Sponsored by:

What could I be thinking!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 03:01 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What could I be thinking!?

Well I think I made the decision to make the move to a 993 (sorry guys) but I need a coupe for driver school and I fell in love with varioram (or is it variocam?). Here are some pics of what I may be giving up... let me know what you think?

Rob

http://www.incitesales.net/mwas/inve....asp?adid=2090
Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're simply swapping one of the world's greatest cars for another - nothing to worry about there!

Old 09-27-2003, 09:19 AM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're crazy, look at those curves! The 993 is so anemic after looking at that car.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Too bad you can't keep both... nice car!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: What could I be thinking!?

Originally posted by R Montgomery
I need a coupe for driver school
I think that's a great reason to switch but why not a 964 coupe?

The only problem I've seen with a 993 or 996 on the track is that their owners feel they're TOO NICE to push hard. Seriously! You avoid dropping it into second out of the slow corners and you're shifting well before the red line. When you spend $35-$45K on one of those cars, there's a tendancy to baby it. And after being pelted with marbles and getting a couple wheels off, you start to wonder if it's really such a good idea to track your p-car.

Now, with a 964 the initial cash outlay is significantly less and the NICE factor diminishes somewhat. They're a little older, have a few more miles and stone chips, so you're not as reluctant to "get it dirty." But they're still wonderful cars around town and their performance is not too shabby, either. Get some race pads, firm up the suspension and you've got a very formidable track tool as well as a cool everyday driver.

Of course, if money is no object, then please disregard this post.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:44 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Rob,
I just recently purchased a 90 C2 Cab and was dissapointed to find I could not run it in any of he PCA DE events. I really wanted to drive my car on a track and get more of a feel for it. After some research I found that the Tracquest events are open to Cab's without rollbars. Not all of the tracks where they run are open to Cab's w/o rollbars although there are a few that are (Watkins Glen..Oct. 25th being one of them). I may still get a coupe if I get hooked and decide I need to be able to run in the PCA events (they are cheaper and more frequent, along with the social benifit). Just something to think about. Really love top down driving and would hate to give it up.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:33 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Joey,
Going to my first DE in late Oct. ...What do you mean by "marbles" and "a couple of wheels off"? I like to drive my car but at the same time I do want to keep it as nice as I can. Do you find that these events are hard on the cars? Is there more of a risk for rock and pebble marks at the track? Thanks for any input and advice.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:03 AM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jford,

Welcome to Rennlist! I'll take a stab at your questions:

"marbles" = little rocks or other debris on the track. Joey alluded to these being kicked up and damaging your paintwork. Marbles can also make some turns VERY exciting, due to there being less traction.

"two wheels off" = pretty sure he meant having two wheels off the track, probably when tracking out of a turn and getting a bit wide.

Yes, Driver's Eds are probably a bit harder on the car than street driving or autocrosses. Lots of drivers protect their paint with bras or tape. However, since you're not racing, you can probably keep a good bit of distance between other cars. Also, your instructor should be able to help you keep the line, and will probably ask you to drive conservatively. So, two wheels off is probably not going to happen this time around. But then again...

If you are interested in purchasing a bra for your 964, please let me know -- I just happen to have a Colgan two-piece bra (black vinyl) and the mirror covers as well.

--Melissa
Old 09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Melissa, for the clarification.

jford,

Yes, DE events can be a bit tough on cars. There may be alternatives, however, that will allow you to experience the track without some of the mess.

When you run with PCA in Chicago, your car will get pelted because many of the drivers use sticky, R-compound tires which kick up road debris. If you participate in the BMW Driver Schools, however, most of the cars run on street tires so your car takes less abuse. Also, the PCA events are very fast and aggressive while the bimmer schools are low-key, i.e. no timing equipment and constant in-car instruction. Your less likely to push too hard with someone in your car and the focus is more on technique than speed.

Most PCA novices run on street tires, so you should have some clean runs. Start slow, learn the lines and try to keep it smooth. It's when you progress into the faster run groups that track abuse becomes an issue, so enjoy your first DE. You're going to have a blast!

Quick Reply: What could I be thinking!?