Sponsored by:

Well...could be worse.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well...could be worse.

On the anxiety filled journey that is removing ones old as hell heat exchangers, there were some emotional moments.

Fortunately, soaking with PB blaster for a two days freed up a lot of the stuff, but not everything. One of those allen/barrel nuts started slipping on me, the VERY LAST ONE I needed to get loose. Everything else came off with some a little force and some of those scary creaks when something has been sitting for a long time. So I let this one barrel nut soak for another day, hit it with heat the next day, trying to be careful and not set the oil on the valve covers on fire.

But, it even starts rounding a bit more. Out of desperation and frustration I think about hammering on a 9mm allen and trying that, but halfway in I think of another set of tool in my fathers tool bag. They are these long allen wrenches with a t-bar like attachment, with all my strength it starts creaking loose bit by bit. BUT THE WHOLE STUD comes out with it. I prayed to all aircooled gods that it didn't snap, although it seems to be permanently seized to the nut.

The associating problem could be that the sockets I bought arent squared off but rounded at the top, with max grab being around the middle of the head, but only quarter of the ball fit in.

Moral of story...double check your tools, even when you think you have the right thing. Have a stud on order now, but got the other side fitted with the shiny goodness.

PS; I still can't split the two heat exchangers from each other for easier storage, after soaking and everything, it just seems to want to round the head of the bolt.

Some pics to go with the lackluster story.

Name:  20151218_110525_zpslkwqlsfn.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  20151218_112142_zpsj6k7wdj9.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  20151218_115812_zps2uqskiwf.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  270.2 KB
Old 12-18-2015, 04:05 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you got them all out! I have yet to tackle this project, to many other things at the moment. Only way I'm taking them off is if I get new headers. I think mine where remove by the PO to put on a new oil line.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what seems to be a minimal job always magnifies 5x in a 964. such life
Old 12-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm amazed you had trouble with only 1 fastener given that you were using those wiggly head bits. I would not approach that job with that tool. I guess the penetrating oil prep work really worked.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Amazing. You got lucky

Buy the sir tools Allen socket for the barrel nuts on the heat exchangers...it's worth it.

New hardware and lots of copper paste when you reassemble...
Old 12-19-2015, 07:16 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've mentioned this before. Dip the end of the Allen wrench in some motor oil, then in some fine sand.
The sand takes up the slack. worked for me on a rounded steering rack bolt.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Amazing. You got lucky

Buy the sir tools Allen socket for the barrel nuts on the heat exchangers...it's worth it.

Do you have a tool number for it?

EDIT: Looks like it's Sir Tools P243

Thanks

Last edited by Super90; 12-19-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Nothing more frustrating and even worse when it is the last of them to be a PITA.

A lesson I learned a long time ago especially when something has not been disassembled for a long time. I always give them a solid shot with a 2.5 pound or heavier hammer to make sure they are well seated before ever applying pressure. Similar to the seat bolt issue. Once it slips and gauls the nut you're done. Never liked the design myself that is why I keep two sets of those in stock. A lot of people swap them out with 12mm nuts. You can get a 12mm socket through there but not 13.

Glad you were able to get it off. You're not to far away if you run into trouble I have about every tool imaginable I am happy to help if I can.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Mechanics Rule #1 - if you are going to have issues it will be with the last bolt, but or kit you are trying to take off or put on. This is applicable to all situations.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

But should be nut
Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the new stud comes, whats the best way to thread it in, the two nut method with some of the heavy duty/red loctite?

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Glad you got them all out! I have yet to tackle this project, to many other things at the moment. Only way I'm taking them off is if I get new headers. I think mine where remove by the PO to put on a new oil line.
The whole thing is taking much more time than I anticipated, but its one of those things which I have some anxiety approaching. Kept thinking, "14 of these exhaust manifold studs, which one will snap first".

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
what seems to be a minimal job always magnifies 5x in a 964. such life
Porsche engineers def. did an interesting design with these heat exchangers, its one tough cookie. I'm just glad this car was not run in the winter, otherwise I think things would have gone differently. But I would not approach this as a minimal job, I'd say time, lots of penetrating oil, a torch, and gentle small movements on the wrench.

Originally Posted by Vandit
I'm amazed you had trouble with only 1 fastener given that you were using those wiggly head bits. I would not approach that job with that tool. I guess the penetrating oil prep work really worked.
Originally Posted by Goughary
Amazing. You got lucky

I really believe the penetrating oil did a number, because some of those nuts and studs have seen better days. I'm not going to put the barrel bolts back on, think I'l just do the regular nut. What sometimes bugs me is that despite my all the tools in the garage, most my fathers, I still have to end up getting stuff for almost every other project on this car. From the sockets to the swivel head.

Originally Posted by newsboy
I've mentioned this before. Dip the end of the Allen wrench in some motor oil, then in some fine sand.
The sand takes up the slack. worked for me on a rounded steering rack bolt.
I also had one of those round off, I hammered in the socket and it gently gave. But its interesting advice.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nothing more frustrating and even worse when it is the last of them to be a PITA.

A lesson I learned a long time ago especially when something has not been disassembled for a long time. I always give them a solid shot with a 2.5 pound or heavier hammer to make sure they are well seated before ever applying pressure. Similar to the seat bolt issue. Once it slips and gauls the nut you're done. Never liked the design myself that is why I keep two sets of those in stock. A lot of people swap them out with 12mm nuts. You can get a 12mm socket through there but not 13.

Glad you were able to get it off. You're not to far away if you run into trouble I have about every tool imaginable I am happy to help if I can.
Thanks Cobalt, I also did use the hammer on this cautiously, although the hammer helped me out the most on the steering rack bolts.

Originally Posted by Gus
Mechanics Rule #1 - if you are going to have issues it will be with the last bolt, but or kit you are trying to take off or put on. This is applicable to all situations.
I couldn't believe it too, was so happy everything was coming loose so easily and then bam, slap in the face.

Name:  20151218_131937_zps0svvrrzj.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  113.0 KB

Quick Reply: Well...could be worse.