Sponsored by:

Original 964 in dash CD/Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 02:37 PM
L39E
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually there is a trim piece. The small grove out is all separate. Mixter's photo has it Ilko's does not.
Originally Posted by hamah
damn. Wonder how to find one of those?
@hamah were you ever able to find the trim piece for your CD-2? I just bought a 964 and it came with a CD-2 that is missing the trim piece.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2021, 10:18 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

EBAY has one that says “not OEM”. Looks correct. Might be worth checking it out. no affiliation.

The following users liked this post:
L39E (06-18-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any guinea pig takers on the Porsche PCCM with apple car play? i added carplay to my cayenne, and can't go back to not having it!

Porsche Classic Communication Management systems - Porsche AG

Old 12-31-2021, 01:14 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Revisiting an old thread...I plan on replacing my CD-2 with a CDR-220. I have the following questions:
  • The CD-2 has an Anti-Theft Wire. How do you remove the CD-2 without the alarm going off? Just unhook the battery?
  • I don't see a wire for the Anti-Theft on the CDR-220? Do you just leave that unconnected?
  • The CDR-220 has wires for Illumination and Speed (volume control). The CD-2 does not. Where can I look for these signals? I've heard the cruise wire for speed but not sure about Illumination?
Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:24 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
any guinea pig takers on the Porsche PCCM with apple car play? i added carplay to my cayenne, and can't go back to not having it!

There are TONS of threads about it here and on Pelican just do a search
Old 12-31-2021, 10:36 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HalV
Revisiting an old thread...I plan on replacing my CD-2 with a CDR-220. I have the following questions:
  • The CD-2 has an Anti-Theft Wire. How do you remove the CD-2 without the alarm going off? Just unhook the battery?
  • I don't see a wire for the Anti-Theft on the CDR-220? Do you just leave that unconnected?
  • The CDR-220 has wires for Illumination and Speed (volume control). The CD-2 does not. Where can I look for these signals? I've heard the cruise wire for speed but not sure about Illumination?
Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
After doing some research, I found the answers to the first two questions. The CD-2 anti-theft circuit uses a switch that is normally open. When the radio is removed, the circuit closes to ground and enables the alarm. Unfortunately, the CDR-220 uses a signal that is normally closed so the anti-theft wire cannot be attached to the anti-theft "spade" on the CDR-220 chassis. Given this information, I disconnected the battery before removing the CD-2 and cabling.

Any insight into the Illumination and Speed (volume control) question.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta

I was not interested in one of these as I haven't heard great reviews. Although I was generously gifted one as an Xmas present and now I have no choice but to install it. I am removing a very nice Nakamichi CD400 which had a great sound to it but in all honesty I listen to my car stereo about 2% of the time. I prefer to listen to the car when I drive these.

The PCCM is made in China along with all the accessories. It is not like any other system I installed before. They give you connectors but no harness and the (typical) worst instructions you could imagine.

Someone clipped the factory harness on my car years ago so it has taken some time to do this correctly. I have some very nice wire from Porsche and Bell labs back from the 50's. My Father-in-law designed some of the intercontinental wiring and touch tone phone and I have spools of special wire that will not corrode and his claims were was the best material for audio signal. Didn't matter just made the job easier since i had it. All connections were soldered using leaded solder. I am a Shindo fan and Ken Shindo insisted leaded solder was better . I also have half my car apart so it made the install easier but it is a PITA to do correctly. I had some JL speakers for the fronts and JBL for the rears but I am more interested in the Apple carplay and nav than music. Don't tell my wife but I would never have purchased this as I don't like the PCM in my Macan which is basically the same.

I should be done today with the install just need to connect power harness. I will report back with how it sounds and functions. BTW these do not come with the map Micro SD card so that will need to be purchased separately if I chose to.

BTW I am assuming the green coaxial type factory wire is the alarm wire? I have one with nothing attached to it and my alarm works perfectly otherwise.

They offer a second mic for the hands free but it is big and ugly and not sure where to put it. I don't want it messing up my clean dash I just reconditioned.

I do like that I could fit the USB box into the ashtray. I never use mine and it hides away when not needed. It was a bit of work to get the wires fed as I had to drill and modify some parts.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:50 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe mine is original? The alarm sounds if it is removed.

That USB port needs to be red or not illuminated...
Old 01-03-2022, 09:54 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I should be done today with the install just need to connect power harness. I will report back with how it sounds and functions. BTW these do not come with the map Micro SD card so that will need to be purchased separately if I chose to.

BTW I am assuming the green coaxial type factory wire is the alarm wire? I have one with nothing attached to it and my alarm works perfectly otherwise.
Anthony, you're right, the green wire is the alarm. Normal circuit is open and will Alarm will trip if grounded. As for the other wires in your pic, Brown=Ground, Red/Black=Switch power, White=Antenna Booster, Red=Permanent Voltage.

Last edited by HalV; 01-03-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Anthony, you're right, the green wire is the alarm. Normal circuit is open and will Alarm will trip if grounded. As for the other wires in your pic, Brown=Ground, Red/Black=Switch power, White=Antenna Booster, Red=Permanent Voltage.

Thanks. I was just curious how the green wire worked? So just by cutting it I am assuming it leaves an open circuit per the wiring diagrams. This is why my alarm is still functioning?

Maybe someone has an answer to this a well. After looking through the wiring diagrams and PET I see it was 93 and 94 they eliminated the crossover ( PET calls it a diplexer) and changed out the front woofer and tweeter. The earlier cars had either 1) a door speaker PN 91164543300 I am assuming RSA or something where no tweeter was supplied although I have yet to see a stock 964 coupe without the tweeter. 2) up to -92 Code M490 (vaguely norted as Sound System) woofer 91164541500 tweeter 91164541700 and diplexer 91164557500. or 3) 93- woofer 96464550300 and tweeter 96464550200 without DIplexer.

I always thought a diplexer was a coaxial splitter but I am assuming that it is what they call a crossover. My car is a 93 and had no diplexer but has both 964 woofer and tweeter part numbers. I swapped door cards to black from a 92 which has the diplexer. I don't have original speakers to compare so I am assuming they added some form of shunt or resistor to filter out low or high frequencies in the later 93 on cars eliminating the need for the crossover and that the M490 power amp was standard on the -93 cars? My car came stock with the CD-1 head unit. My amp and other components were removed before I purchased the car.

I finished the PCCM install yesterday and I have to admit it doesn't surprise me that it sounds poor compared to the Nakamichi it replaced. I am not all that concerned about the sound quality it is adequate for my needs and my exhaust will drown it out anyhow but would you eliminate the diplexer and just wire the speakers directly as they did in 93 on? I have 93 on tweeters someplace and that would allow the JL speaker to be a full range speaker vs just a woofer?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:30 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I was just curious how the green wire worked? So just by cutting it I am assuming it leaves an open circuit per the wiring diagrams. This is why my alarm is still functioning?
Correct, the alarm will trip if you "short" the green wire to ground. Note: Many other Porsche sound systems (eg. Becker) work the opposite. They connect the alarm wire to the chassis of the radio.
Maybe someone has an answer to this a well. After looking through the wiring diagrams and PET I see it was 93 and 94 they eliminated the crossover ( PET calls it a diplexer) and changed out the front woofer and tweeter. The earlier cars had either 1) a door speaker PN 91164543300 I am assuming RSA or something where no tweeter was supplied although I have yet to see a stock 964 coupe without the tweeter. 2) up to -92 Code M490 (vaguely norted as Sound System) woofer 91164541500 tweeter 91164541700 and diplexer 91164557500. or 3) 93- woofer 96464550300 and tweeter 96464550200 without DIplexer.
Porsche seems to be using Diplexer and Crossover synonymously. If you do a google search on 91164557500 you'll see something that looks like a crossover.

I finished the PCCM install yesterday and I have to admit it doesn't surprise me that it sounds poor compared to the Nakamichi it replaced. I am not all that concerned about the sound quality it is adequate for my needs and my exhaust will drown it out anyhow but would you eliminate the diplexer and just wire the speakers directly as they did in 93 on? I have 93 on tweeters someplace and that would allow the JL speaker to be a full range speaker vs just a woofer?
It's been a while since I replaced my M490 speakers with Infinity component speakers, so I don't remember what was in there. However, the wiring diagram in the service manual does show some sort of low pass filter before the tweeter. So, I would not wire the Porsche tweeters without one. That said, you'll may get better sound by just using the JL speakers in full range (assuming it has a tweeter).
The following users liked this post:
cobalt (01-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Original 964 in dash CD/Radio