Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the crank reference sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:15 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this job on my car recently. Since doing it I was told by my local Porsche indy that they use a sensor from a 928 to retain the original connector. Not sure if completely accurate but may be helpful?

After the initial fitting, I had problems with the plug connector and ended up redoing it. I decided to solder the wires to the pins rather than just crimping. This cured my random starting issues, and the car runs sweet now.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:13 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Just took some pics of my connector. Are you sure the plugs and wires are correct? Did you set the gap for the sensor as per specs?
Thanks John. I'll check my connection again. As for the gap, I don't see how I could check the gap. Not enough room to get my hands up in there if I could.

And backitoff, if I redo the connection I'm going to solder it instead of crimping.
Went with crimping this first time around.

When you redid it, did you have to cut the wires again or were you able to pull the connectors out of the housing?
Old 03-20-2016, 04:00 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by klokwerk
Thanks John. I'll check my connection again. As for the gap, I don't see how I could check the gap. Not enough room to get my hands up in there if I could.

And backitoff, if I redo the connection I'm going to solder it instead of crimping.
Went with crimping this first time around.

When you redid it, did you have to cut the wires again or were you able to pull the connectors out of the housing?
I pulled the pins back out of the plug, (you can put a very small screwdriver up the side of the pins to release them). I then cut the pins off, and did them again using solder.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:12 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Thanks backitoff. I'll be redoing it.
I checked my wiring and the right colored wires are attached to the right pins, but I'm still not getting it to start.
This was one thing to fix that could have caused my no start problem. I'll check the other things first then return to this connector.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

I bought this part recently, looks to have the original connector. The price varies massively but I got one from Germany for about €120.

https://infopart.org/bosch-0261210059-part
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Good information. Doing this shortly... bookmarked.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:48 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Bringing this back up again...

I've sorted out the rest of my electrical issues in my car involving my non start problem after a car wash.

I've also determined that my old multi-meter was a pile of crap, so I bought a new one and low and behold, I'm not getting any signal from the sensor to the DME under my seat.

I tested that by looking for 12v at pins 47 & 48 on the harness leading into the DME. I get nothing.

So, how do I properly test the new sensor because now I'm worried I have either a defective one or not the right one, or a poorly installed one.

How do I determine the following:
-which wire is the Power Circuit.
-which wire is the Ground Circuit.
-which wire is the Signal Wire.

From the diagram on the earlier page of this thread, which sensor shown, is the reference sensor? Guessing the last one on the bottom?
Thanks!!!

Last edited by klokwerk; 04-11-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by klokwerk
Bringing this back up again...

I've sorted out the rest of my electrical issues in my car involving my non start problem after a car wash.

I've also determined that my old multi-meter was a pile of crap, so I bought a new one and low and behold, I'm not getting any signal from the sensor to the DME under my seat.

I tested that by looking for 12v at pins 47 & 48 on the harness leading into the DME. I get nothing.

So, how do I properly test the new sensor because now I'm worried I have either a defective one or not the right one, or a poorly installed one.

Can I test for signal from the connector coming out of the sensor directly? What should those voltages be at the pins? And which pins?

Thanks!!!
So your looking for 2+volts AC between pins 47 and 48 while cranking. Second pair of hands helpful. Less than 2v and the car won't start, which may mean the gap is greater than 1 mm.

I guess you could test this at the connector in the engine bay too to eliminate a harness issue.

Check the DME is powered on ignition too by checking for 12v at pin 37.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Thanks NateSaJack for that info.
Do you happen to know what voltages on what pins in the engine bay at the harness connection I should be getting?

I want to make sure that I've got all the bases covered here.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Sorry Klockwerk didn't see your Q.

The images on page one show the sensor connector, look for AC v there, if its the same as at the DME connector then I guess you have no issues in the harness.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

From the Manual
Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default crank sensor

bosch still makes the stock sensor # 0261210059. napa sells them and autozone I got mine from fcp euro and it has the right plug for direct fit.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wallra
bosch still makes the stock sensor # 0261210059. napa sells them and autozone I got mine from fcp euro and it has the right plug for direct fit.
What!!!???? Really!!??

Let me stop by and see if I can still get one. I bought all the parts to do the upgrade, but if I can avoid having to change the plug in the car's harness, even better.

Thank you for the information!

Last edited by Wachuko; 04-16-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:09 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Originally Posted by wallra
This would have been great to have earlier! Oh man.
Too bad I've already cut the harness connection and upgraded the plug to the oval.

Good news is I can confirm that my connections are good with voltage and continuity checks.

Today, I was finally able to measure the distance from the tip of the new sensor to the flywheel teeth and it's just a hair over 2mm. This is outside of spec so I'm going to adjust and remeasure then test again.

Hopefully that will bring an end to my crank position sensor dilemma.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Thanks John, Nate and others! I'm positive I've got the new sensor and connector working right.
All of the voltages at the testable locations look good and I'm positive I've got the gap set correctly.

Unfortunately I'm still not getting spark to my plugs. I'll continue my investigation in my other thread about no start after car wash.

Thanks again and sorry I'm a slow learner!

Quick Reply: Replacing the crank reference sensor