Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen these Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The signal massager (ARC/PSC/iLink) controller gives a more accurate reading of how much air the car is swallowing but not that your sucking more air than you would be with your old barndoor AFM. The 964 has a fixed WOT fueling schedule. The PSC1-003 has only two outputs to the ECU; AFM and temperature (which they fake at a constant 70F.) To get any real benefit you need to tell the ECU that there is more air available and to add fuel to compensate or you'll run way too lean. Without modifying the DME EPROM I can't see how you would increase fueling and spark advance unless you went to a standalone engine management system.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-30-2003 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2003 | 01:21 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting - i know that Porsche used a Set fuel map based on throttle position (I think). But is not the route to use if you are going to dynamically set the fuel map based on airflow.
you are going to have to set it up on a dyno to get the A/F mix right (along with a real time monitoring system).
Also since you are going this far - i would sugest increasing the flow of your fuel injectors to take advanatage of the increased head room in your EMS. you can get injectors which will flow 50% more (the largest that i know of) this will prevent you from running too lean. the Fuel injectors work on a duration of pulse (which you can set in the EMS) concept.
Are you going to set it up (the EMS) or have someone there - set it up?
I'm actually heading to singapore at the end of the month - love to see the car.
Old 09-30-2003 | 02:06 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Rob,
I would have someone set it up on a dyno. I'd probably go with high fuel pressure rather than bigger injectors as it's more economical. Any drawbacks to this? Some say it would over heat the injectors - True?

It's the end of the month already! You here now? or are you referring to October? I'll PM you my number so call me when you get in (give me a headsup a week before so I know not to schedule any business travel if I can).
Old 09-30-2003 | 02:20 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

October - sorry forgot about that part. Not 100% sure however.
the system is rated at 14-12 PSI with a delivery rate of 1500cc/30sec.
I think there is some head room but you are taking the same pulse duration and pumping more fuel through it in theory. i think the injectors will max out b/c of the limits of them.
i'll bring another set of injectors with me that you can have (i'll take some beers in trade) since i'm returning my car to stock after the wreck.
Old 09-30-2003 | 02:37 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

That's awful nice of you rob. You will get your chilli crabs! I will even get at least 30 911s of all ages to get together just for you

PS sorry to hear about the crash. hope wasnt too serious
Old 09-30-2003 | 02:54 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very Cool - I've been craving them For about a year now (since my last vist) - the injectors are the F5TE-C1A - Flow matched - Good for 24lbs of flow. They should work for your car. (but don't have PET loaded on this computer)
Old 10-01-2003 | 12:06 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

I just placed my order for the Gruppe M Carbon/Kevlar intake kit. Haven't been able to concentrate at work so I figure as expoensive as it may be, it makes more financial sense than being fired from constant day dreaming

Only 28 days to go....you see, in order to run it in they need to fly it from Japan to London and then back to me in Singapore.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:33 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Pzull

Have you seen this intake?

http://cgi.es.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....DME:B:DS:ES:28

ALEX
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:41 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

That's no intake, that's an exhaust muffler fitted at the wrong end of the engine!

Just kidding, no I didnt come across that. Looks interesting but the intake still sits somewhere too far inside the engine bay for me. You know i actually thought of making my intake from a hole cut through the rear fender something like the 996TT.....but i woke up
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:38 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's Special looks like a Mower muffler
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:41 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Rob, while you're here....what's the cup car exhaust system like? It must be different from C2/4 stock right?
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:49 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, actually no it's not on the Carrera Cup USA Editions.
It is a basic 964 system (and Air Filter too) - This is the AS delivered System.
the Racing system is a Bypass Pipe replacing the primary muffler and a U-Shaped Exhaust tip which replaces the secondary (under fender) muffler.
Basically a straight pipe. The Air Box is replaced with a cone filter and that's it. Very basic, loud, and light. the DME is different as well (an 001 unit if i remember correctly)
I did run a prototype Ti muffler in the One Lap and that was by far the best system i have ever run (and heard) - it's loud but does not resonate. very trick. Should be advailable in the very near future to everyone. this muffler replaced the stock Cat and used the stock headers (which are very good for Flow btw).
Old 10-03-2003 | 02:10 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

OK please freeze the sound in your head and tell me how it compares to mine when you hear it soon, inside and outside the car. I'm very curious about Ti sound

You're kidding about the 964 stock headers right? They are almost as bad as can be. Non-mandrel bends, unequal primaries that are too short, way unequal secondaries that are too long. Exhaust pulses clashing & colliding worse than the devil dancing in the pale moonlight.
Old 10-05-2003 | 04:55 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not really -
this is the stock system discected - what you can see are the header tubes cut away from the heat exchanger. Very interesterting esp if you have looked at some of the other systems out there. (B&B, FabSpeed, Etc). it's actually pretty good.
Old 10-05-2003 | 05:20 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a Pic of the Ti Muffler that was on my car - Sorry for the large and bad quality of this one (tired and too laszy to cut it down right now) and were were working on the car at the time, so the overall quality is not great. I am looking for my other Pic's of it installed.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen these Intakes?