche with one of their conversions. So yes, they will tune and modify the right Porsche....for a nice chunk of change.

Yes you are correct, each State has different laws but if I'm not mistaken airbags are a DOT(Federal) concern. When a car is sold without airbags(when originally equipped) it is usually deemed for off-road use only.
For sure, but Ruf is only the manufacturer when they VIN the chassis. I'd be very surprised if they are reproducing the chassis or are able to order non-serialized chassis from Porsche. I don't think you can re-VIN a chassis. As a manufacturer in general, I guess it makes sense to adhere to safety requirements whether or not they are required.

Does the tuner in question remove all the airbags? Perhaps they are using '89s for the obvious builds that aren't equipped with airbags. Hmm
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I think, e.g., Singer uses what it can get and I suspect most cars had airbags.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM
AMGSiR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rufautomobiles.com/ruf-scr-4-2-ultimate/

Short article on the SCR 4.2 and Ultimate. SCR is based on 993 chassis, Ultimate is based on 964. I was also at RUF the week prior to Geneva, and with them at Geneva for setup and VIP/Press days.

Both cars are phenominal, in typical RUF fashion.

And we delivered the Fashion Grey 993 TurboR LTD to one of our local clients

Quick Reply: New Ruf 964 SCR! Watercooled, PCCB and LWB option