Sponsored by:

Service Shop Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Service Shop Opinion

Brought my car back to my shop after a valve adjustment because I noticed a few more minor leaks. This is what they said:

"After examining your vehicle, we found no leaks from previous repairs. The oil you're noticing is coming from the areas we showed you at your last visit which you declined. We have attached photographs of the current leaks and the areas that we repaired. The clear fluid that you were concerned with is coming from the 4-wheel drive actuating solenoids. This seems to be your major leak at this point, along with the chain housings. There is a minor leak coming from the transmission gaskets and seals but this would require dissembling the transmission to correct. Other minor leaks that were noted are: cam boxes, cylinder heads, valve covers (which may be warped) and the rear main seal. We have provided a list of parts only for the transmission actuators.

The leaks you have are very time consuming and expensive to repair. We can work up a final estimate but alone for the actuator you're looking at $1430 in parts alone. "

Any of this stuff need to be done right away? Is it all as major as my shop tells me? Any help would be appreciate. TIA!!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Your car is probably just fine mechanically, the problem is the 25 year old o-rings that are brittle and worthless at this point. I dropped my engine on my C2 and basicaly replaced all the gaskets called out here. There is an actuator seal rebuild kit that can take care of the $1430 for a $100 or so.

If its just a few drips after putting the car back in the garage then that is normal. I would fix the 4 wheel drive actuating solenoids and then bleed the entire hydraulic system. 9M sells the actuator solenoid seal kits. I bought a couple for the future.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

JMHO, but you really need to trust your shop and if you suspect they are not looking out for YOUR best interests, its time to find one that will.

I would simply offer that if they note a major leak that needs immediate attention, I would suggest listening closely to that sage advice. Low oil levels due to leaks causes VERY VERY expensive troubles that cost far more than $1500. Unless you can monitor and top oil levels as needed, I'd recommend having that repaired properly.

The rest of the engine oil leaks are normal for engines that have not been resealed or rebuilt.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Your car is probably just fine mechanically, the problem is the 25 year old o-rings that are brittle and worthless at this point. I dropped my engine on my C2 and basicaly replaced all the gaskets called out here. There is an actuator seal rebuild kit that can take care of the $1430 for a $100 or so.

If its just a few drips after putting the car back in the garage then that is normal. I would fix the 4 wheel drive actuating solenoids and then bleed the entire hydraulic system. 9M sells the actuator solenoid seal kits. I bought a couple for the future.
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi,

JMHO, but you really need to trust your shop and if you suspect they are not looking out for YOUR best interests, its time to find one that will.

I would simply offer that if they note a major leak that needs immediate attention, I would suggest listening closely to that sage advice. Low oil levels due to leaks causes VERY VERY expensive troubles that cost far more than $1500. Unless you can monitor and top oil levels as needed, I'd recommend having that repaired properly.

The rest of the engine oil leaks are normal for engines that have not been resealed or rebuilt.
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I do trust my shop but wanted to get some additional opinions. Had no idea that there was a rebuilt kit for the solenoids! That's good news and should save me some $, assuming the rebuild labor doesn't cost as much as a new part.

As for the oil leaks, I addressed the major leaks last month during my 60k service. Had both main oil lines replaced as they were leaking at the filter housing. Also had the camshaft seal replaced. The rest will be done at a later date.

Also realizing that I had my shop remove that "dreaded" engine tray at this last service and this is why I'm seeing more oil on the ground then I'm used to. Just a few drops but the tray was catching it all previously.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The actuator seal kit is easy to install. Labor to R&R the solenoids will be the same as replacing with new, plus maybe a half hour additional to build the cylinders.

Quick Reply: Service Shop Opinion