Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 AM
m_a_saunders
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Motul 300V Competition 15W50 - used and recommended by Meca Components in Switzerland
Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

If you plan on using your car every day for a 40 mile commute round trip or so, what oil is most recommended. I've seen a lot of racing oils recommended here but I only plan on tracking my car once or twice a year. What is a great all to in oil for long miles and great performance?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad Penn 20W50
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by kokolyia
If you plan on using your car every day for a 40 mile commute round trip or so, what oil is most recommended. I've seen a lot of racing oils recommended here but I only plan on tracking my car once or twice a year. What is a great all to in oil for long miles and great performance?
The reason why it's called "racing oil" is only due the the changes in regulation regarding the formula for normal road going oils. They don't have to conform to the street regs if they sell it for racing...

It's the same as incandescent light bulbs. If you cal them appliance bulbs or vibration resistant bulbs, you can make and sell them still...
Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
The reason why it's called "racing oil" is only due the the changes in regulation regarding the formula for normal road going oils. They don't have to conform to the street regs if they sell it for racing...

It's the same as incandescent light bulbs. If you cal them appliance bulbs or vibration resistant bulbs, you can make and sell them still...
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Originally Posted by Mixter
Brad Penn 20W50
And thank you too!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

Be careful w/ 'racing' oil, it usually has a different additive package, the most common deletion is the detergents that allow for longer time between oil changes. Most racing oil is changed after a day or two of use for this reason. I'm sure there are exceptions but I'd exercise due diligence before using any 'racing' oil.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes bill...I agree. I was more speaking to the likes of Brad Penn using the racing oil moniker...which is essentially a good street oil labeled as racing. (And also works for track duty as well) - ie, it's not just for racing...

As much as these oil threads always drone on... I always enjoy them, and they definitely keep a lot of guys here in the know about what not to do or to use, and that's important with so many new owners coming around these days. Good stuff...

Quick Reply: Motor oil