Buy or Run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Wally-99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Buy or Run?

Hi Folks,

I am in the middle of negotiations for a 1990 Carrera 4 (see car below) and need to decide to proceed to a PPI - what do you think?

http://www.luxurysportautos.com/deta...-14370733.html

1-owner, Clean CarFax

Any help would be appreciated:

Brian
Old 01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks clean. i dont see anything that would make me run. would be nice to know if they are selling the car or consigning it because that would help with your negotiations.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's making you think run?

From the useless description as basic pics it looks clean. A see what the ppi uncovers.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it's in good shape. Really like the sport seats, you don't see those too often.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Looks like a nice car - upgraded suspension & sport seats are a huge plus! One owner, low mileage too.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Wally-99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some help from a local Rennlist member and he provided me the following "drive by observations for the 1990 Carrera 4:

Originally a Canadian car imported to US in 1993 andserviced locally in Portland, OR. No noticeable dings in the body panels; noapparent repaint.

EXTERNAL
  • Not so professional touch up of rock chips on hood. Lots of little blobs. (Picture)
  • Smile is straight but there is some underbody damage. (Picture)
  • Topside of engine behind the cooling fan is bone dry. Cooling fan has some corrosion. (Pictures)
  • Motor mounts are shot. (Picture)
  • Car is fairly damp underneath but not dripping (Pictures). Probably lack of gaskets on the heads and the typical timing chain leak. Does not look like the case seam is leaking.
  • Light rust on engine tin.

INTERNAL
  • Seats show a fair amount of creasing but leather is tight (no picture).
  • Dash dials are super clean, no cracks or flaking. Plastic gears on speedometer may need to be rebuilt however.
  • Clutch may need replacement (engaging high on the throw).
It is tough to evaluate this car from long distance.

Maybe most issues are due to lack of use?

Thanks

B
Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Go ahead with the ppi. Looks like she is a good buy based on what is written. I would also google the company selling it on rennlist and pelican. I purchased from someone else based on some feedback on the boards about that company.

Definitely get a proper ppi done. When i was looking i had dealerships do proper ppi from accross the country. Saved me making a few big expensive mistakes.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:37 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 964 on the PPI. The current market doesn't seem to favoring those buyers who hold for a PPI, but if you can stay in the hunt for this C4, definitely do it. We aren't talking about a 15k steal of a deal here, so make sure you know what you are getting into. All that aside, it does look clean.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Car looks pretty clean but agree some of the issues are from low usage.
Pay for a PPI with compression/leak down and to investigate the real source of the oil leaks. Budget appropriately. If basic gaskets and seals, not a big deal. If cylinders.... $$$$
The front pan dent will need to be addressed, and since this was a canada car more thoroughly investigate any corrosion issues.
This is pretty strong $ and to me assumes very few things need real addressing i.e. the big $ stuff is handled.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:05 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
+ 964 on the PPI. The current market doesn't seem to favoring those buyers who hold for a PPI, but if you can stay in the hunt for this C4, definitely do it. We aren't talking about a 15k steal of a deal here, so make sure you know what you are getting into. All that aside, it does look clean.
well put
Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Car looks pretty clean but agree some of the issues are from low usage.
Pay for a PPI with compression/leak down and to investigate the real source of the oil leaks. Budget appropriately. If basic gaskets and seals, not a big deal. If cylinders.... $$$$
The front pan dent will need to be addressed, and since this was a canada car more thoroughly investigate any corrosion issues.
This is pretty strong $ and to me assumes very few things need real addressing i.e. the big $ stuff is handled.
I would also want to know where in Canada it came from. Some areas use salt and some not so much. A C4 was likely driven in the winter over here and until you really get it apart you won't know where the salt, if used, ended up. That's a fair bit of coin.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really hard to find a truly great car. This one is priced like a great car, but falls a little short. Not saying it can't be great, but all the fixes needed should be in the negotiating.

Possibly a clutch? New set of tailights? Fixing the leaks? Repairing the rusted tin? fixing paint? All potentially over a thousand dollars, and potentially much more. No one wants to show off their new toy and open the hood to rusted tin and a corroded fan.

It is hard to describe a great car, and some people never really see the difference. Low miles doesn't make one great, an owner that never lets ANYTHING go unfixed and is proactive with the maintenance and care does. My dad has a mid 90's Impala SS with three times as many miles that would make this car, and my 911 also, look like an unloved rental. If you are a person that sees the difference, negotiate to fix everything, or keep walking
Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

^^ Think that's easier said than done, particularly with the limited supply of 964's. Also, there are so many unknowns it's an exercise in futility to try and negotiate "possibilities". If you try that tact, you can be sure to never actually end up with a car...
Old 01-13-2016, 04:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Strong money for a 90 C4 in basic color combo. Top side looks decent although they are claiming original paint. Obvious areas need to be addressed. Engine is probably original and with the oil could possibly use a top end.

You could low ball them and wave a PPI or offer $49k and give yourself a backdoor that if any panel is painted or engine needs a rebuild you can walk.

The rest is typical. In fact I would expect more rust on the engine tin and corrosion on the fan and housing if the car was mistreated or used in harsh salty winters.

The rest of what I see shows that the car seems to be a low mileage car. Hard to tell nowadays there are so many with false odo readings.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy on condition not miles. The rust you see may only be the tip of the iceberg. I'd be curious to see the typical areas around the windshield and fenders.
C4 from Canada is an all-year car back when it was new for sure.

I'm not saying this car isn't worth it. It's a driver quality car that needs some love. All depends what your pain tolerance is ultimately

Quick Reply: Buy or Run?