Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy or Run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Make sure to PPI at an independent shop. Get it paint metered. Best of luck.

Last edited by Bloose993TT; 01-13-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:05 PM
porscheandy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With so many bad reviews why not just find one somewhere else. I'm sure their reputation is poor for a reason.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Guys, LuxSport is on Long Island. This dealer in in Oregon. Similar names, but not the same

And to the OP, goes without saying but agree on a price before going for a PPI...
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

It is from eastern Ontario.

They do get lots of snow and in the 90's would have used a lot of salt on the roads.

However, you do not know if it was even driven in the winter.

Sports seat are really nice to have. I think it also has the full leather dash.

Shift ****, carpets, peddles seem to confirm that it is not a high millage car.

Is the tool kit and compressor there? Is there full documentation?

Given that you may be paying at the top of the market you should expect it to come clean and complete.

Also as you are at the top of the market they surely would allow you the time to get a full PPI at an independent mechanic.

You may want to agree to a higher price but on the provision that the PPI is clean and if not negotiate down the price for needed repairs.

As I said in other posts if you want a really clean car you should expect to pay a lot more for it.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Wally-99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks All - I am proceeding with the PPI. I just need to pay for the ride to know more about the car.

Kind regards

Brian
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pretty ugly looking whack under there.
clutch and a possible reseal? etc.
pretty expensive. no?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
pretty ugly looking whack under there.
clutch and a possible reseal? etc.
pretty expensive. no?
how many 964 or 911 have you looked at That's not bad actually lol
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I absolutely love the description for it. "Stick shift! Red Hot!"
Definitely get a PPI done. It should help you negotiate a better price because that price is pretty high and only justified if perfect. If there are some issues you can always negotiate. Better safe than sorry.

Just for some fun here is the greatest car advert in history. This was on Craigslist, not that you really had to be told (only on Craigslist can you find ads like these)
Attached Images  

Last edited by kokolyia; 01-14-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
kokolyia
Pro

Enjoy!
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Run

I would not ever buy one of these cars from a dealer let alone a 4 wheel drive version that is leaking. My mechanical knowledge is limited but I would say unless you know how to rebuild a motor take a pass or get a quote to reseal.

Originally Posted by kokolyia
Enjoy!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I would not ever buy one of these cars from a dealer let alone a 4 wheel drive version that is leaking. My mechanical knowledge is limited but I would say unless you know how to rebuild a motor take a pass or get a quote to reseal.
What makes a leaking engine in a C4 worse than one in a C2. This could be the typical oil lines leaking but if it is the head gasket issue. He could be looking at thousands to have repaired. That is why i say low ball it or make it contingent on what needs to be done.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Run

Everyone's comfort level may be different. If your a Porsche mechanic my comment does not apply. If your not this car has 3 strikes (for my type of planning which is "can I stomach the worst case scenario").

1) I have gotten ripped of by a dealer a couple of times but never an individual.

2) The 4 wheel drive system which is 26 years old may be expensive to repair if it is not fully sorted

3) The car leaking may be tens of thousands )not thousands -ask me how I know).

Originally Posted by cobalt
What makes a leaking engine in a C4 worse than one in a C2. This could be the typical oil lines leaking but if it is the head gasket issue. He could be looking at thousands to have repaired. That is why i say low ball it or make it contingent on what needs to be done.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:19 PM
kokolyia
Pro

The only leaking in a 964 engine that one should be really worried about is the split seal where the block splits in half. Then you've got real trouble and will have to do a rebuild. That and oil gushing out are all bad things.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Everyone's comfort level may be different. If your a Porsche mechanic my comment does not apply. If your not this car has 3 strikes (for my type of planning which is "can I stomach the worst case scenario").

1) I have gotten ripped of by a dealer a couple of times but never an individual.

2) The 4 wheel drive system which is 26 years old may be expensive to repair if it is not fully sorted

3) The car leaking may be tens of thousands )not thousands -ask me how I know).
Problem is any 20+ year old air cooled 911 can be a maintenance nightmare. Tens of thousands on a rebuild would be an extreme scenario. Everyone is a thief and it is always buyer beware.

The more you educate yourself about these cars the easier it is to spot a potential problem. I agree The car could have costly repairs but until it is looked at closely we won't know so I wouldn't run until I investigate more closely. Make an offer contingent on a good PPI by an experienced air cooled 911 mechanic if it doesn't read well you can always walk. Finding any car without issues today is nearly an impossibility although the occasional one does pop up. The market has been combed over and most of the product is overpriced and not as described. If you want one you may have to settle and figure on sorting it out. Unfortunately anyone coming to the game now is on the late side.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Problem is any 20+ year old air cooled 911 can be a maintenance nightmare. Tens of thousands on a rebuild would be an extreme scenario. Everyone is a thief and it is always buyer beware.

The more you educate yourself about these cars the easier it is to spot a potential problem. I agree The car could have costly repairs but until it is looked at closely we won't know so I wouldn't run until I investigate more closely. Make an offer contingent on a good PPI by an experienced air cooled 911 mechanic if it doesn't read well you can always walk. Finding any car without issues today is nearly an impossibility although the occasional one does pop up. The market has been combed over and most of the product is overpriced and not as described. If you want one you may have to settle and figure on sorting it out. Unfortunately anyone coming to the game now is on the late side.
Spot on, excellently stated and damn good advice!

Quick Reply: Buy or Run?