964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen these Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003 | 09:13 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Hmm. Ok not too shabby. The one I saw which I was told came from a stock 964 looked quite unlike yours, but then I didn't see that one come off a 964 so the person could have been mistaken.

Why do they use bolts for the muffler. I hear Ti is tough to weld. Can it be TIG welded or is it some special process? I found so Ti mufflers that I want to experiment with. It uses noise cancellation as opposed to absorbtion or baffles as it typical mufflers. It's made by Corsa. Anyone heard of them?
Old 10-05-2003 | 09:16 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Cross section of Corsa looks like pic below. It is straight through and uses reflected sounds waves to cancel out the incoming wave. No stuffing as well. Looks efficient and light weight
Old 10-05-2003 | 03:38 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Ti Muffler was a bit diffent. it used a couple of hundered holes dilled through the exhaust pipe (which was striaght through as above) but did not use any other baffling inside the muffler - it was hollow. this basically just created a resonance chamber that bounced the sound waves around inside of it.
the reason for the bolts was that these peices were SS. the connection from the headers to through the tail pipe was SS only the Muffler was Ti. But the pipe inside of it was SS. This was done b/c Ti oxidizes at high temps making it brittle. Since this was a test piece (and we were worried about it lasting for the 5k miles of the one lap) SS was used.
BTW the entire system (except headers) weighed 13 some odd pounds, a dramatic reduction from stock. The Newer versions are using Ti for the entire assembly since we did not find any issues with heat once the cat is removed.
Old 10-05-2003 | 03:42 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

the stock headers are totally hidden in heat exchangers - these were just bought from a wrecking yard and discected to get weight, bends, etc.
There was a replacement set made that is 40% lighter than stock but exactly like stock - it's admazing what you can do with a really talented (a true artist) welder.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen these Intakes?